We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, September 6, 2010

Welcome Heather Kuehl...

YGR: Welcome! Tell us a little about yourself and your books.

HK: My name is Heather Kuehl and I write paranormal/fantasy romance. As of September 7th I will have three books published with Eternal Press; Fade to Black, Promises to Keep, and Malevolent Dead. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in European History from Charleston Southern University and worked at my local library until my son was born. I am now a stay at home mom to a beautiful little boy and a wife to a wonderful man.


YGR: Malevolent Dead is your newest release. Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

HK: Sure! Malevolent Dead is the sequel to Fade to Black and the second book in the Sarah Vargas series. It picks up six months after the end of Fade. Synopsis: To save everyone, she'll have to do the unthinkable. Werewolf Sarah Vargas thought all she had to worry about was the Blood Moon Corporation's retaliation. She never dreamed that another vampire would arrive, disputing Damian's claim over the throne to Charleston, SC. To make matters worse, he is no ordinary vamp; he's a vampire necromancer. Exceptionally hard to kill, Sarah will have do what ever she can to keep those that she loves safe... Even if it means doing the unthinkable.





Excerpt from Chapter One:
(NOTE: This excerpt may contain spoilers for Fade to Black.)

From the outside, Malevolent Dead didn’t look like much. There wasn’t even a sign out front, just tinted windows and a heavy bass pounding from the inside. Humans who came here to dance slowly left as I walked through the coffin encased foyer and upstairs. I heard them grumbling about it closing early. I didn’t blame them. Most nights, Malevolent Dead stayed open until 5am.

I crossed the dance floor and opened the door marked, “Employees Only.” Everyone in the room looked up as I entered.

Damian leaned against the wall, his arms crossed over his bare chest. He wore a pair of dark-washed jeans tucked into black leather boots. A Celtic knot necklace hung around his neck. When his eyes caught sight of me, he smiled and held out a hand.

“Phaedra, my love. Look who’s come to visit us.”

Phaedra?

I was careful not to let my confusion show as I took his hand. He guided me into his arms. I looked up into his plum colored eyes, waiting for some kind of explanation.
He said nothing. Instead Damian turned me to face his guests. A man sat on the couch across from us, backed by five Necrovamps. Icky, disgusting Necrovamps. They were the product of a vampire transformation gone wrong. Their bodies slowly rotted, exposing muscle and bone. Gore leaked from them, creating a kind of snail trail on the ground behind them. The worst part of all were their fangs. Super long, the Necrovamps couldn’t even close their mouths because of them. They were mindless killers and took orders from only one type of creature.

A necromancer.

“Marcellus, you remember my wife.”

The man in the chair nodded. “Of course. How could I forget such beauty? But as I heard it, she died.”

Damian laughed. “Does she look dead to you?”

Marcellus shook his head. “Not at all. How is it that she’s still alive?”

“I changed her.”

Marcellus laughed. “I can hear her heart beat, old friend. I’d say she’s human, but she reeks of Were.”

I huffed. There was something important about Marcellus thinking that Damian’s wife still lived. I decided to just go with it and hoped to God that Damian explained it to me later. “Shows what little you know, Marcellus.” I turned to Damian. “How much longer will you be, baby? I’m ready to go home and the bed is so cold without you.”

I stood on tiptoe to place a light kiss on his lips. Damian smiled as he rubbed noses with me, his hand sliding down to cup my ass.

“Not much, my pet. Marcellus was just about to tell me the reason for his visit.”

Marcellus grinned. “I know you killed the Skyner twins, Damian. Only a fool would believe the lies floating around. Only a fool would believe that two Weres from that dreadful corporation did the deed. You know that it’s against our laws to kill another vampire. I’m here for that reason.”

Our laws? I took a deep breath through my nose and finally picked up the scent I hadn’t noticed earlier; vampire. Marcellus wasn’t only a necromancer, but he was a vampire to boot. This didn’t bode well.

Damien’s voice turned to ice. “Excuse me?”

Marcellus stood and slowly walked over to us. “Since you murdered the twins, I’ve been sent here to be the new lord of Charleston. Your position is forfeit.” He drew a sword out of a sheath on his back. “As is your life.”

Damian laughed. I felt his power flowing out, wrapping itself around Marcellus. Damian’s hand cupping my ass moved up and unholstered my Walther P22. He held the gun up, aiming at Marcellus’s face. The gun wasn’t loaded with wooden rounds, but the shot would still hurt Marcellus. It would slow him down enough for Damian to get the upper hand.

“You are no longer welcome here, old friend. Leave and take your rotting scum with you.”

