We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, May 21, 2010

VBT: The Third Rose by Jean Hart Stewart


YGR: Welcome! Tell us a little about yourself and your books.

A. There’s nothing exceptional about me, but I surely hope my books are! Basic facts are I’m married and have two children and two grandchildren. Quit a job five years ago since the kids were educated and I could do so, in order to devote myself full time to writing. Have written off and on for years, starting with my first novel when I was twelve. It was doubtless dreadful but I thought at the time it was wonderful. Wish I’d saved it. I’m sure it would worth a few laughs. I’ve written eight books in my Druid series, seven in the Mage series, and two historical romances. Writing is my main pleasure and I lose myself completely once I sit down to write. Nothing else exists if I’m truly into a scene, especially if the writing flows.
YGR: The Third Rose is your newest release. Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

A. Third Rose is a historical romance, with codes to break, spies to catch, and a lovely heroine who starts out holding a gun on the hunky hero. Oh yes, and an evil villain. Sara i hidden in Wolf’s bedroom intending to shoot him in the groin (under the belief he’s raped her best friend). Luckily he disarms her or we wouldn’t have a story, or at least not a sexy one. It ends with the battle of Waterloo, but it’s not a regency. Too much sex to call it that.

YGR: What inspired you to write the novel?

A. Good question, but not sure I can answer. I had this idea for the opening chapter and needed a time period where the heroine can do such a deed and have it be very unusual. Always loved the early 1800’s in Britain, but didn’t want to write a regency as they’re too stylized. Not very much about clothes and immaterial stuff in mine.

YGR: Is historical the only genre you write? If so why?

A. No, my Druid and Mage books are paranormals. They follow one family through the years. Both series start about 1890. Mage simply means wizard and these guys use their power for good, never evil. Lots of fun to write, knowing you can put the protagonists in dreadful situations and their abilities will somehow rescue them. Gotta have a happy ending, you know. My first editor once wrote me she liked my HEA’s. I immediately wrote back asking what the heck did HEA mean. Happy Ever After!

YGR: Do you have anything new in the works?

A. Yes, I’m polishing the seventh book in the Mage series. It’s called Seducing Simon. Did I mention I love whichever book I’m working on???? I wonder if all authors think their latest book is great.

YGR: What advice would you give unpublished writers?

A. That’s easy to answer too. Write every day, even if you’re discouraged and don’t have an idea on your head. Put something down on paper. Maybe when you look at it later there’s some stuff you can use after all. Keep at it until the words begin to flow again. And don’t get discouraged, at least not for long. You’ll make it….you really will.

YGR: What is your writing process like?

A. Mine’s a little strange. I usually have a problem with plot, character, whatever and mentally review it before I fall asleep. Then around two in the morning I wake for an hour or two, think about it, and usually have the glimmer of an idea of what to do next. I do promo in the morning, wifely things for a while, and around 3 in the afternoon start writing. If there’s nothing on the schedule I write in the evening too. My husband’s not well enough for much social life so I generally do a lot of writing at night.

YGR: Where do you get your inspiration?

A. Another good question but can’t give you a good answer. I simply don’t know. Always have ideas whirling around in my head and often I make notes and refer to them later. Wish I could find all the notes, though. Sometimes they seem to disappear. Then it’s an arrrrrgh moment.

YGR: When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read?

A. Romance, history, and some biography. Am reading one now calledNapoleon’s Hemorrhoids, which suggests his pain from this disability kept him from attacking at Waterloo until late enough to give Wellington’s reinforcements to arrive. Couldn’t get on his horse. It’s certainly true he fled Waterloo by carriage. The book is by Paul Mason and is crammed with small incidents that affected history. A fun book.

YGR: Where can we find you on the net?

A. My website is www.jeanhartstewart.com. I have covers, and lots of excerpts there. Do hope you go there and then please, let me know what you think. My e-mail address is jswriter@earthlink.net, and I’d purely love to hear from you. And I’m on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and lots of writer and reader loops. I blog at romancebooksrus. As you see, I’m very accessible.

