We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Proof of Life Tea Party with Misty Evans

“Tea pot is on, the cups are waiting,
Favorite chairs anticipating,
No matter what I have to do,
My friend there's always time for you.”

As a young girl, one of my favorite stories was Alice in Wonderland. The Mad Hatter’s tea party was my favorite part. I loved setting up tea parties with my dolls and my Southern Belle momma always happily obliged by providing real tea. As soon as she saw me setting out plates and cups, she’d put the kettle of water on the stove to boil.

Other fond memories of tea exist in my mind as well. When I was sick, mom would feed me sugared Lipton tea with toast. In summer, we’d pick mint leaves to add to our pitcher of iced tea and drink it in the kitchen while we shelled peas and listened to soap operas or the radio. When our work was done, I’d take my glass of tea outside with a book and sit in the sun.

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – C.W. Lewis

Tea and books have always gone hand in hand for me. Even now, as an author, I not only enjoy a cup of tea when I’m writing, but I also enjoy letting a character here and there enjoy a cup too. Tea is a comfort food for Brigit, the heroine in my latest release, Proof of Life. She’s been wounded by a sniper, had her apartment set on fire and then been accused of kidnapping the daughter of the Republican nominee for president. All the while, she’s been hiding a dangerous secret about her family from the Deputy Director of the CIA, Michael Stone. So when he takes her to his home in order to question her, she’s determined to keep her walls up even though she can barely keep her eyes open. Her will power is tested, not when he demands answers about her family or her true identity, but when he fixes her a cup of Earl Grey and a bowl of soup.

In the kitchen, Michael was sorting through the refrigerator. His suit coat was off and his shirt sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. A tattoo on the inside of his left wrist caught her eye. It looked like a fancy compass. She perched on a stool at the expansive marble breakfast bar and dropped her chin into her hands to watch him.

Without a word, he moved around the kitchen, filling a pot with water and setting it on the stovetop. As the gas fire heated the water, he took a couple of mugs and a box of tea bags out of an overhead cabinet. “Earl Grey or English Teatime?” he asked nonchalantly, as if he served suspected felons tea at his breakfast bar on a regular basis.

“Earl Grey,” Brigit answered with the same measured casualness.

A few minutes later, hot tea warming her stomach, she couldn’t help but relax…
Once she relaxes, Michael continues to take care of her, bandaging her blown stitches and getting her to take a pain pill, because even though she’s been accused of kidnapping his niece, he likes her and doesn’t want her to be in pain.

Her eyes narrowed. “You tricked me.”

“I did.”

“Why?”

As he walked away to return his first-aid supplies to the bathroom, he wondered the same thing himself. She’d expected him to be the hard-ass, to interrogate her. Instead he’d done the opposite.

He stopped in the doorway and turned back. “It’s all part of my evil plan. Feed you, doctor you and give you a place to sleep since you don’t have one.”

“So I’ll be in your debt and at your mercy.”

“Exactly.” He was definitely enjoying that idea.

She mulled his confirmation over for a few seconds. “It’s working.”

“Yeah.” He grinned. “I know.”

“A woman is like a tea bag, you cannot tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.” – Nancy Reagan

Strong female characters are like strong tea…they wake you up and make you smile. I love to throw mine in hot water and see what happens. Do they turn bitter or does their personality bloom and grow? Each one of them is like a different flavor of tea as well, some more bold and dramatic than others, like almond spice or lemon. Some have a touch of the exotic, like jasmine or chai. But even the mild-tempered can be exciting to write because I have to sit with them a bit more to appreciate their subtle mix of complex flavors. Brigit was that kind of character for me (and for Michael). I had to sit with her more than some of the other heroines I’ve written because she had so many layers, but when I put her in hot water, she flavored the story deliciously.

Making a deal with a man like Michael Stone was always risky, and yet she had no choice. The only way to protect Tory, get her sister some help, was to aid him in bringing her in.

Brigit locked her attention on Michael’s large, strong hands and considered her future. She couldn’t stop Peter, save Tory and rescue her father without help. A lot of help. And not the kind of carrot-dangling-in-your-face help the president kept offering. SIS and their resources were no longer at her fingertips. Her job was gone, her apartment left in smoldering ruins, and she was wanted in connection with Ella’s kidnapping. No more Miss Nice Guy. It was time to pull up her big girl knickers and deal.

Lucky for her, blackmail worked both ways. “I’ll help you find Peter,” she said, leaning forward so her face was only inches from his. “But in the end, if we find Tory too, you’ll pull the strings necessary to get her charges reduced and provide counseling. Deal?”

A hint of a smile danced on his lips. He tilted his head a fraction as if he were amused by her challenge. “You’re not in a position to bargain, Dr. Kent.”

She mirrored his smile and his head tilt. “Wanna bet?”

“Come, let us have some tea and continue to talk about happy things.” – Chaim Potok

So fix yourself a cup of tea, grab a good book and let’s have a tea party. I’ve saved you a seat!
Anyone who comments today is eligible in win a free ecopy of PROOF OF LIFE, the third book in my Super Agent series.

I’m also offering members of my Yahoo! Group a free prologue to PROOF OF LIFE that isn’t in the book. To join the group (which has other free reads as well), or to sign up for my newsletter, send me an email misty@readMistyEvans.com and I’ll invite you!

If you’d like to know more about me and my books, visit www.readMistyEvans.com.

Thank you to You Gotta Read for having me today!

