We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Interview with Author Kiss Carson!

YGR: Welcome author Kiss Carson! Tell us a little about yourself and your books.

Kiss:  Thank you so much for inviting me! I’m very excited to be guest blogging. Now, about me... I live in Queensland, Australia, with my husband and 3 children. I have 3 cats and 3 fish tanks full of fish. Hmmm seems everything comes in 3s! I started writing in my early teens and over the years I’ve written about 25 books. However, I’ve only had 3 published (there’s that magic number again).

Illusions of Destiny – The Wild Rose Press

Blurb:   When Ianna Ward receives a mysterious parcel, she thinks someone is playing a trick on her. However, the contents of the 16th century chest transports her back in time to a different dimension where the sidhe, a mystical race of people, war with humans. She meets the mysterious and appealing Regan Shay, the sidhe leader and her attraction to him is as powerful as his hypnotic gaze and devastating grin. But someone else has laid claim to Regan and will stop at nothing to keep him within her cruel grasp. With the help of unicorns, dragons and a cheeky Pegasus called Mercury, Ianna fights for love - is she strong enough to battle destiny and change her life forever?

Jewels of the Sun – The Wild Rose Press
Blurb:  Born on the mysterious island of Ambrosia and whisked away to mainland Australia when only a few days old, Selena Lewis grows up hearing tales of unimaginable treasures and a floating island, trapped in the nineteenth century, which only appears every 25 years.

Now, the island has returned and Selena is determined to prove to the treasure hunting community that the island exists, as does the treasure. Kidnapped and blindfolded, she's held hostage by virile pirate captain, Saxon Ambrose, who piques her curiosity both sexually and emotionally.

Down into the very depths of Ambrosia, Selena finds the Jewels of the Sun, the diamond pillars that allow the island to survive, and the treasure she's waited all her life to find. However, the Jewels are dying, and so is Ambrosia. Her love for Saxon is the key but is it stronger than her struggle for treasure hunting fame? In the end, will love conquer all?

YGR: In the Shadows of Angels is your newest release. Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

In the Shadows of Angels – Solstice Publishing (see blurb below)


When Ella Jeffries’ grandmother dies, she inherits a strange red bound book. What she doesn’t know is that the book is magical, and before long, Ella is sucked into the pages to live her very own romantic story. In the book she meets Lucius (Luke) Benedict, the Laird of Aingealag. Of course, he’s gorgeous. Of course, they fall in love. And of course, I put poor Ella through some very trying activities. Who says love is an easy road? Certainly not the heroine in a Kiss Carson novel!

Here’s the blurb:

When Ella Jeffries receives a mysterious book, she is drawn into its pages and transported back in time. The year is 1709, and the place is the hauntingly beautiful Aingealag Estate tucked away on the shores of Loch Moibeal in the Scottish Highlands. She rescues Lucius “Luke” Benedict, the gorgeous Laird of Aingealag, from an unjust beheading for the alleged murder of his wife.

Luke’s burning dark gaze and sensual aura draw Ella into his tragic life, and the safety of his strong arms. However, the closer she comes to Luke, the more baffling the mystery becomes. With the help of Luke’s beloved horse, Jury, a ghost cat named Shamus, and Moibeal the Loch Monster, she inches closer to clearing Luke’s name.

Can Ella save the Benedict family, or will Aingealag’s shadows swallow them all whole?

YGR: What inspired you to write the novel?

Kiss:  I find this sort of question the hardest to answer. Not only because I can never remember what inspired me, but because the ideas always just ‘pop’ into my head. This novel has morphed over the course of about 2 years. It started out as a ghost story, then a contemporary mystery and ended up as a time travel. I love Teresa Medeiros’ Scottish Highland hotties and wanted to write about one myself. I guess I really used the what if method with this book.

YGR: Is paranormal/fantasy the only genre you write? If so why?

