We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, November 19, 2010

Welcome Author Brenda Huber

In honor of today being the release date for CRAVINGS, I would like to have an ebook giveaway. Two lucky readers who leave a comment on this post will win one free ebook copy of CRAVINGS and MINE! (That’s two free books each!)



1. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
 I’ve always wanted to be a writer. From the time I was little, I had a voracious appetite for books, and I remember thinking…How awesome would it be to walk into a library or bookstore and see MY name up there on the shelf?  
How has that childhood dream affected your current career?  
What can I say?  How often does a person get to say…I got to be what I wanted to be when I grew up.  It’s a pretty terrific feeling.
2. Tell us about your latest book.  
My latest book is a paranormal romance, titled CRAVINGS. It is the sequel to MINE, featuring the ultra-sexy Spanish drummer Styx.  Coerced into assisting the Task Force for Rogue Apprehension, Styx temporarily relocates under an assumed identity. When a rogue Vampyre/serial killer, aptly dubbed the Collector, steps outside his modus operandi and fixates on a beautiful ER doctor, Kate O’Rourke, Styx insinuates himself into her life in hopes of stopping the killer.  All too quickly, the killer isn’t the only one obsessing over the irresistible doctor.  Shocking disclosures soon come to light about the woman Styx has been assigned to protect, and dark secrets from Styx’s past come back to haunt him, putting Kate in jeopardy.  If he refuses to break an old vow, Kate’s life could hang in the balance…but if he goes back on his word, Styx just might kill her himself. 
I can promise you, CRAVINGS is brimming with colorful characters and stunning suprises.

3. Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
 I’m actually working on a sequel to SHADOWS (a paranormal romance featuring our Werewolf brethren) right now. It was difficult to decide where I wanted to go when I finished writing CRAVINGS, there are so many potential storylines (and sexy males) in there, after all.  But the book I’m working on right now just demanded to be written first.  I don’t, as yet, have a title for the SHADOWS sequel, but the story is about Cam’s cousin Rafe Whitlock and his mate, Piper Saunders. 
      Weary of the limelight, suspense writer Piper Saunders wants nothing more than an undisturbed place to pen her stories.  The restful community of Sutter Hollow fits her needs perfectly.  In a frightening moment of need, a mysterious knight in dusty, black leather rides to her rescue, and Piper soon learns there’s more to him than meets the eye.  But strange incidents begin happening, occurrences seemingly taken straight from the pages of her latest novel, and Piper feels the first tremors of unease.  Danger lurks where she least expects it, and she can’t ignore the facts for long. 
Going home was never in the cards for Rafe Whitlock…at least, not until a covert Special Ops mission went south, leaving Rafe wounded and his closest friends dead.  Since that devastating nightmare, every decision he’s made—every road he’s travelled—has unerringly led him straight back to the Hollow, forcing him to face the secrets that drove him away.  Thrust into the role of reluctant hero, Rafe’s instincts are tearing him apart.  Self-preservation is driving him to hop on his Harley and kick the town’s dust from his heels once and for all, but something far more compelling and infinitely more primal is urging him to stay.  Can Rafe protect Piper from an obsessive fan that’s growing more jealous—and more dangerous—by the moment?  Or will the dark shadows of Rafe’s past be too terrifying for even Piper’s prolific imagination to accept?