Marcellus hissed as he backed away. I narrowed my eyes as they left, realizing something important. Marcellus had no intention of killing Damian today. He wanted to draw it out. After all, it wasn’t every day that a vampire was allowed to kill one of their own.

Damian sagged against the wall once they left, dropping my gun onto the polished marble floor. “Dammit,” he growled as he raked a hand through his ebony hair.

I sat in the chair Marcellus had just vacated, waiting for Damian to collect himself. “What the hell?” I asked when he finally did. I didn’t need to go further than that. Damian could read my mind like a book. He knew everything I felt curious about. Damian shook his head.

“Not here. I don’t trust it.” He stood up and walked over to a large black door that led away from the club. I stood and followed him, hoping he wasn’t going to keep me in the dark about all of this. I mean, he was the one that dragged me into this.

“I’m not,” Damian said. “We’re going to my study to speak about this.”

Damian’s study was a small room with a bookcase and desk tucked in the corner. A large decorative curtain hung on the wall, and I assumed it covered a window.

The moment we entered Damian’s study I tore into him. “What’s going on? I thought you were safe? Why is Marcellus after you? How can he be both a necromancer and a vampire? And who the hell is Phaedra? And why did he think I was her?”

Damian sighed. “I hope this will answer your last question.” Damian walked over to the far left wall and pulled the decorative curtain aside.



YGR: What inspired you to write the novel?

HK: Writing Fade to Black was the inspiration for the events in Malevolent Dead. Sarah’s story wasn’t finished, and I wanted to know more about her and the world she lived in, so I sat down and got to work.


YGR: Is paranormal/fantasy romance the only genre you write? If so why?

HK: When writing short stories I have dabbled in other genres, but I have found that paranormal/fantasy romance is the one that works best for me. The characters seem more alive and I have found myself feeling very at home in their world.


YGR: Do you have anything new in the works?

HK: I am in the process of writing the third book in the Sarah Vargas Series, Blood Moon. This book might be the last in the series, but I’m not calling this a trilogy because I am sure I will write about Sarah again. She’s just so interesting! I am also working on a book about my favorite witch T.D. Drake. She has a cameo in both Promises to Keep and Malevolent Dead.


YGR: What advice would you give unpublished writers?

HK: Keep at it and never give up. It’s going to be a long, hard road to get published but it will all be worth it in the end.


YGR: What is your writing process like?

HK: When I am starting to write a book, I make up a rough outline; chapter one is when Sarah discovers whatever about whoever, chapter two is reaction/back story, etc. My outline isn’t written in stone. I don’t care what roads my characters take, as long as they defeat the bad guy in the end then it’s all good. Then I sit down and write, which is really hard to do with a toddler underfoot.


YGR: Where do you get your inspiration?

HK: Everywhere. Music. TV. Movies. Things strangers say. A song lyric from Sublime inspired Fade to Black; “Life’s too short so love the one’s you’ve got, cuz you might get run over or you might get shot.” The smallest thing can wiggle its way into my imagination and create something big and wonderful.


YGR: When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read?

HK: I tend to read the same genres that I write. Right now I’m trying to catch up with both Kim Harrison’s Hollows series and Anne McCaffrey’s Pern series.


YGR: What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

HK: I don’t think it’s very weird but you might; I go to the shooting range and find guns that scare me. Sarah Vargas and I are very similar when it comes to guns – they scare us but we’ll use them if we have to. Sarah’s Walther P22 is the only gun I am not afraid of. The guns that scare me are the ones T.D. Drake would like. She loves guns. So if I squeal like a little girl and want to cry when I fire one, then it’s the gun for her.


YGR: Where can we find you on the net?

HK: Visit me online at www.heatherkuehl.com, www.heatherkuehl.blogspot.com or follow her on Facebook or Twitter.


YGR: Where can we find out more about your books?

HK: At my website; www.heatherkuehl.com. I have an entire section under Publish Works devoted to my books.

4 comments:

Isabel Roman said...

A fellow librarian! With a history degree... I feel like I've found a kindred spirit lol I have to admit, your exerpt hooked me!

Heather Kuehl said...

LoL Hi Isabel. Thank you for stopping by! Being a librarian with a history degree seemed to be a perfect fit. It came in very handy when it became project time at the area schools. :o)

Author Mary C said...

Cool interview, Heather. Loved the excerpt! Fade to Black was amazing and I'm betting that Malevolent Dead is phenomenal.

Hope to catch you at the Eternal Press' live chat on the 7th.

Congrats and much success.

Mary Corrales

Brynna Curry said...

Hi, Heather. Thanks for being our guest. I can't wait to read Malevolent Dead. Sounds awesome!