We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, October 25, 2010

Welcome Author Krista D. Ball...

YGR: Welcome! Tell us a little about yourself and your books.


KRISTA:  I’m a Canadian SF&F author, who dabbles in other genres (shoosh our secret). This is my debut longer work, though I have a number of short stories in print magazines, anthologies, and self-published.

YGR: Harvest Moon is your newest release. Can you give us a glimpse into the book?

KRISTA:  Harvest Moon is a First Nations-themed story, where I take thclassic (and annoying) Damsel in Distress theme and give it a good shake. What results is a soft-spoken tale about Dancing Cat, whose desperation angers an ancestor. She’s turned into a man, dropped into enemy territory, and has to rebuild her identity while befriending an enemy.

YGR: What inspired you to write the novel?

I was working at a homeless agency at the time and heard a number of First Nations stories. There was also an anthology call out for gender bender stories and, somehow, the two concepts melted together in my brain.

YGR: Is (insert genre) the only genre you write? If so why?

KRISTA:  I do focus on speculative fiction. I enjoy making my own rules, cultures, and peoples. I like being able to break the occasional law of physics, too.

YGR: Do you have anything new in the works?

KRISTA:  Plenty! I am putting the finishing touches on my science fiction spy novel, Road to Hell. I have November dedicated to writing the first drafts of four short novellas for NaNoWriMo. I have book 2, Tranquility’s Grief, of my (unsold as of today) Tranquility’s series partially done. And about a dozen short story ideas that I want to focus on over Christmas.

YGR: What advice would you give unpublished writers?

KRISTA:  Decide what kind of author you want to be and learn how to be that kind of author. It’s easy to talk about Muses and inspiration when you don’t have deadlines and projects looming overhead. But if you want to be a full-time author, you need to learn how to balance life, how to pick up projects, and how to write even when you have “writer’s block”.

YGR: What is your writing process like?

KRISTA:  I plunk my chubby but adorable butt in a chair and start writing. I generally have an idea where a story’s going to go. Though, I usually write part of a story, stop, figure out the entire plot and then restart. Then, it’s edit edit edit.

YGR: Where do you get your inspiration?

KRISTA:  Everywhere. The world is crazy.

YGR: When you set aside your work in progress for the day, what sort of books do you like to read?

KRISTA:  I go through reading binges. I cannot read when I’m in the midst of a project. I’m not able to put books down once I start, so I book in binge time when I’m exhausted from writing. They can last from a weekend to a month. I’ll often find an author that I like and read everything they’ve ever written.

I am a picky reader. I want strong female characters, strongly written characterizations, well-developed internal voice, and an interesting story. And, minimal description. I’m a big fan of Jim Butcher, Diana Pharaoh Francis (who occasional breaks the description rule, but I love her work anyway), and a dozen others.

YGR: What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

KRISTA:  Got really drunk because I forgot what it was like to wake up with a hangover. Unfortunately, I forgot that I don’t react well to lime-based mixes. Ugh. The good news is that my hangover scene was voted “Most Realistic” in my critique group. Ha!

YGR: Where can we find you on the net?

KRISTA:  My blog is always a fun place to find me! www.kristadball.com/blog I’m usually ranting about something. I’m also on twitter (www.twitter.com/kristadb1).


YGR: Where can we find out more about your books?

I keep my website up to date with current projects and new releases at www.kristadball.com


1 comment:

Brynna Curry said...

Welcome, Krista!