5. How did you come up with the title for your book(s)? 
Usually, when I’m writing, a specific word just pops out of the text at me. Hence, we have a title.
6. What advice would you give to writers just starting out?  
Do your homework.  Not only on the background for the story you are writing, but also on the publisher/agent you are submitting to. Check numerous sources; make sure they have solid track records.  If possible, contact their clients for feedback.  Nothing is worse than pouring your heart and soul into a manuscript and having the emotional high of that offer of publication (particularly on your first book) only to be crushed when you later find out this “fabulous” publisher is only interested in selling your book to YOU.    
7. Who is your favorite author and why?
 I have so many, it’s difficult to pin one specific author down, but I would have to say…Johanna Lindsey.  
What books have most influenced your life?
As far as books influencing me…or rather my career choice, I believe Johanna Lindsey’s Captive Bride was it.  I remember, it was the first real romance novel I’d ever read.  And after reading it, my desire to be a writer took a very specific heading.  I wanted to be a romance author.  End of story. J
8. How did you deal with rejection letters? 
 If constructive feedback was given, I try to look at the story through fresh eyes and, if need be, I try to incorporate the suggestions.  Then again, I also subscribe to the old adage “You can’t please everyone all the time…and so I work at pleasing myself” (at least when it comes to writing).  And so, when I feel my story is solid on its own two feet, I set the rejection aside and move on to the next with the hope that I will come across a “yes” sooner rather than later.
9. Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content? I guess that depends on the story.  I’ve been known to push the limit, I’m sure.  And I know I’ve surprised some people who actually know me and have read my books.  But I believe that how far you go depends on your comfort zones and what is appropriate for the book you are writing at the time.
10.  Which is your favorite of the books you have written?
 That’s a really tough one.  That’s like asking a mother which of her children is her favorite.  I love all my books.  If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have had the courage to “put them out there,” you know.  Each has its own attraction for me.  In MINE, Cole just seemed to be the very definition of an Alpha male.  The connection with him was electric.  And the whole rocker scene was just so fun to write.  In my newest book, CRAVINGS (out TODAY, by the way) I carried over the character of Styx.  I was on the edge of my own seat as the story just seemed to take on a life of its own.  However, if I must pick, I’d have to say SHADOWS holds a special connection for me.  Something about Sutter Hollow just had me from the first.  I actually had the whole town in my head before I even got to meet Cam or JJ or really “knew” their background.  I guess, coming from a small town myself, it was easier for me to pen the “small town mentality.”  Then again, the fiercely loyal, sexy-as-sin Werewolf/Sheriff Cam could give the smoking-hot, Viking Vampyre Cole a real run for his money.  Lol.  (Hmmm…maybe I can’t choose one after all?)
11.  Where can we find you on the net?  www.brendahuber.webs.com
12.  Where can we find out more about your books?   
You can see them all on my website or onwww.thewildrosepress.com keyword: Brenda Huber
Here’s a short excerpt for CRAVINGS, available NOW at www.thewildrosepress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kate O’Rourke extended her hand and turned a heart-stopping smile on him.  The floor slipped out from under his feet, and he fell into eyes the color of spring-fresh grass.  Time spun out while every thought in his head deserted him. 
Hers was a classical beauty, timeless and graceful.  Almost Faerie in quality.  The top of her head barely came to his shoulders.  Her hand was tiny in his.  The touch of her skin on his, warm silk, jolted through him like an electrical charge, nearly bringing him to his knees.
Awareness flickered in her stunning eyes. 
He couldn’t remember where he was.  Couldn’t remember how he’d gotten here…or why.  He couldn’t remember his own damned name right now, but there was no question in his mind.  She’d felt the connection too.  The darker, primitive side of his nature began to take over as he stared deep into her unblinking eyes.  Images began to form in his mind…images of hot, sweat-misted, naked bodies writhing and straining on a tangle of red silk sheets.  Hungry mouths.  Greedy hands.  Racing pulses.  Skin on skin. He blinked, perspiration beading on his brow.  Judging by her dazed expression, those images had been unintentionally transferred to her mind. 
Her blood would taste so sweet.  Not too sweet, but just right.  Her naked body would feel so perfect beneath his.  She’d—
            ¡Dios mio!  What was happening to him?  He’d never lost control like this before.
            “Nice to meet you, Dr. O’Rourke,” he mumbled around a mouthful of throbbing fangs.
            “Please, call me Kate,” she insisted smoothly.  But her eyes were strangely wary now, and she unobtrusively tugging her hand free of his lingering grasp.  Could she sense what he was?  He barely suppressed the shudder that worked its way through his system.  Did she have any idea how close she’d come to a Vampyre’s Kiss? 

No comments: