We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Welcome Author Sable Hunter


1. Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?
My hometown is New Orleans, Louisian
a. I love everthing about it! When
I was a child, I
played on the banks of the Mississippi and walked
through the French Quater to get ice cream. I grew up on tales of
ghosts and voodoo. We ate red beans and rice on Mondays and I can cook
a mean pot of gumbo. Mardi Gras was as special a day as Christmas.
There is nothing in this world as wonderful as New
Orleans. Now, I live
in central Texas and it has it's own brand of charm. Austin is weird
and we wan
t to keep it that way. The hill country is beautiful and the
best looking men in the world are from Texas! Cowboys!

2. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that
childhood dream affected your current career?

As a child, I wanted to be a diplomat and work for world peace. So, now
I write erotic lo
ve stories that bring a smile to people's faces. I
guess the end result is the same - happiness.

3. What do you do for fun?

There are several things that I do for fun. I love to horseback ride
and train huge Beefmaster bulls for the show ring. Since I write
paranormal stories as well as cowboys, I'm also fascinated with the
supernatural. I love the show TAPS and enjoy creeping around cemeteries
after dark. Cooking is a joy for me - especially Cajun and Texmex. One
of the things that my husband and I love to do together is travel in our
RV. All in all, we keep busy.

4. How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?

Living
in New Orleans definitely colored my writing. The lore of New
Orleans and the mystique of Texas creeps into every book that I write.
Another common thread in my writing is the ugly duckling heroine who
doubts her own worth. This probably stems from my own insecurities and
dreams of being swept off my feet by a real hero who would be able to
see past my limitations to the beauty within.

5. Tell us about your latest book.

My latest book was HEART IN CHAINS. It is a story about two people who
think they are too strong and self-sufficent to ever need anyone else.
Tyler Landon is a Texas Ranger who flirts with the Dom/Sub lifestyle. He
has never had a serious relationship and has no plans to pursue one -
until he meets Aliyah. With Aliiyah he finds that his greatest strength
is the ability to become vulnerable to someone who holds his heart in
her hand. One of the sweetest scenes in the book to me is when that
tough Texas R
anger comes into the kitchen holding a bouquet of wild
flowers behind his back.

Aliyah has no experience in a normal boy/girl relationship. She has
lived as a soldier and a sniper - never as a woman who is simply desired
by a man. She will do anything to keep Tyler safe - even sacrifice her
own life. Together, they find that love is the greatest adventure of
all.

Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about
it?

I have the 2nd in the Hell Yeah! Series coming out in January 2011 - HOT
ON HER TRAIL. The series tells the story of the hunky McCoy brothers;
luscious Texas Cowboys who love their women, their families and the land
that they call home - Tebow Ranch. HOT ON HER TRAIL is Jacob and Jessies
story. Jessie walks on Tebow land pregnant with Jacobs child - even
though they've never met and she is still a virgin - it's going to be a
wild, wild ride.

Joseph McCoys story will come out in the spring. He was paralyzed when
he flipped his dirtbike. Cady comes to Tebow as his physical therapist.
She will heal his body, as well as his heart. Cady comes with a little
extra ability - she is an empath and is determined to give him back his
agility, his manhood and his pride.

HEART IN CHAINS has a sequel coming out before summer - Spanish Eyes -
starring Drew and Angelina whose story is haunting me already. Angelina
was tortured by the same group that nearly killed Aliyah - and Drew
makes it his mission in life to heal her with a love that is stronger
than her doubts and fears.

6. How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?

Heart in Chains is a hint at the BDSM lifestyle as well as a reference
to the despair that the hero, Texas Ranger Tyler Landon, feels when his
love - Mossad agent Aliyah Sharon is sent to certain death at the hands
of a terrorist as a hostage exchange.
Cowboy Heat is pretty obvious - Hunky Cowboys creating immense amounts
of heated longing in their female counterparts.
Sweet Evangeline is named for it's heroine. She is a woman of powerful
magick, named for the Acadian legend of the woman who was separated for
a lifetime from her true love. Evangeline almost loses Eric and their
journey to happiness is magical.

Scarlet Fever is a play on words. The heroine's name is Scarlet and the
physical and emotional impact that she has on the hero puts him in the
best kind of 'fever'.

7. Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the
headlines” in your work?

Yes, in my paranormal erotic series, I used Hurricane Katrina and it's
continuing aftermath. Also, in Scarlet Fever I touched on the Health
Care debate and the problems a person would have if they were to need a
kidney transplant without insurance.

In Heart in Chains I did take stories out of the newspaper concerning
the problems that Texas has with the Mexican Drug Cartels on the border.
So, yes, contemporary events factor heavily in my work.

