We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, April 12, 2010

Welcome Author Tere Michaels

YGR: Welcome author Tere Michaels! Tell us a little about yourself and your books.


Ter:  Writing has always been the main focus of my life, since I was a very small child. Reading and writing - I could be occupied for days with a stack of books and a blank pad of paper! I live in the New Jersey suburbs, right outside of Manhattan, which I love. It's a perfect location in my humble opinion - surrounded by everything you can possibly imagine and still living on a tree-lined street. My husband and I have a nine year old son; we are all gleefully entranced in our favorite sport at the moment - baseball! After I turned 40 I decided to throw caution to the wind more - sort of live my life out loud. I'd done a stint with Martha Stewart Living as a features writer but writing non-fiction was almost too easy for me. Novels were my real love and desire so with some encouragement from friends, I finished F&F and submitted it to Loose Id. And the rest is recent history. LOL

YGR: "Duty & Devotion" is your newest release. Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

Tere:  D&D is a direct sequel to "Faith & Fidelity", my first novel, with appearances by characters from my second novel, "Love & Loyalty". It was me tying together some strings that were left and revisiting characters I loved (and readers asked for more of!). The basis is really - what happens AFTER "happily ever after"? I mean, I love a good HEA ending but I'm always curious how things go after that. New problems crop up after you commit yourself to the person and that's what I wanted to deal with. New love is wonderful but love through out the months and years really speaks to me as an old married person!

YGR: What inspired you to write the novel?

Tere:  Well, the fans first of all. I received a lot of feedback from readers about wanting more of Matt and Evan and their lives together. So that certainly influenced me. Plus I'm a child of the soaps! I'm not good at forever endings. LOL I'm more a series type of gal. I like on-going stories with a big group of people; that's my favorite thing to read and apparently what I write!

YGR: Is m/m romance the only genre you write? If so why?

Tere:  At this point, my first three books have been m/m romances but the one I'm writing currently is a m/f. I also have some urban fantasy series in the making as well as a host of other ideas. I don't tend to think "genre" first when I start something. A character will appear, a story will occur to me and I go from there.

YGR: Do you have anything new in the works?

Tere:  I'm writing a "dirty romantic comedy" at the moment; it's m/f. Two actors on the set of a blockbuster film who love to hate each other. Trouble is, their arguing makes them wildly attracted to each other and so begins their stubborn courtship of each other. It's so much fun to write, I have to be honest. I tend to write pretty angsty so this is a great change of pace for me.

YGR: What advice would you give unpublished writers?

Tere:  Write, write, write and then write some more. Never wait for the right idea or the best idea or anything else. Rewrite an episode of a television show you liked. Or hated. Just write. It's the best education you can give yourself. Be confident enough to sort out the criticism and praise in ways that will help you - take what you can use and discard the rest. You will never please everyone nor is that your job! You have to write for yourself with the utmost sincerity. Love your characters and your plot and your words and you'll find an audience. Also? Don't waste a huge amount of money on books and workshops. You don't want to be someone else's version of a writer. You want to be yourself. Learn your grammar and your structure and your editing but don't expect to learn how to write. That comes from within.

YGR: What is your writing process like?

Tere:  I tend to percolate for awhile on a character or characters and a setting/plot idea. When it feels "formed", I start a rough outline with notes. Then I sit down and write. If it doesn't feel like it's clicking (and I know pretty early on if it is or isn't), I go back to the outline and notes. This way I only set out to work on things I know I will finish.  I tend to write in giant spurts and edit most other days. My last book I wrote almost 10,000 words in three days. LOL I don't know why but I've always worked like that; I tend to wait until the last minute, get fired up and then just GO. I am trying to get better about writing every day but it isn't easy.

YGR: Where do you get your inspiration?

Tere:  Television, movies, books, news articles. Sometimes it's a plot that catches my fancy or even just a name that suddenly morphs into a character. I'm a big daydreamer so most of my stories start there.

YGR: When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read

Tere:  I'm a big YA fan actually! Mostly genre stuff - urban magic, fantasy, fairies and vampires and otherworldly things. It's fairly different from what I write so I feel comfortable reading it. It doesn't cross streams for me. I love a good urban magic series for grown-ups too but I'm ridiculously picky so I tend to stick to just a few, like J.R. Wards's Brotherhood and the Mercy books from Patricia Briggs. I also read a lot of books on Buddhism (I am a Buddhist) and psychology texts.
YGR: Where can we find you on the net?
Tere:  http://www.teremichaels.com/ and www.livejournal.com/users/teremichaels   are my blogs. I love to hear from people so please drop by.

YGR: Where can we find out more about your books?

My publishing company is http://www.loose-id.com/. I also have a page on Amazon with feeds from my blog so folks can be updated on what's coming out next.

2 comments:

s7anna said...

I love your books Tere...I'm addicted to your writing and I can't wait to read more of your work.

hugs,
Anna

t. said...

Thank you Anna! :) That's so sweet of you.

(Anna is my middle name and my mom's name, btw. So you know, awesome name! :P)