We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Welcome Author Cindy Green


YGR:  Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?

CG:  I’m originally from California . Anaheim to be specific—the same city as Disneyland . Growing up we could hear and see the fireworks during the summer from the Happiest Place on Earth. We moved to North Carolina about five years ago. The thing I miss most (besides family and friends) is the ability to go to the beach and the mountains in one day. Where we lived , we were about 45 minutes from the beach and 30 minutes from the mountains. That’s what I miss—that and In ‘n Out Burger.

YGR:  As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career?

CG:  Growing up, I knew I want to be a writer and I wrote a lot of stories for my younger siblings. I also knew I wanted to go to college and study history so I could be a college professor one day. Well, I am a published author and I got a degree in history. I didn’t quite get the PhD but I did teach middle school history. I figure that’s pretty close.

YGR:  What do you do for fun?

CG:  I love to read and watch movies (period dramas are my guilty pleasure). I also play basketball with my kids. I lettered in the sport in high school. Photography and scrapbooking is another pastime of mine.
Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
My novella, All I Want for Christmas is about a woman who hates Christmas and the guy ready to make her love it again. It’s a best friends’ romance. They are both writers at the same magazine. She wants to be taken seriously as a journalist instead of just writing puff pieces and then they get saddled with the Orphan Toy Drive story. In the meantime, she starts receiving gifts from a Secret Santa. It’s a great story. Sweet but not too sweet. Great for this time of year but also anytime of the year. It’s got a nice little romance but it’s also about change, getting  over the past and moving on to make your own future. It’s out now with Champagne Books.

In January I have a short historical western releasing with Champagne Books called Listen to Your Heart. It’s a sequel to my best selling story, The Heart Never Lies. The new story follows the same characters but I just go a little deeper. My hero’s past comes back to haunt him and just might tear him and the heroine apart forever. I can’t wait to see this one come out.


YGR:  What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

CG:  Read a lot and then READ some more. Read in the genre you hope to write in and read books on the craft. Then write, write, write. Join a writing community and a critique group or get a critique partner.


YGR:  Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

CG:  Oh sure. I heard from a famous author that writer’s block was just being afraid that you aren’t perfect. He hit it right on the head. To break up my writer’s block I might switch to another manuscript. I’m always in the middle of several. I read voraciously in whatever genre I’m writing and that sometimes gets me back on track. Just getting out of doors helps clear the head or doing some people watching. Research also helps.

YGR:  Who is your favorite author and why? 

CG: Without a doubt—Jane Austen. She’s been a favorite since I first read Pride in Prejudice as a twelve year old girl (Although her novel Persuasion is now my favorite.). Through the years I’ve come to appreciate and love her writing. Miss Austen had a special gift, a talent if you will, not just in writing but in knowing people. Think about it. Here is this prim and proper (though some would argue this point) Regency era woman, unmarried, and coming from the middle of the social pool—and she has this uncanny ability to write the most terrific characters. She wrote characters to hate, laugh at, and fall in love with. Some of the other greats of classic literature also had this remarkable ability—Dickens for instance and Shakespeare. Think of their casts of characters that once read will never be forgotten.


YGR:  Which is your favorite of the books you have written?

CG:  Probably my novel, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Your Wedding. It’s the characters first of all and the story. The heroine really just wants to belong. She’s lost her parents and now her best friend is about to get married. A few months before the start of the book, her own engagement broke up and so she’s feeling alone and even a little abandoned and then she runs into the hero—literally. It’s a great ‘cute-meet’ in the middle of a rain storm. A Funny Thing was my first novel and though I’ve grown and improved as an author, it is still such a moving, touching story that I just love it. It’s available at White Rose Publishing and Amazon.

YGR:  Where can we find you on the net?

CG:  I’m all over the place. You can find me at my website www.cindykgreen.comYou can also follow me on my BlogIn addition, I have a Homeschooling Blog and a Teen Fiction Blog. I can be reached by email atcindy@cindykgreen.com. I’m on Myspace Facebook Twitter and Twitter for my YA friendsAnd I have aNewsletter.

YGR:  Where can we find out more about your books?

CG:  My website and blog are good places or AmazonMy publishers are White Rose PublishingThe Wild Rose Press,Champagne Books and Whimsical Publications.

14 comments:

Stacey said...

It was great to learn more about you, Cindy. Your books sound great. I especially like the cowboy ones. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow.
Stacey

Keena Kincaid said...

Great interview, Cindy. Whenever I'm away from water, I always miss it. When I loved from New York to Kansas City years ago, I thought I'd die of dehydration. LOL!

Your Christmas story sounds perfect. I like sweet, but not too sweet.

Maggie Toussaint said...

Very cool, Cindy! And I love your advice to read and read some more in the genre in which you are writing. The more you know, the more you get right, or at least, that's what I've found. Wishing you all the best with your books!

Maggie

Delia Latham said...

Great interview! Cindy, I so love the cover of . It's been fun, as always, getting to know a fellow White Rose author better. (Basketball? Your kids must love having such an energetic mom!)

I pray God blesses you and your career abundantly!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Wonderful interview Cindy!

Lainey said...

Nice interview, Cindy.

I pen-paled with a gal from Anaheim all the way through school and actually got to meet her the year I graduated high school. Awesome experience!

Have to agree, 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Your Wedding' is a sweet, stay-with-you kind of story, which I personally think are the best kind. Great job.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Cindy,
Great interview, nice to know a little more about you. I love Christmas stories.
Regards

Margaret

Maeve said...

What a wonderful interview, Cindy. Now, I feel as though I know you so much better. Best of luck to you, but as great as your books sound --I don't think you NEED luck! :-)

Lilly Gayle said...

Love the book trailer, Cindy! It looks like a preview for a Lifetime Holiday movie!
Nice interview too. And btw, I live in NC and could drive to the beach and mountains in one day...if I didn't mind driving 3 hours to the beach from my house and then 6 hours to the mountains from the beach. lol!

Donna B said...

Wow, Cindy, you're everywhere! Great interview! Doesn't Like Christmas sounds really cute! I love your stories.

Victoria Roder said...

Cindy,
Enjoyed your interview and learning about you as a writer.

liana laverentz said...

I just picked up two books in my genre to read today...and am looking forward to every minute of reading them! Great interview, Cindy...

StephB said...

Cindy, I know I'm late, but what a great interview. I love In & Out. If I could, I'd send you some. :(

Good luck with your latest releases. I enjoy reading your stories.

Smiles
Steph

Ashley Barnard said...

Great interview, Cindy, and great to meet another Austenite! : )