We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It's not easy being a writer...

I know, I know. You see people like the greats, Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele, Catherine Coulter all living out their dreams. Big homes, cars and the fame that goes with it. I can't tell you how many people I've heard say "I can do that!" I only wish it was that easy. Nora, Danielle and Catherine have all paid their dues a long the way. It's all part of being a writer..

Paying your dues is the name of the game when you become a writer.. I've been extremely lucky that I've got a loving husband who supports what I do and believes in me. He had no doubt I'll rise to the heights of the romance world. Me, I'm not so sure....LOL...

I've been writing for over ten years and I still don't have an agent or a big NY contract. Why do I keep doing this, you ask? I have a dream since I've had as a child. I've always wanted to be a writer. When I first started out, I did fail and questioned everything I did. Rejection after rejection was all I got. Then I decided to get really serious. I joined a critique group and learned from other seasoned writers what I was lacking which was a lot. I was so green behind the ears I had a strawberry patch back there!

I recently attended the Lori Foster Get Together in Cincinnati, Ohio where I was an attending author. I met some really great people, some of whom were budding writers. The same question was asked of me over and over again. What makes me want to keep going in spite of all the rejections? Two simple words: Blind ambition or in my case, Blonde Ambition. If you really want something, you should never let anyone stand in your way. I never have and I haven't looked back since. One thing that is important is to keep learning. You can never know too much about your craft. It's not easy getting started but the reward at the end of the day is so worth it. I can't tell you how many e-mails I get telling me how my books made someone feel or brightened their day. I've even gotten e-mails from husbands saying how much my books have improved their marriage. It means a lot.

To all the unpublished and aspiring writers: Keep your chin up and keep going. Don't let anything, especially rejections, stop you. If nothing else, use them as a learning tool if the editor/agent has been kind enough to point out problems. Make sure you're mss are polished within an inch of their lives. It's important to catch an editors eye on the first pass than on the third.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my post!

Tracy L. Ranson

1 comment:

Raine Delight said...

Great post Tracy. Thanks for sharing.