We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, August 13, 2010

Welcome Author D.M. Slate for a spooky Friday the 13th!

YGR: Welcome! Tell us a little about yourself and your books.

D.M.: Hello! My name is D.M. Slate and I’m the new kid on the writing block. I’m 28 years old, live in Colorado, and have a super busy life (chasing after 2 kids, a husband, cat, dog, ect). I’m the CFO of a water district so I stare at numbers and spreadsheets all day, so the creativity of writing helps offset that tediousness. My first published work was release in December of last year by Eternal Press. It’s a horror novella entitled Day 94. The story centers around one family’s struggle for survival in the frigid Colorado winter with no food or electricity, when an airborne disease epidemic leaves their city in quarantine.

YGR: Isolated is your newest release. Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

D.M.: Sure! Isolated was released last month by Moongypsy Press.

As Anthony and Jazmine embark on their honeymoon to southern Mexico, they have no idea the dark trail that’ll unfold before them. The couple signs up for an ATV tour and snorkel trip offered by their resort. Two days later Anthony stumbles out of the Mexican jungle bloodied, half dead and suffering from amnesia; he’s the prime suspect in Jazmine’s disappearance. Through his multiple interrogations, Anthony struggles to regain his memory in order clear his name and discover the whereabouts of his missing wife.

The international search for Jazmine reveals nothing and the F.B.I. are convinced that Anthony is involved, somehow. As bits and pieces of his memory return, he leads F.B.I. Special Agent Monroe on a trail of clues that implicate the couple’s ATV tour guides. Further investigation reveals that Jazmine has been sold to a drug-lord in Panama, and nothing will stop Anthony from trying to rescue her. As he enters the foreign country, the distraught husband only causes greater chaos.

With the F.B.I. in fast pursuit to Panama, the race against the clock begins. When the authorities close in on the suspect’s house hoping to recover Jazmine, a grueling discovery is made; Anthony is already at the house. As the case comes to a close, Anthony is shocked to discover that this wasn’t a random crime. Will anyone make it out alive?

YGR: What inspired you to write the novel?

D.M.: My inspiration came from a terrifying experience my husband and I had on our honeymoon in the dense Mexican jungle. We signed up for an ATV tour, show up and realized besides our two guides - we were the only people going. We got onto the 4-wheelers and tore through the jungle on old worn trails, and then found ourselves within a very suspicious and intimidating encampment. The men in the camp were armed with automatic weapons and machetes, and of course we didn’t speak Spanish, so we couldn’t understand what they were saying. It wasn’t a good situation to find ourselves in. That sinking feeling I got in my stomach stayed with me for a long time, and I built on our experience to create this story.

YGR: Is horror the only genre you write? If so why?

D.M.: No – I’ve dabbled in several different genres, but tend to gravitate back to horror. My first release, Day 94, is definitely classified as Sci-Fi/Horror. Although I don’t write blood, guts and gore – I try to capture the intense fear of the characters in varying scenarios. Isolated is classified as Mystery/Thriller, but it definitely carries horrendous undertones.

YGR: Do you have anything new in the works?

D.M.: I do. My current work in progress is a Murder/Mystery called Royal Empress. I’m about half done and hope to have it completed by the end of this year.

YGR: What advice would you give unpublished writers?

D.M.: Write a lot! I’ve found that the more I write, the easier it becomes. And also, don’t get discouraged… If one publisher doesn’t like your story, just submit it to a different one.

YGR: What is your writing process like?

D.M.: Very chaotic and sporadic. I make a generalized web of events that I want to happen, and just start writing from there. I get new inspiration all the time, and never know how the book is going to end until I get there.

YGR: Where do you get your inspiration?

D.M.: I like things that are real. Experiences, places, thoughts and feelings; that makes it easier for me to write about.

YGR: When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read?
Unfortunately, due to my hectic schedule, I don’t get to read much. But when I do, I’ll go for a Stephen King book or I also enjoy classic Victor Hugo stories.

YGR: What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

D.M.: Hummmm – well, when doing research for Isolated I went back to Mexico and was interested in the local cuisine, because even characters in books have to eat. I branched out and the weirdest thing I ate was grilled octopus (with suction cups still attached – lol)… it has a very strange texture when you bite into it – kinda chewy.

YGR: Where can we find you on the net?

D.M.: www.dm-slate.com

YGR: Where can we find out more about your books?

D.M.: The Eternal Press website, the Moongypsy Press website, and my website www.dm-slate.com
Thanks so much for having me today! Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Brynna Curry said...

Welcome, D.M.!