We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, March 20, 2009

Welcome Jaxx Steele and a Contest

Hello everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Jaxx Steele, author of gay romance. I am guest blogging on this site and I can only hope that you will like what I have to say. Believe me when I tell you that I thought long and hard on what to say here. I had no clue what to write about until last night and it was only because my sweetheart asked me a question. “What was the question?” you ask. The question was, what do you do when you get blocked on what to write when you are writing for yourself?

I thought about that for a moment. So I asked myself, “What do I do when I get writers block or just get stumped when I am writing?” So I decided to blog about that. What I do when I get writers block. Maybe my answers may help someone in their own time of blockage.

As a romance writer I have many rituals that I go through to help my flow of writing. For instance, I usually play music, a lot of Luther Vandross, Barry White, some old Keith Sweat, you baby making music and I also wear this silky shirt that Hou ( that’s my sweetie, for those who don’t know that) brought me a few years ago because it feels good on my skin. You might think it is weird, but trust me, it works. It puts me in the mood to write sensual scenes and romantic moments. Atmosphere is important to me when I write.

Just as I have rituals when the words are flowing I also have rituals to ease writers block when it happens as well. I must admit that it doesn’t happen often (darn voices in my head won’t shut up), but when it does, this is what I do. First, I put everything away. Anything that has to do with writing and all my props go bye-bye. I need to put myself in another state of mind so everything must go. I then do something totally opposite. Lately I have taken up no-brainer stuff like watching action movies and cartoons (I’m a sucker for Disney movies. Here’s a quote from one of my favorites, “The patrons in the restaurant went blind from sheer awesomeness!” Can you guess the movie?). I have also tried my hand at building model cars (I’m not very good at it, but I try).

I do that for as long as it takes. Sometimes I only have to go to the side track for a day or so, but on longer stories I have been known to watch movies for a week. I have found that doing something else with my brain really helps me focus when I go back to what I was doing. The good news is that when the flow comes back it comes like a flood.

So, my advice to help fight writers block, for those of you who dare to take it, is do something totally different and wait for your brain to reboot. You may not do some of the lame things that I do, but try something else that doesn’t require any real thinking on your part. Once your brain has some down time to relax the natural flow that you are used to will return.

These have been the wise words of Jaxx Steele. Visit my site and see what my flow is like. Until next time…peace!

Jaxx
www.jaxxsteele.webs.com
www.jaxxsteele.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/romancebyjaxxsteele


Now for the contest! Jaxx is also blogging today at http://delilahstephans.livejournal.com

There is a question that is different in both post - respond at either journal for a chance to win a free book!

2 comments:

Val said...

I have to say your ways to fix writer's block are not lame. I haven't watched much movies so I will guess and say Roger Rabbit movie. I don't think that's a Disney movie...

Tami said...

Jaxx -

Thanks for blogging with us today. I often have to "reboot" my brain when I am writing and sometimes even doing my school work.

I can't figure out the movie that came from (I even googled it!) you have to tell me now!

Thanks again,

Tami