Kiss:  So far, yes. I can’t write contemporary to save my life. I don’t know why. I start off a book as a normal love story set in modern times with very contemporary characters etc. Then, after about 10 pages, a Leprechaun might appear from nowhere. Then, the heroine becomes a time traveller. All of a sudden, I’m faced with a full on romantic fantasy with dragons, fairies and talking horses! I find make believe so much easier to write.

YGR: Do you have anything new in the works?

Kiss:  Yes. I’m putting the finishing touches on a werewolf romance called Hunter’s Moon. I’ll be submitting in May, so keep your fingers crossed. I’ve started another paranormal called Demon Heart, and a fantasy where the hero can morph into a dragon. Demon Heart and the dragon story are still a while away. I probably won’t be submitting those until late this year/early next year.

YGR: What advice would you give unpublished writers?

Kiss:  Ohhhh, where do I start? Keep trying. No matter what happens, don’t give up. Your dream will come in the end, believe me! I know you’re probably sick of hearing that, but it’s true! Get yourself a good critique partner. My crit partners are what keep me going. Find yourself a writer’s group. If you live in the Brisbane North area, you can join mine! It’s called Romantix and we’re a great bunch of budding writers. Just email me. (hehehe) Lastly, you must believe in what you write. Don’t write fantasy when you’re voice is much stronger when you write horror. Write what makes you comfortable.

YGR: What is your writing process like?

Kiss:  With a young family and a job, I need to keep a strict regime. I write Sunday-Thursday 6.30pm-10.30pm. Now, bear in mind that I’m a panster (can’t plot in the slightest!) so I could rewrite a story a dozen times before I get it right. I don’t outline. I don’t jot down notes. I don’t write complex plot lines, synopsis’ or character definitions. I just sit at the computer and type the first things to come into my head. There’s nothing more exciting than writing a story and not knowing what comes next! Mind you, my characters do get a little out of control. Uhum. Maybe a lot out of control. I threaten them with all sorts of fiendish things. Eventually, I regain control and continue on my merry way. About ¾ of the way through In the Shadows of Angels, I killed off everyone but Ella. It didn’t help me progress the story but I made them all die some wonderfully creative deaths. Quite diabolical of me really. Don’t worry, In the Shadows of Angels is a very uplifting, happily ever after book!

YGR: Where do you get your inspiration?

Kiss:  Everywhere. I might hear a song or see something on the TV. We might go somewhere I fall in love with and I write a book so I can include that place. I might even see a word I really like and write a complete novel around that one word. Music inspires me greatly. I can’t write without my ipod connected to my ears. The music also helps block out the distracting sounds of daily household activities, kids fighting, dogs barking, blaring TVs etc.

YGR: When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read?

Kiss:  Time travel or historical romances mainly. Although I do enjoy Michael Crichton and Matthew Riley. I’ve read most of Stephen King’s books.

YGR: Where can we find you on the net?

At my website: http://www.kisscarson.com.au/
At my blog: http://www.kisscarson.blogspot.com/
On facebook: Kiss Carson. I also have a facebook fan page so look for that.
You can also email me at kisscarson@gmail.com

YGR: Where can we find out more about your books?
Kiss:  Through my publishers: http://www.thewildrosepress.com/  and http://www.solsticepublishing.com/  You can find them at most online bookstores or at any of the above web addresses.

7 comments:

Wendi Zwaduk said...

I loved the interview, Kiss. Great books, but you know I love all; your heroes.

Hugs,

Wendi

Mark and Rachel said...

Great interview! Love to read about how you do what you do and the process behind your writing. You are amazing!!!!!!

Rachel

Kiss Carson said...

thanks girls...I'm glad you liked the interview. And Wendi, your heroes aren't too shabby either!

Crystal Kauffman said...

I love the premise for Jewels of the Sun. It sounds like a must-read!

carmens007 said...

I greatly enjoyed your interview.
Congrats on your latest release. I loved every word of In the Shadows of Angels. I agree with music triggering the muse for you.
Wish you best of luck!
Carmen

Brynna Curry said...

Congrats on the new release, Kiss! Thank you for joining us on YGR.

Beth Trissel said...

Great interview and congrats on yet another outstanding release.