We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, January 28, 2011

Welcome Author Jamie Hill

The Story Behind the Story – Hide and Seek by Jamie Hill

I originally wrote Hide and Seek a few years ago, and targeted it at a big publisher with very specific lines. I quickly discovered (scratch that, nothing happens quickly with big publishers!) I later discovered that the guidelines for submissions within that house's various lines was quite specific, and I failed to do proper research about the line.

I blame it on the children. No, not my own (who are used to getting blamed.) More specifically, I blame Sophie, the little girl in Hide and Seek. The line I queried doesn't allow children in their books. They also frown upon (and I've heard this more than once) divorced heroes. Apparently, children and divorce are okay for people in the real world, but they don’t work in romance novels.

Excuse me? I beg to differ. While it's true that readers use our books as an escape from ordinary life, I can't believe that no one is interested in reading about life after divorce, or sexy hero single dads meeting Ms. Right. Hide and Seek is proof of that. Sales have been brisk since it's release and first reviews are glowing. (Thanks Val!)


Again, it all boils down to doing proper research for the line or company which an author is submitting to. I was so frustrated after I figured out the problem with Hide and Seek, I set it aside for a while and went on to other work.

Last summer I was approached by a friend online about joining forces to create a new, author-friendly publishing house. Books We Love Publishing Partners (BWLPP) was born last fall. I've since placed several titles there that were orphaned after previous publishers closed. Now I've pulled out my stack of 'not yet published' titles, and after reading through them, discovered I'm just as much in love with those books as when I wrote them. Hide and Seek was the first novel to get a shiny new edit and a pretty cover, courtesy of Sheri L. McGathy. The second book in that series, Run to Me, will be released in February from BWLPP.
I've got four other titles I'm polishing for release later in the year. I've really been enjoying revisiting some characters that I love, and hope you'll grow to love, too. And the nice thing about BWLPP is that I can call my own shots. My characters have kids, divorces, and lots of the same problems you and I have. They also have heart, spunk, and I find them very entertaining! I hope you'll join me on this journey and see exactly what I'm talking about.

You can find me and my various titles here:
and find my blog here:
Or sign up for my email announcement list. No chat, no spam, just news when it happens!
Thanks so much to You Gotta Read for having me here today. Have a great weekend everyone!
Jamie Hill
Spicy Sassy Suspense

6 comments:

Jude Mason said...

You can't blame Sophie! She's a sweetheart and I adore that child. Who else could put up with her dad and that crazy woman he's in love with?

Hehehe!

Fantastic interview Jamie. I did chuckle (sorry) when I realized you hadn't followed the guidelines properly. That's one of the first things I tell new authors who ask for pointers. Guess I didn't know you back then huh?

But, this book is awesome. The next one is too, but the first is the one I fell in love with.

Hugs

Jamie Hill said...

Back then I didn't know anything about guidelines. Now of course, I realize how important it is to follow them. Thanks for stopping by Jude, and thanks for having me here today You Gotta Read!

Juliet Waldron said...

Fun interview, Jamie. Love "real" romance. Years ago, I too used to wonder why something as free as love had to fit into some publishing house's category? Getting on with life--even after a major crash and burn--can BE romantic too.

Barbara M. Hodges said...

Great interview, Jamie. I haven't read this one yet, but I will.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Jamie,
Great interview. I can relate to a publishing house closing down, I think we were at the same publishing house at one time. I can't see anything wrong with divorced heroes and kids either.
Good luck with all your projects.

Regards

Margaret

Connie Northrop said...

Sophie is smarter than those placed that turned her down... Seriously, have these people ever asked readers what they like? I enjoy reading a book that doesn't doom me just because I'm divorced and have a kid. Keep up the great writing!! :0)