We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, September 14, 2009

An Interview with Morgan Ashbury



Q. What is your favorite part of being an author?
A. I love everything about writing. I love thinking through the idea and plotting it out; I love getting to know my characters; and I love weaving the story, choosing just the right words, setting the tone, creating the poetry of it. I love writing, period.



Q. What is your least favorite part of being an author?
A. When the words won't come. There are days when the words just won't come, when I can't get myself “into the zone” no matter how hard I try.


Q. What is the most unique thing about you?
A. I'm a survivor. I have survived triple-bypass surgery, two house fires, and the loss of a son.


Q. What made you want to write in the first place?
A. Want to write? Oh, no, no, no. One never really wants to write, do they? I was compelled to write. I was born to write. Being a writer is what I am, just as being female is what I am.


Q. How much time do you spend writing each day?
A. A lot. Seriously. Well, let me rephrase that. I spend a lot of time with my bottom in the chair and my fingers on the keyboard. When I am actually writing, the hours fly. Sometimes I am doing other author-related things - chats, interviews, critiques. All my author-related activities take up most of my day.


Q. Why do you write the particular genres you do?
A. I love romance, the ideals of it, the optimism of it. I've written romantic comedy and romantic suspense, all in the erotic romance sub-genre. Why erotic romance? Because it's fun!


Q. What is the one genre you would never write and why?
A. Horror. I don't read it, so I would never write it.


Q. What is one genre that you would like to try but haven't yet?
A. I want to write women's fiction. I have stories to tell that don't belong to erotic romance. I'm not at the place I need to be to do that yet, but I will be one day.


Q. What keeps you motivated?
A. I always tell people, being a writer isn't what I do, it's who I am. The creation of new characters and the telling of new tales is inspiration for me, in and of itself.


Q. What is the most unusual thing you've ever done in the name of research?
A. Stood at a firing range in Pennsylvania and fired several different kinds of guns including a Glock 9mm hand gun, a Henry AR-7 survival gun (that thing is for sure going into a future story). That would be the first. I took horseback riding lessons (and horse grooming lessons) as well. I bless the Internet for ease of research. Not that many years ago research meant a day or more spent at the university library. Now I just Google it; and if I need more info, I send an e-mail to professionals in whatever area I need an answer in. Rarely, by the way, do these strangers refuse to help.


Q. What is the silliest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
A. I must lead a completely boring existence, because I don't know if I have ever done anything “silly” in the name of research.


Q. Where do you see electronic publishing in regards to regular print houses in the next ten years?
A. Yes, there will likely always be those who like to read a book-in-hand; but seriously, with the cost of print publishing today, versus the quality of print-on-demand books that are available via e-publishing, I am afraid that in 10 years, the print-publishing industry as we know it today will be but a memory.
E-publishing backed by print-on-demand books is simply cheaper; publishers are businesses first, and businesses always go for cheaper over sentimentality.


Q. What is the most surprising thing you've learned about Digital Publishing?
A. That it remains a niche market. I don't understand that; this particular technology is ahead of its institutions, which if you study the history of the industrial/ technological age is normal, but that more people are not jumping on the e-book 'band-wagon' has really surprised me. When I hear someone talking about “being green” I ask them if they have chosen e-books. You want to talk saving the environment? How many trees would we save if people read e-books instead of print books?


Q. What are your long term goals for your writing?
A. To become a better writer. I hope I never stop seeking to improve. I want to eventually write some mainstream romantic-suspense, and I want to write women's fiction. I plan to keep writing as long as there is breath in my body.


Q. Tell us about your latest release.
A. My upcoming release (sorry, no date yet) is called Cowboy Cravings. Here is a blurb:




Annie Rutherford came west seeking a new life, never dreaming love would be part of the mix. The cravings cowboys Jessie Conrad and Grant Douglas incite in her are fierce. Soon, the two men prove they are more than up to the task of satisfying Annie's hunger.


Jessie and Grant know Annie thinks the relationship they're building is only temporary. They're willing to give her plenty of loving--and plenty of time--to heal from the past and get used to their unique brand of happy-ever-after.


But the past--in the form of Annie's ex-con brother-in-law--comes back to haunt her, and she's thrown into a deadly game of cat-and-mouse. She didn't know about the jewel heist, or that her husband had a second, secret partner…or that her brother-in-law has gotten out of prison and is on his way, intending to claim more than just the stolen gems.




Morgan has graciously offered a $5.00 Amazon Gift Certificate to one lucky person who comments on this entry.

8 comments:

Kimber Chin said...

Yes, Cowboys!
Something about the smell of leather, horses, and man!
Yum!

Exclude me from the draw please, Morgan.
I just dropped in to say hi.

Judy said...

I really enjoyed reading your interview! I like reading the answers to all the questions asked to the authors. I also like cowboys, we probably all like cowboys:)!!

Morgan Ashbury said...

Hi Kimber, thanks for dropping by!

Morgan Ashbury said...

Thanks, Judy. Yes, I think we all do like cowboys...do you think it's because they're so good in the saddle? ;)

K. MacFarlane said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for the wonderful adventures you've taken us on in your books. They are treasures! Keep writing, and we'll keep reading! <3 <3 <3

Morgan Ashbury said...

Why thank you K. MacFarlane, you've put a big smile on my face!

housemouse88 said...

Hello Morgan,

Thanks for stopping by today. I loved your story, Lily in Bloom. Have a great day.

Morgan Ashbury said...

Hey, housemouse, I'm so glad you liked Lily In Bloom. Thanks for stopping by! :)