We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, February 2, 2009

Let's give a warm welcome to Antonia Tiranth

When I first received my acceptance letter from Lyrical Press, I nearly fell out of my chair. When I was asked to write a blog for You Gotta Read, I was extremely flattered. When I found out I was blogging between Alexis Morgan and Cindy Miles, I died. (LOVE those ladies!) Even now, I still can't believe I'm a published author and I'm guest blogging so what to write about? (Go figure writer at a loss for words)

Well lets start simple, a question I get a lot is "Why writing?" Well, why not writing? I can't draw worth a damn, so why not paint pictures with words instead? I've been writing for as long as I can recall. I remember way back when, middle or elementary school I think, being given a picture of eight children sitting on the front porch of a log cabin and told to write a story. The rest of the kids in my glass groaned, I giggled with glee, my mind already weaving a tale of werewolves and lost parents. I've written so many things over the years, 90% of them not seeing the light of day and not ever finished. But that's okay. For me, writing is very personal, a piece of me laid out on the page. Its hard to share that with people sometimes.

Next question I would say is "How did you do it?" It all started with NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. It's a "contest" that happens every November and its more of a writing challenge than a contest. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. When I first signed up, two weeks before it started, I had no clue what I was going to write. I thought it was a pipe dream to even think I was going to write 20k (everything I'd written previously, with the exception of a joint work) was less than 15k. And did I mention I had no clue what I was going to write about? So I looked at my muse, Shirak and I said "Help me out here." Of course, that never works, so I started to demand, beg, plead, cry. Then it hit me, or rather Shirak gave me the eye roll (they do that a lot). My muse is a dragon, he has a human form, and a form somewhere in the middle. I'm a dragon fanatic, so why not write about dragons? The rest you probably can figure out.

And the big question : "How did you get it published?" That answer is simple. My friend kicked me in the rump. I'm really serious about that. I don't think I ever would have sent it to LPI if Del hadn't kicked me. I sat on it for almost a year, "editing" (really I was hemming and hawing over it). She sent me Lyrical's call for submissions (and it helped their logo has dragons, it was a sign!) and I sent it in.

And so from all this comes my very first published book, The Quickening. It's the story of Josephine and Aerandir. Jo finds out that there is more to her old high school friend than meets the eye. He is a Rikashi, one of a race of dragon shifters who have lived among humans, hidden for hundreds of years. Now, however, Rikashi are missing, among them Aer's brother Shirak. Jo and Aer need to solve the mystery of who is killing the Rikashi and why. Hopefully this will be the first in a series that I am calling the Rikashi Files. Book Two is in the works and Book Three is written but awaiting my editing. Give it a look. Hope you enjoy it.

So what can you take away from this? If you want to publish something, you gotta go for it. You gotta stick your neck out there. If one publisher turns you down, try another. That's all from me. See you around!

-------

Read Our Review of The Quickening

Watch the booktrailer

7 comments:

M-square said...

Hi Tir!
Is Shirak going to get his own book, and does Karen make a re-appearance? What stories are you working on now?
Also you confess to a "fondness" for dragons -what brought that about? And do you find yourself collecting dragon items too (smile)

Tami said...

Welcome to you Tir and thank you for sharing in our Grand Opening celebrations. I wish you the best of luck on this book and all your other books. (I can't wait to read them all!)

Tami

Antonia said...

M-Square : Yes, Shirak is the focus of the next book ^.^ Which I am working on now. I hope to have the edits done by the end of the week and send it to my editor.

M-square said...

Okay! That's exciting news about Shirak, and without giving away plot twists, are the little folks making an appearance again???

Cindy Miles said...

Beautiful cover, Antonia! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Antonia said...

Ah sorry M...missed a few questions there didn't I? Well, I don't really know where my fondness came from. I'm mean I've always been a fantasy type person and the dragons just kinda grew on me till they just stuck around.

As for Karen...no, she doesn't come back.


Thank you so much Cindy!!

lastnerve said...

Thanks for doing the interview Antonia! I loved learning more about you and can't wait to read the book!