We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, June 29, 2009

Traveling Light Interview – Diana Rubino

1) Your heroine is a woman familiar with history and sent to the past. Her hero may or may not be a man wrongly executed for treason. Where did you get the idea for this fascinating time-travel romance?

I wanted to write a time travel set in Richard III’s time, so I placed Leigh there with Richard III’s bed as a portal, which sits on a Ley Line. (very strange things happen on Ley Lines; no one knows the reason for this phenomenon—it could be the earth’s magnetic field.) I’m really big on justice and fairness, and wanted to use that as one of the story’s themes. So I have Leigh use her knowledge of what she knows about Guy from history books to clear his name, save him from being falsely accused of treason and a horrible death on the battlefield.

3) What do you like best about Leigh and how do you identify with her?

I like her because she’s adventurous and even though she tries hard to survive in this difficult and dangerous time, she puts her life on the line to save Guy, who she’s grown to love.
I identify with her because I’m rather adventurous; I went to live in London by myself after college graduation (even though it wasn’t the 15th century!) at times it was scary, but I knew my courage would pay off.

4) What do you like about Guy and why is he perfect for Leigh?

What I like about him is that he’s honorable; he doesn’t want to leave his call to battle to join Leigh in the 21st century until he’s fought in the battle. He’s also a gentleman, and was very devoted to his wife and son before they died. He’s perfect for her because he’s the ‘pre-incarnation’ of her late husband Matt, the love of her life. This is the secondary theme, how true love and our souls can transcend the time continuum.

5) What sort of research went into this work?

I’d already written two books set in this time with Richard III as a minor character; for these books, I read some great books about Richard including The King’s Bed by Margaret Barnes and Crown of Roses by Valerie Anand. I took several trips to England and went to Richard’s favorite haunts, his residence at Middleham, where he died on Bosworth Field, and the Richard III Society helped me a great deal, especially the former President, Peter Hammond and his wife Carolyn, the former Librarian.

6) You're pursuing a Master's degree in archaeology. What impact has this had on your writing career and will it be of further influence?

The field digs I went on were prehistoric, (8000 B.C.) so they’re a bit before the settings I write about. But I thought it would be interesting to write a thriller with archaeology as a backdrop someday.

7) How did you get your start as a writer?

My former journalism professor in college urged me to write my first novel and gave me titles of several ‘how-to’ books to read. I was afraid to at first, knowing a novel is a daunting task, but I took one step at a time, and began writing.

8) How have things changed for you since then?

I’ve had 12 of my books published, which is a dream come true for me. It gave me the reassurance that if you truly believe and are PATIENT (it took me 18 years to get my first contract) anything is possible. Not necessarily probable, but possible.

9) What else do you have in store for lucky readers?

I’m working on a biographical novel about Alexander Hamilton and his mistress, told from his mistress’s and wife’s points of view. It has no fictional characters, and even though parts of the story are rather unbelievable, I am not making any of it up!

10) What are you doing this summer?

I will be finishing my Hamilton bio and sending it to my agent. I also hope to get in some golf, bicycling, and days at the beach with some to-read books. I already have a pile stacked up!
On top of the pile are: Body Double by Tess Gerritsen
Cry No More by Linda Howard
A Kind of Magic, and Kiss of the Night by Susan Sizemore
and Trancing the Witch=s Wheel by Yasmine Galenorn

***********

Diana has written several historicals set in England and the U.S., two time travel romances, and a futuristic/fantasy novel which received a 4 1/2 star review and a Top Pick award from Romantic Times.
Diana is a member of Romance Writers of America and the Richard III Society. In her spare time, she has been pursuing a Master's degree in archaeology and loves to visit historical sites all over the world. Diana and her husband own CostPro, Inc., an engineering business based in Cambridge. She is Director of Marketing.
Her latest release, a time travel titled Traveling Light, is on sale now. In Traveling Light, Leigh Halliday falls asleep in the bed once owned by King Richard III. She wakes up in the same bed, but in Richard's time, 1485.
1485: Guy Blakamour, trusted knight of King Richard, believes Leigh is his bride Sandrissa. The king arranged the marriage, and Guy never set eyes on her before now. According to Leigh’s history books, Guy was executed for treason and drowning his first wife. When she meets another time traveler from the 21st century, she learns that Guy's 'treason' and 'drowning' of his wife was a setup by a Welsh clan who's hated Guy's family for centuries. As she grows to love Guy, she puts her life on the line to clear his name and attempts to return home with him. But is their love destined to transcend the time spectrum? Only fate will tell.

Please visit Diana's website, www.dianarubino.com, or her blog, www.DianaRubinoAuthor.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

lastnerve said...

Just wanted to stop by and say that I loved the interview. Traveling Light looks really good. I haven't read it yet, but it's now on my TBR list.

Have a great one!
Val

Maggie said...

Hi Diana,

Great interview. Traveling Light has grabbed my interest. I'm sure it will be a great read!
Congratulations on a wonderful interview,

Maggie Dove

Kim Richards said...

Hi Diana! Wonderful interview! 18 years to get the first contract! You are one patient woman.