YGR: Where can we find out more about your books?

A. My website, http://www.jeanhartstewart.com/ is easiest. I also have an e-mails at jswriter@earthlink.com and jeanthedruid30@gmail.com if you have a question. Or either of my publishers, Cerridwen Press (Ellora’s Cave) or Red Rose Publishing on my author page.

Thanks so much for having me here today. I hope you readers write me and keep in touch. I relish knowing what readers are thinking.

Blurb:  When Sara Coverly hides in Lord Wolverton’s bedroom to avenge him for the rape of her friend, she is determined to shoot him so he can never ruin another female. Instead she finds herself wondering if she’s picked the wrong man! Wolf decides he needs a token fiancée to cover his tracks as he searches for a spy, and soon Sara finds herself helping him. And falling deeply in love.


Wolf’s espionage duties bring danger to them both. When he decodes a message threatening the assassination of Wellington at Waterloo, they both set out for Brussels to catch the villain.

Can their growing love endure through war, a desperate villain who is out to stop them, and Wolf’s determination to save Wellington at any cost?


Excerpt from The Third Rose



At last. The bastard had come home. He must have lit more candles, as the room became brighter. She could see a large man, elegantly dressed, stride across the room. Double drat! He moved out of her vision, and she did not dare part the draperies any further. She waited, breath suspended, as he re-appeared and sat on the bed. He arched one long muscled leg, bending over to tug at his boot. His face was in shadow, but his build was powerful, that of a more than adequate sportsman. His size didn’t worry her. A gun was a great equalizer.


He meant to take his boots off himself? She was surprised he didn’t require his valet to wait up for him. An unusual bit of consideration for a servant, one she’d not expected. She’d thought she’d have to stay hidden until the valet had come and gone. Perhaps this was better, since at least he was decently clothed. Not that she’d let any missish tendencies deter her. Actually seeing a large nude male might be educational.


Now was the time.


She cocked the gun and stepped out in front of him, the barrel pointed directly at him.


“You will please rise, my lord. I do not intend to shoot a seated villain.” She felt pride in the composure of her voice. She’d worried a little about that.


Wolverton did not appear unduly upset, although his eyebrows arched upward. He bent the long leg stretched on the bed and clasped both hands around his knee.


“A woman. How interesting. I admit you make a very fetching young man dressed in those breeches, but your voice is definitely female. Might I inquire why you have your gun pointed at me?”


She had to give him his due. His tone seemed as cool as hers, and she certainly must have been a nasty surprise. Although come to think of it, he probably often found women accosting him in his bedchamber. But surely for more pleasurable purposes, cad that he was.


“Stand up, my lord.”


Neither her voice nor the hand holding the gun on him wavered, as Joshua Sinclair, Earl of Wolverton, slowly placed both his boots on the luxurious Aubusson carpet and rose to his feet.


“Is there anything I can do for you, madam?” he inquired, as politely as if he were asking her if she took milk with her tea.


She shook her head slowly, carefully lowering the gun a trifle. What a shame he was such a handsome devil, but then she should have expected no less from a despoiler of virgins.


She was pleased to see him blanch a little as he realized where she aimed.


“Can I persuade you to raise your gun a little? I don’t mind being shot in the chest nearly as much as if you hit the most valued part of my anatomy.”

5 comments:

Brynna Curry said...

Welcome, Jean!

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks for having me, Byrnna. That was a fun interview and I hope I get lots of comments and questions. How about if I send one of my Druid or Mage book as a download to a commenter? Random pick, of course....Jean

Tracie said...

Gorgeous cover art!

Sounds like a great read. Good luck and much success!

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks Tracie....Taking time to comment is hard, and I appreciate it.. Jean

stacey said...

I so want to read your book.it sounds great.

sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com