We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, June 3, 2010

VBT Shut up and Kiss Me

YGR: Welcome! Tell us a little about yourself and your books.
I’m an accidental erotic romance author who fell into it on a challenge. It started with the suggestion I write a short, 1000 word erotic story for publication on the Whipped Cream Reviews eZine, and then morphed into writing a longer story for publication elsewhere.

My stories tend to be a little silly, don’t quite take themselves seriously (kind of like me), though I’ve also occasionally written a “tear-your-heart-out” romance as well. But I always, ALWAYS have a happy ending. There are no exceptions to that rule – for what I read and what I write.

YGR: Shut Up & Kiss Me is your newest release. Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

I really enjoy friends to lovers stories, so wanted to write one. Shut Up & Kiss Me is about two long time acquaintances who purposely avoid one another on the premise that they don’t like each other, when in truth, they’ve been fighting an attraction since high school. So, I had to throw them together, of course and see what happened.


YGR: What inspired you to write the novel?

A challenge from my writing partner and fellow Menagerie occupant, Kealie Shay. Actually, I think I might have been the one who issued the challenge because we were both feeling stuck in a writing rut: write a story, at least 7500 words long, in two days (in this case, it was over a weekend).

It was out of the blue, neither of us had any idea what to write, and we both completed it. I was encouraged by my partners, Kealie and Jenny, to polish and submit it, so I did. And it became my first published erotic romance.


YGR: Is erotic romance the only genre you write? If so why?

Actually, I’m multi-published in other genres as well ... but my identity must remain a secret. I’m actually a super hero in my spare time, and to share that information with you would risk the security of the world.


YGR: Do you have anything new in the works?

I have another short erotic romance with my Wilder Roses editor that had some editing requests prior to contracting – I’m hoping I did a stupendous job with the edits and will be receiving that official contract soon. I also have my first ménage in the works – it also has a little light bondage as well. I felt the need to branch out a little *G*

YGR: What advice would you give unpublished writers?

If you can NOT write, then stop. Writing for publication isn’t for sissies. It’s work and it’s hard and emotional. It’s a freaking rollercoaster – so get off if you can.

If you can’t, you’re clearly a writer – so write, polish, study, learn, acquire some good crit partners (the kind who don’t blow smoke up your ... er... rear orifice) and then SUBMIT. And keep writing, learning, polishing and submitting. Eventually, something will make it.


YGR: What is your writing process like?

You mean I have to have a process? LOL... I usually start with the characters, and then the conflict. I also like to write the ending first if I can (if I can’t do it FIRST, I’ll write it fairly soon after I start – I like having that destination to work toward). I think about the story A LOT, constantly fussing in my mind, “Would this happen? Does she think this way? If he said this, how would she respond?” until it gels. And, I write. Frequently out of order (and not just the end before the beginning, but various scenes whenever I think of them, or if I get stuck). Eventually it all falls together.

It’s a little crazy, but it’s me.


YGR: Where do you get your inspiration?

Where DON’T I get inspiration? From the news headlines, from things a friend says, from TV, books, movies, from the way my dog acts when she sees a squirrel, from piles of dirt on the side of the road, from seeing a lady in a ball cap disappear from view, a line of dialogue I overhear.

It’s all part and partial of what I write. Everything I hear, see, taste, smell, experience. It’s all potential fodder for a story.

YGR: When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read

Romance, of course. But only the kind that has a HEA. I eschew Nicholas Sparks... Do. Not. Like. I hated “West Side Story” (even though it has incredible music). Ditto “Casablanca”. “Gone With the Wind”? Not romance.

So – give me protagonists who fight the world to end up happily together and I’m pleased as a pig in ... er... sunshine. But otherwise? The book ends up as kindling in my wood stove.

YGR: Where can we find you on the net?
I share a website and blog with three other amazing ladies and you can find us here:

http://www.menagerieauthors.com
http://www.menagerieauthors.blogspot.com



YGR: Where can we find out more about your books?

http://www.menagerieauthors.com/bookshelf.htm#MH

Thanks so much for having me today! I had fun with the questions :-)

2 comments:

Mysti Holiday said...

Thanks for having me!

Kristabel Reed said...

Mysti, I follow Menagerie Authors but wanted to pop in and say hi over here. And congrats on your new book!