We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, March 13, 2009

Throw some salt over your left shoulder and say "Hi" to Samantha Gentry

SAMANTHA GENTRY


An interesting week starting today…Friday the 13th…and continuing through St. Patrick's Day on March 17th. And if I have any room left over on this blog, I'll talk a bit about my books.


It's Friday the 13th —Does it make you stop and think?

Triskaidekaphobia: Fear of the number thirteen.

Paraskevidekatriaphobia: Fear of Friday the 13th.

An obviously irrational concept that a mere number can bring bad luck to someone. Or that a specific day of the week can be unlucky. But that doesn't stop us from dwelling on the possibility.

The tradition of Friday being a day of back luck dates back centuries with some of the more common theories linking it to significant events in Christian tradition believed to have taken place on Friday such as the Crucifixion, Eve offering Adam the apple in the Garden of Eden, the beginning of the great flood.

Many sources for the superstition surrounding the number thirteen and its association with bad luck also derive from Christianity with the Last Supper being cited as the origin. Judas was the thirteenth person to be seated at the table.

And when you put the two bad luck symbols together you get Friday the 13th…the day associated with misfortune.

Superstition is a belief or notion not based on reason or knowledge. An irrational belief. Lots of superstitions came into being during the Dark Ages, a time when living conditions were so severe that people reached out to anything that might bring them help and solace with the results being explanations for what seemed unexplainable at the time. Religious beliefs and lack of scientific knowledge helped to spawn many superstitions.

Superstitions differ from culture to culture, but we all have them even if it's only paying surface homage to the concept. We often follow the tradition of the superstition without really knowing why it's the traditional thing to do.

Do you have any superstitions that you hold dear? Are they more of a traditional situation handed down through your family or are they superstitions that have come down through the ages? I'd like to hear about them.

And after Friday the 13th, we move on to Tuesday, March 17th which is St. Patrick's Day. And more superstitions associated with good luck? To find a four leaf clover is considered good luck. And what about leprechauns? If you're lucky enough to catch one, he has to show you where he hides his pot of gold.

The man for whom the holiday is named, St. Patrick, is considered the patron saint of Ireland. But St. Patrick wasn't Irish. He was born in Britain and was believed to have died March 17, around 460A.D. Many of the stories associated with St. Patrick, including the famous account of his banishing all the snakes from Ireland, are false—the products of hundreds of years of exaggerated storytelling.

The first St. Patrick's Day parade took place not in Ireland, but in the United States in New York City on March 17, 1762. In modern day Ireland, St. Patrick's Day has traditionally been a religious occasion. In fact, up until the 1970s, Irish laws mandated that pubs be closed on March 17. Today St. Patrick's Day is celebrated by people of all backgrounds. On March 17th it seems that everyone is Irish.

And now I'd like to talk a bit about my upcoming releases and my Encounter books—UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER, MASKED ENCOUNTER, and STEAMY ENCOUNTER—novellas available at The Wilder Roses www.thewilderroses.com, the Scarlet Rose line of erotic romances from The Wild Rose Press. Each Encounter comes from a different dynamic enveloping the hero and heroine.

In UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER, there are two characters who know each other in a business setting but do not work together. They openly flirt with each other but to Shasta's disappointment, Dane does not ask her out. Then they encounter each other in a totally unexpected situation far removed from the daily business routine. Shasta now knows Dane's carefully guarded secret. But will they be able to overcome the obstacles that have control of his life in order to develop a true relationship?



MASKED ENCOUNTER has two characters who have worked together for three years. Jonathon is the dynamic owner of the company and Trish is his administrative assistant. Jonathon has the utmost respect for her office skills and considers her a valued employee, but he has never thought of her in any other light. Trish respects his ethics and abilities, but has also lusted after him from the moment they first met to the point where she has erotic dreams about him. Does she dare manipulate circumstances so she can have one night of hot sex with her boss? And will one night be enough?

In STEAMY ENCOUNTER, Afton and Gage each have emotional baggage from previous relationships that have left them scarred and afraid to expose a carefully guarded vulnerability. The relationship between these two emotionally closed off people progresses from adversaries, to a can't keep our hands off each other physical relationship and culminates in an emotional bonding that allows them to trust each other and forge a future together.



I have two upcoming releases from The Wild Rose Press. DÉJÀ VU is a romantic suspense mystery from their Crimson Rose line. And FORBIDDEN ISLAND, another Scarlet Rose erotic romance, is part of the Destination Pleasure series at The Wilder Roses.

Blurbs, excerpts, and reviews of my books can be found at my website, www.samanthagentry.com, along with a short biography and what my typical day is like. And while you're there, be sure to check out my movie trivia contest.


I've enjoyed being with you today. Hopefully you'll survive the rest of Friday the 13th without encountering any black cats or walking under any ladders. (Knock on wood.)


10 comments:

Christina Phillips said...

Interesting blog, Samantha! For some reason I've always liked Friday 13th, but that might be because I'm a little weird! I also think black cats are lucky but I never walk under a ladder, in case a tin of paint drops on my head!!

Sharon Donovan said...

Hi Samantha. Being Irish, I'm superstitious by nature. I have good luck charms all over the house including a lucky shamrock over my door that once clonked on my head, a lady bug I wear when gambling, add a musical fairy I wind before writing and reading reviews. And when a black kitten crossed my path one Friday the 13th which just happened to be Halloween, I gave him a home for twenty years. The little demon had razor-sharp claws and what name more befitting than Freddy Krueger!

Samantha Gentry said...

Christina: I've never been concerned about Friday the 13th, either. Probably why I decided to blog on this date. I don't walk under ladders, either, for the same reason. Gotta watch out for those stray cans of paint!!

Samantha Gentry said...

Sharon: You've got to wonder just how lucky a shamrock is when it conks you on the head! And I love the concept of the black cat with the razor sharp claws being named Freddy Krueger. Very fitting!

conb00 said...

Hi Samantha, I'm Irish, Not very superstitiuos, but I do knock on wood from time to time. HA! HA!

Samantha Gentry said...

conb00: I know what you mean. I think we all have superstitions we do even though we claim we don't believe in them. Making a wish before blowing out the candles on our birthday cake is another one we do even though we don't know why.

Tami said...

I knock on wood all the time (good thing my head's made of wood!). Thanks Samantha for blogging with us today! Happy 13th to you all!

Samantha Gentry said...

Tami: Thanks, it's a pleasure to be here.

It's also a pleasure to be inside. I'm looking out my window at snow flurries.

Linda Wisdom said...

Great post, Samantha!

I don't know, I think 13 is one of my lucky numbers. And any superstitions is more to do with my writing.

Linda

Samantha Gentry said...

Linda: Thanks for stopping by. There are certain occupations that seem to lend themselves to superstitutions. Certainly sports and gambling. But I think writing falls into that category, too.

And speaking of things like superstitutions, I just read Wicked By Any Other Name, the latest in your series. Great read!