“May you always have walls for the winds, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire,
laughter to cheer you, those you love near you and all your heart might desire.”

23 comments:

Ellen said...

Hey Misty!
I gotta agree with you, tea is the all time tops when it comes to comfort or relaxation. The best cup of tea I ever drank was years ago in Brent Cross, a suburb of London---it was served alongside cucumber sandwiches and pastries and to this very day, I've never tasted better.

And know what? I still keep a box of Twinings English Breakfast tea in the cupboard :)

Fabulous exerpts---I'm looking forward to catching Michael's story:)

Misty Evans said...

Oooo, tea always tastes better in England! The cucumber sandwiches and pastries just made me hungry! What a great memory, Ellen.
Misty

TonyaWilliamson said...

Hey Misty,
I saw you over on The Raven Vampire Nightclub promo, So you where here. I can not wait to start reading your stuff. I think the first will be
Witches Anonymous.
And yes tea is a great confort food.
Tonya

Misty Evans said...

Hey Tonya! The Raven Vampire Nightclub is really hoping this week with promos and excerpts. I love talking demons, witches, and Halloween stuff, don't you?

Thanks for stopping by and I'll add your name to the hat.

Cathy M said...

Hi Misty, just came from the Raven Vampire group and I love snuggling up with a good book, my down comforter and a cup of lemon tea.

Can't wait to read Proof of Life.

Andrea said...

Hi Misty,

The series sounds great. I'll have to check it out.

TonyaWilliamson said...

I love Halloween and all it in tells. Love to read about it all.

Chiron said...

Hello Misty!

Wonderful excerpt. I've already started Proof of Life and am loving it as much as the first two books!!

And Tonya, you're going to LOVE Witches Anonymous. What a fabulous story!! *happy sigh*

Keep writing, Misty, so I can keep reading!

--Chiron O'Keefe
The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

Misty Evans said...

Hi Cathy! Lemon is one of my favorites too. If I'm out of lemon tea, I'll add a slice of lemon to the straight stuff.
Misty

Misty Evans said...

Hi Andrea. Thanks for posting - I've added your name to the hat. Happy reading!
Misty

Misty Evans said...

Chiron, I'm so glad you found time to stop by today. I owe much of motivation and inspiration for Witches Anonymous to you!

(Chiron insisted I submit it for publication...and she was right!)

lissa said...

Excellent post Misty. I love tea and have certain ones I drink at different times of the year. I guess that makes me odd. I love hot tea in the winter, especially the ones with cinnamon and cloves and spices.

The book looks very good!

Lissa

Misty Evans said...

Hi Lissa! I love spiced chai tea, especially in the fall with pumpkin bread. Yum!

booklover0226 said...

I love teas, especially herbal and green teas. Every morning, I drink several cups of green tea and in the evening some sort of herbal tea.

Thanks,
Tracey D

s7anna said...

Hey Misty,
I love the premise for your story Proof of Life. Brigit and Michael sound like they're a couple that's going to have some majorly scorching scenes of friction *no pun intended*.
I get my love of tea from my Mum and my Grandmum...for them it's always been a means to reconnect as well as relax...so when it comes to relaxation and bonding time...I'll pull out the vanilla tea and make a couple of cups so that my Mum & I can chill together...Other fave teas include...green tea, black tea, rooibus and lemon tea...

Happy Reading!!!
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Misty Evans said...

Tracy, I love green tea, but never can get into much herbal tea. Don't know why...maybe I'm just hard core with the caffeine. LOL.

Drinking an herbal tea before bed probably would help me sleep, huh? Maybe I should try one again. If you have any recommendations, please email me!

Thanks,
Misty

Misty Evans said...

Anna, you're right. Brigit's trying hard to help Michael but can't really help him if she doesn't tell him her secrets from the past, so there's a lot of friction, even AFTER they hook up. LOL.

As far as teas...what is rooibus? I've never tried it. Vanilla is yummy for sure. I like cherry vanilla. Have you tried that one?

Thanks for posting!
Misty

Michelle said...

Hi, Misty! Late to the party as usual but I'm here!! Love the excerpt and I have the book so I can't wait to start reading it. ;)

My favorite tea, hands down: Earl Grey with cream. At Starbucks, they call it a London Fog. I also like it with sugar and lemon or with honey. Heck, I just love the tea, period.

Great post!

Misty Evans said...

Michelle, I didn't realize you drank tea. You're such a coffee gal. But I'm the same way, I love both coffee and tea!

Earl Gray is one of my favorites too. I'll have to try it with milk. Good tip!

Pamk said...

well you lured me over here from the raven halloween party lol. And glad I am that I came. Love that snippet. I had a tea buddy I called her. we'd meet at the teahouse and have tea. It was wonderful and she was very knowledgeable about tea and english food. She lived in london for about 10 yrs and was fun to be around. She moved to FL to be near her folks and I miss our tea parties.

Misty Evans said...

What a wonderful friend, Pam. I hope you still stay in touch with your tea buddy. Maybe someday you two will meet up again and share a cup!

Thanks for leaving the Raven Vampire Nightclub to come see me.
Misty

Misty Evans said...

Good morning!

The winner of a free copy of PROOF OF LIFE is...

*drumroll, please*

...TRACEY D!

Congratulations, Tracey! I'll get the copy to you asap.

Thanks again to You Gotta Read and all my guests for a fabulous tea party!
Misty

booklover0226 said...

Thank you very much!

Hugs,
Tracey D