We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Welcome Author Michelle Miles

INTERVIEW: Michelle Miles / Post Date 9/15

Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?
I was born in Dallas, raised in Mesquite and am a transplant to Fort Worth. A lot of people think Dallas and Fort Worth are one and the same but I’m here to tell you Dallas is a completely different culture and lifestyle than Fort Worth. I’ve been on the west side for about the last 12 years and I have to say I LOVE it here. It’s a much slower pace that Dallas, much more laid back, with a lot of “good ole boy” mentality. I suppose that’s because of all the cowboys around town. Those are the things that I love most about Fort Worth.
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
You might find this funny but I wanted to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader! I always thought they were so cool.
What do you do for fun?
I love to go to the movies or watch movies at home. I also love watching sports—football, hockey, baseball. Those are my three favorite. And I’ve gotten more into it since my fiancĂ© loves the baseball and football too.
Tell us about your latest book. Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
My latest release is with Cobblestone Press called SEX LUST & MARTINIS. It’s about Delilah and Sam and is the fourth book in my contemporary series of what I call The Coffee House Chronicles. And no, you don’t have to read all the books in the series to follow along with this one. It’s a stand-alone and—I think—a lot of fun.
I just finished a tie-in short story about the coffee house that some of the books take place in. This is about David Sawyer and the woman who owns his competition coffee shop, Lilly. I’m also working on a fantasy romance set on a world based on Ancient Rome with lots of mythical creatures and I have a time travel/historical set during a jousting tournament I’m trying to finish up in the next few months. So I’ve have lots in the works and not enough time to work on them all!
How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?
For my contemporary books, I try to pick sexy titles that go with the theme of the story. TALK DIRTY TO ME and TAKE ME I’M YOURS are both books that have something in common – they’re titles of rock songs (one by Poison and one by Squeeze).
How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?
Ah. Great question. Just like any writer, there is a little bit of me in everything I write. But which is real and which is fantasy is strictly confidential. Okay I might tell you over a drink or two. ;)
Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
Finding the time! And keeping to a consistent writing schedule. It’s really hard since I work full time and am raising my son.
What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Learn what works and what doesn’t work; take classes; read! And write every single day. Also, find one or two people you trust to read your work and give you good, honest feedback. If you can find a critique partner or two, you’ll find their input is invaluable.
Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
Oh sure. I make myself write anyway. Even if I only write for 10 minutes.
YGR:  How did you deal with rejection letters?

MICHELLE:  I pout. :) It’s never easy to get rejection letters but it’s part of the business. If it’s a form rejection, I simply file it away and add it to the no list. But every now and then an editor will take time to send detailed feedback on what worked and what didn’t work and why. Those are gold! After I read it, I put it aside for a day or two and then go back to it to see if it makes sense, if I agree with what the editor had to say and then I start to think about how I can incorporate those suggestions into the work.

YGR:  What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
A good dictionary, The Romance Writer’s Phrase Book, Building Believable Characters, a thumb drive and an iPod with all your favorite tunes.
Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?
Yes! Especially when I want to start a new fantasy story. I love taking myths and legends and twisting them into something new and different.
Where can we find you on the net?
All over!
Website: http://www.michellemiles.net
Blog: http://www.michellemiles.net/blog and http://www.stiletto-diva.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MichelleMiles
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AuthorMichelleMiles
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/MichelleMilesRomance
Where can we find out more about your books?
You can visit my website or visit my publishers pages:
Cobblestone Press: http://cobblestone-press.com/catalog/author/michellemiles.htm
Samhain Publishing: http://samhainpublishing.com/authors/michelle-miles

3 comments:

vikkibakus said...

Hi Brynna and Michelle! Those were great questions and Michelle, you gave some helpful information. Your advice for budding authors affirms my expenses for a upcoming classes and a conference. Makes me feel less guilty. But tennis is over which means, hockey season! Woo-hoo! We share the sports fanatic syndrome, lol! Best of luck with Sex, Lust & Martinis!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Great interview, Michelle. Continued good luck with your career.

Michelle Miles said...

Hi, ladies! Thanks for taking time to stop by. :)

Vikki - I hope it helps, really. I'm really looking forward to hockey season, too. ;)