We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Talking about Daughter of the Wind with Beth

Not only have I lived in the Old Dominion for most of my life, but also several previous centuries in the sense that my family were among the earliest settlers of the Shenandoah Valley (1730’s/1740’s). My Scots-Irish forebears settled Augusta County in the southern valley with names like Houston, Patterson, Finley, Moffett and McLeod. These clannish people frequently intermarried, so I can tie in with many other early families depending on how I swing through the ancestral tree.

Virginia is the site of the earliest successful English colony and rich in history. We’re steeped in it, especially in the Shenandoah Valley. How could I not be drawn to this wealth of stories? If the earth could speak what tales it would tell, some of them horrific; Virginia is also the site of more battles than any other state in the union, encompassing the Indian Wars, the Revolution and that most uncivil of wars, the Civil War.

One account I came across in my studies of the early Scots-Irish influenced my writing more than any other, the tragic story of a captive woman who fell in love with the son of a chief. As the result of a treaty, she was taken from her warrior husband and forced back to her white family where she gave birth to a girl. Then the young woman’s husband did the unthinkable and left the tribe to go live among the whites, but such was their hatred of Indians that before he reached his beloved her brothers intercepted and killed him. Inconsolable and weak from the birth, she grieved herself to death.

Heart wrenching, it haunts me to this day. And I wondered…was there some way those young lovers could have been spared such anguish; what happened to their infant daughter when she grew up? I couldn’t let this happen to my hero and heroine, but how could I spare them. I schemed and dreamed and hatched more stories in the fertile ground of Virginia.
****
My recent release, Daughter of the Wind, sprang from this account, as did my not yet published historical romance Red Bird’s Song. Daughter of the Wind, a light paranormal romance with strong American historical roots, is set among the clannish Scots-Irish in the mist-shrouded Alleghenies, a tale of the clash between peoples and young lovers caught in the middle. Ever influenced by my regard for Eastern Woodland Indians, I interwove mystical, Native American elements with 'Daughter.'
‘A change was coming as surely as the shifting seasons; Karin McNeal heard the urgent whispers in the wind.’

The year is 1784 and life among the Scot-Irish settled in the rugged Alleghenies is getting back to normal after the long War for Independence—or is it? Former Shawnee captive, Jack McCray, has secrets that will turn Karin McNeal's world upside down.

A bearwalking Shawnee warrior, secrets from the past, a rugged frontiersman, gifted heroine, magical moonstone, love at first sight, pounding suspense…DAUGHTER OF THE WIND

For more on this and my other releases please visit my website at: www.bethtrissel.com

10 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

You are so lucky to be in a place where history abounds. And your own family history must have a character worth writing about.
The natural beauty of the area is astounding. God surely had a hand in creating such a place.

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks Mary. We call the valley and the mountains God's Country. :)

Susan Macatee said...

Great post, Beth! And every time I see that book cover, I know I just have to have it. LOL.

Sounds like a great story!!

Isabel Roman said...

Sounds like a amazing story. The story of the woman who fell in love with the chief's son is great, souds like a true romance, except without the HEA. Best of luck with the book, I'll have to add it to my TBR list!

Lise said...

What a poignant tale, Beth - and I'm sure there are so many like it. You are so fortunate to live in such a grand place. I love to feel steeped in history (hard to do in suburban Long Island) and I envy you the beauty and the rich tradition of your locale. Your story sounds lovely. May you never fail to find inspiration in history and nature.

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks so much, ladies. Very kind and empathetic of you. I expect the inspiration of those who have gone before us will never fail me.

Jamie said...

I loved the post! Hope everyone enjoys your book!!! Its an exciting tale that I loved and hope many of your readers will enjoy, also!

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks Jamie. :)

AngelLesa said...

What a fantastic authors. I cannot wait to learn more about her.
Lesa

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks a bunch, Lesa. :)