We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Welcome Gwenna Sebastian

YGR:  Welcome!  Tell us a little about yourself and your books.
Gwenna:  Hi! It's awesome to be here- thanks so much for having me! My name is Gwenna and I write M/M Romances about men who were or currently are in the military. I'm especially fascinated by Vietnam and have been for several years. I know, wierd fascination, huh? LOL. Besides being an author, I'm also a wife and mother. My son is a medic in the Army National Guard and served a tour in Iraq. My husband and I currently share the house with three cats- two young ladies and one older gentleman. I live in upstate NY where yeah, we have some impressive winters if you are into snow. And I'm a huge supporter of getting "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" abolished.

YGR: Lost and Found is your newest release.  Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

Gwenna:  It takes place in the northern Outer Banks, NC during January. Mark Connor is a Vietnam vet who remodels homes. He's a loner, has been all his life and wants to keep it that way. He had a lover in Vietnam who was killed in an ambush and well, Mark more or less died with him. He gets in over his head with this home remodel and ends up hiring Josh Myers. Josh is a former Marine who survived the 1983 bombing of the Marine barracks in Beriut. He's a free spirit, dresses like a hippie and isn't the least bit ashamed of being gay. When Josh agrees to hire and and moves in, Mark finds out he got a whole helluva alot more than he bargined for!


YGR:  What inspired you to write the novel?
Actually, a fellow author friend of mine was encouraging me to write a few short stories to get my name established. I was (and still am) working on a much different novel but it wasn't going to be ready for a while. Lost and Found started out as a short story about the wildly outrageous Josh trying to get the quietly angry but very handsome older man into his bed. It sort of went way beyond that!
YGR:  Is (M/M Romances) the only genre you write?  If so why?
Yes, this is my only genre. It's what I really enjoy, especially exploring the relationships between men formed under the duress of war and in the military. The friendships are special to begin with, but add in the element of their sexuality and then the time period and how can you not have amazing relationships and stories of how they survived? And besides- guys in uniforms here! (And out!) What's not incredibly sexy about that?

YGR:  Do you have anything new in the works?

Gwenna:  I have a sequel to Lost and Found that I'm writing on- titled Then and Now. I'm also working on a futuristic Vietnam story that is a romance as well- VN2. And I'm researching a WWII piece and another Vietnam piece. I've got my hands full!


YGR:  What advice would you give unpublished writers?

Gwenna:  Never to give up. Make yourself time, keep at it and keep submitting. It will happen, you just have to keep working and improving and submitting.


YGR:  What is your writing process like?


Gwenna:  I research and outline pretty much at the same time. I'm always interviewing and recording and getting information about either Vietnam, WWII, the military branch such as the Army or Marines. I'm very devoted to making sure I have the "language" right for the time period when it comes to the military. While I'm doing that, I'm developing out the characters- I keep a notebook with complete discriptions and backgrounds and everything I need and want to know about them. Once I have that and the outline in place, I start actually writing it, but I'm never done researching, that's endless and I love it anyway.


YGR:  Where do you get your inspiration?


Gwenna:  There was a newspaper article I read about ten years ago concerning the Vietnam War that I found fascinating. I was looking for a new idea for a novel and this seemed to reach out and grab me. Then I found an old eighties television program and well, it really took off from there. Next thing I knew I couldn't get enough information about Vietnam, the military and the music. Eventually, I started to find out about gays in the military and well, here I am!

YGR:  When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read?

Gwenna:  I'm a huge JD Robb fan and her futurist murder mysteries- the "In Death" series. I also love Suzanne Brockmann and her Trouble Shooter series which centers around Navy Seals. In general, I like a lot of different type of books, especially those with very strong characters.

YGR:  What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

Gwenna:  Hmmm- I don't know about wierd. I did get my open water divers' license when I was working on an ecological thriller! (Many, many years ago.)


YGR:  Where can we find you on the net?
Gwenna:  Website: www.gwennasebastian.com (Bear with me- it's being revamped!)


YGR:  Where can we find out more about your books?


Gwenna:  Lost and Found is published by Lyrical Press, Inc at www.lyricalpress.com
Direct link to the book:




No comments: