We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD WOLF?

With Halloween approaching, paranormal creatures are out in full force, including my personal favorite, the wolf shifter. But what are the origins of this enigmatic creature?

Believe it or not, legends of wolf shifters exist as far back as history has been written. One of the earliest is found in Greek mythology. When the god Lycaeon served human flesh to the gods, Zeus turned him into a werewolf.

Most myths tell of wolves who are born, not made, and who shift voluntarily. They shift completely into wolf form, not a “wolfman” hybrid. Later, the full moon was linked to the change, which makes perfect sense as the full moon was historically linked to creating madness in humans.

My recent release, Blood Wolf, tell the story of a wolf shifter who was abandoned at birth and adopted by a castle caretaker in contemporary Scotland. Consequently, he knows little about his condition. Blood Wolf is available in Got Wolf? Volume One, an anthology from The Wild Rose Press.

Blurb:

When mysterious Damian MacGowan saves Suzanne Wood from a gang of thugs in a small Scotland town, she's beyond grateful. But his possessive need to be near her troubles her. Damian doesn't understand why he's drawn to Suzanne. He knows only that he must have her, or he will die. As the two get to know each other, love blossoms. But Damian has a secret, and an enemy, that may keep him from Suzanne forever.

Excerpt:

Damian approached her, took her hand in his, and caressed her palm with his scabbed fingertips. “I don't expect you to understand this when I can't explain it to myself. But there is not a doubt in my mind that you belong with me.”

“You don't know anything about me.”

“I know your hair is the color of burnt mahogany, and it feels like silk against my skin.” He sifted her tresses with his fingers, then cupped her cheek. “I know your eyes are like the night fog, with little golden sparks that pierce the thickness around my soul.” He ran his thumb across her lower lip. “I know your mouth tastes of wintergreen and fresh blueberries. I know your body feels like heaven pressed to mine. I know your beautiful name fits you. I know there's an idiot somewhere who let you go, but I thank God for his stupidity.” He lightly traced the angle of her jaw line. “I know ye're mine.”

Suzanne quivered; her juices pooled in her panties. This man was seducing her with mere words. She was close to climaxing already, something she had only managed previously by masturbating. Never with a man.

“I won't force you to lie with me,” Damian said, “but I will share this room with you. That's not negotiable. I need to be close to you.”

“I can't allow you to stay here. If you want the room--”

“I said it's not negotiable!” Suzanne jumped as Damian pounded his fist into the adjacent wall. “I need to be with you. I need your scent near me.”

“What you want is impossible.” Her voice cracked with nerves. “I refuse to share a bed with a man I just met.”

“I will leave you alone, but we will share this bed.” He lifted his shirt over his head and threw it over a chair. She gulped in a sharp breath. His chest was golden and beautiful, pure muscle accented by a smattering of black hair. Suzanne instinctively looked away as he began to unbuckle his jeans.

“No.” He cupped her face in his hands, forcing her gaze onto his. “I need you to look at me. To see me.”

Helen Hardt is an attorney and stay-at-home mom turned award-winning romance author. She met her real-life hero in law school, and they live in Colorado with their two teenage sons. Helen writes contemporary, historical, paranormal, and erotic romance. Her non-writing interests include Harley rides with her husband, attending her sons' sports and music performances, traveling, and Taekwondo (she's a blackbelt.) Visit Helen at http://www.helenhardt.com/ and http://www.helensheroes.blogspot.com/.

7 comments:

Helen Hardt said...

Thanks so much for having me today!

Helen

Lia Slater said...

Interesting, Helen! I'm getting ready to read Blood Wolf. Looks so good!

Emma Lai said...

I've got wolf...well at least a copy of volume 1. I'm slowly making my way through my TBR pile, but edits and a hungry baby call!

Sarah Simas said...

Hi Helen!

Wonderful info on the history of Wolf Shifters! I love reading shifter stories and wolf ones are my fav. I wish you all the best with your new release! You are so talent, lady!

((hugs!)),
Sarah

Isabel Roman said...

I HAVE your story, Helen, but haven't read it yet. I'm saving it for when I can read it straight through and that's not happening anytime soon. But it's very tempting!

Helen Hardt said...

Ladies, thanks for coming by today. I hope you all enjoy the story. Nothing sexier than an Alpha wolf shifter ;).

Lynne Roberts said...

Hi Helen!

There are so many things I like about wolf shifters, I'm not even going to try and number them. I can't wait to read Blood Wolf!