8. How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?

My work is fiction, of course - but, there are always family stories and
friends stories that creep into the pages. More than once, I have had
family members laugh at 'finding' themselves in a passage. The old
adage is 'write what you know' and that is more or less how I operate.
Now, the sex scenes - - - - come right out of my bedroom, baby. Ha!
Wishful thinking.

9. Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?

I write fast and I write in series. My main problem is that as soon as
I get one project going, another one starts bearing on my mind. I'm
like the cow standing at the fence - the grass is always greener on the
other side. I can't enjoy one story without longing to start telling
another one.

10. What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

I know they've heard it before - but just write. Don't let rejection
letters get you down - keep writing. And MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - write
what you like to read. If you don't enjoy your own work, no one will.

11.Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about
it?

The type of block that I get is emotional. I have to be happy to write.
When my life gets tangled up in problems or worries, my writing comes
to a halt. I'm not the type of writer whose work improves if I am
suffering. I want to write happy stories, not tragedies.
12. Who is your favorite author and why?
My favorite authors are: Maya Banks, Lorelei James, Sarah McCarty and
Lora Leigh. These ladies know how to tell a story and they have made me
want to add my two cents to the mix. Which I have. Yeah!
What books have most influenced your life?
The books that have most influenced my life are romances, of course.
Not too long ago Mills and Boon started following me on Twitter. I
thanked them for the follow and told them how they had impacted my life.
From the time I hit puberty, I always had at least 3 or 4 romances in
my book bag. I read everynight and daydreamed stories from that time
on. I wrote my first romance before I went to college and I've never,
seriously, wanted to do anything else.

13. How did you deal with rejection letters?

Rejection letters hurt, there's not a doubt about that. Over time, it
gets easier - but that first one can throw you into a tail spin. The
main thing to remember is that everybody gets them and that they can be
the best learning experience there is. My best writer friend told me
that it can be like child-birth: the first time you get an acceptance
call or letter, then you forget the pain of the rejections really fast.

14. What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?

I use a laptop computer. My tech person has all kinds of gadgets and
gizmos and fancy programs to tweak things, but I use standard Microsoft
Word to produce my work. An invaluable tool for me is the internet -
absolutely anything you need to know is there if you word your search
just right.
OF COURSE - A WRITER'S GREATEST TOOL IS A GOOD IMAGINATION!!!!!

15. Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or
erotic content?

I don't know - I haven't got there yet. No, seriously. I write erotic
romances and my husband says that I describe my sex scenes in detail -
blow by blow and thrust by thrust. I've been told that I write
delicious sex, and that was a great compliment. I have ventured into
BDSM and have a menage coming out this summer called DOUBLE TROUBLE.
So, the line for me is yucky stuff - I don't like to describe any type
of sex that would humiliate any of my characters or cause anyone to
throw up.
Gory doesn't bother me. I love horror - so the wilder, the better.
However, I don't write that genre, so it's not a factor.
I have dealt with spousal abuse and that is hard stuff to write.

16. Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?
Oh, yes. In my paranormal books I have dealt with ghosts, hoodoo,
voodoo, witches - the whole specturm. I'm from New Orleans, though - so
that stuff is second nature for me.
I love to do research and I keep a notebook with me at all times. That
way, if I read anything or hear anything that I think that I might can
use later - I jot it down. The same goes when I am reading newspapers,
magazines, watching TV or even listening to a sermon at church - when an
idea arises you have to be ready to record it, or it might just slip
through your fingers. It's amazing where you can get ideas.

17. Which is your favorite of the books you have written?

My favorite is Cowboy Heat. I fell in love with the whole family and I
can't wait to write about each one. I always fall for my heroes,
though. And it makes me sad when I finish a book and have to close the
curtain on a couple. But, I've solved that predicament - now, I write
series, so I can revisit the couple every now and then and see what
they're doing.

18. What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

The weirdest thing that I've ever done is to buy a certain type of sex
toy so I could be sure how it worked. Nothing beats hands on, believe
me.

19. Where can we find you on the net?

My website is sablehunter.com. Come visit me - I have a newsletter and
you can always drop me a line at sablehunter@rocketmail.com I love to
talk to my readers and I always answer your emails. I get suggestions
for plots, characters and things that they would like to see me work
into my books. I'm always open to hear why the readers have to say. If
you want to know something, ask. If you want to know when a book is
coming out, ask. I would love to hear from you.

20. Where can we find out more about your books?

I have a presence at The Romance Studio and Coffeetime Romance. Of
course you can always find me at my website. My books are available at

4 comments:

Wynter Daniels said...

Your books sound terrific. And I love your research method;-) Hands on is definitely the way to go!

sable hunter said...

Thanks Wynter I do love to research and I have a DVR full of Cinemax late night to use as an encylopedia of visual inspiration, as well.
Sable

Author Brynna Curry said...

Thanks for visiting, Sable!

Dawn said...

Cowboys :) Nothing better than a Western Love Story!!