We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Welcome Author Charmaine Gordon

Born and raised in Chicago, my parents expected me to be the dutiful daughter, then good wife and mother. Secretly I desired to be a dancer/singer. Instead I did the expected, burying my desires while fulfilling everyone else’s dreams although talent will out and I did indeed learn to sing and dance on my own. Acting came later when no one noticed. Ah, the subterfuge of it all.
It wasn’t until my many children were grown, the youngest then sixteen and we lived in NY that I pursued a professional career, not looking for stardom at my age. Soon I was on daytime drama, commercials, movies, and stage and toward the end of the run of an off Broadway play, I had an idea for a story. I’d read enough scripts to know about realistic dialogue and knew about painting the scene. So I wrote my first book. Before too long-yes rejections came but actors shrug them off-a publisher offered a contract. Now I had credibility as an author. I wrote another story. Someone bought the first book, recommended me to her publisher, Vanilla Heart Publishing and another book came to life. Four books in one year. Not bad for a late start.
My advice to someone starting out: just do it and don’t be afraid to open your veins to let emotions pour out.
I dislike gratuitous, gore or sex just to titillate. Use when appropriate and don’t over-do. How many pages does it take to describe the sexual act, folks, and how many times does it bear repeating?


NOW WHAT?”-  romance/suspense with a touch of paranormal is a story close to my heart.
PROLOGUE

            It was 2:30 a.m. when the phone rang.  I fumbled for it, my heart starting a race toward
bad news.
            Our doctor’s voice urged me to hurry.  I crammed into clothes as if I expected this
call. Actually I thought all would be well, or did I? It was only a fever that wouldn’t go down.
 Only a fever yet the dogs had curled up next to him on his favorite couch and never left his side
all week. His ruddy complexion drained to gray. Only a fever.
            I cried all the way driving too fast on Eden’s Expressway. Then the slow elevator
 ride to the fourth floor, a sprint down the dim corridor to his room. He lay on the hospital bed
where I’d kissed him goodbye not so many hours before. I’d said, “See you tomorrow.” My
 husband of thirty years replied with words I hadn’t heard in a long time. “I love you.” Not
since the heart attack two years before when he began listening to his heart beat and forgot about
me. When he said them, other words flashed across my mind, like writing on a sign: Too late,
 Bobby. Maybe we both sensed the crossroads ahead, the impending doom.
            Our doctor shook his head. “Bob had difficulty breathing. They called me. We did
everything possible to save him. I held him in my arms when he took his last breath. Carly, I’m
 so sorry.”
            I asked him to have everyone leave me alone. Settling in beside my Bob, I held his
cooling hand and asked the two words spoken many times during our years together.
“Now what?” This time there was no response. I was on my own for the first time.
            My hands caressed his sweet face knowing he wasn’t there. Only his shell
 lay on the bed. The essence, the beauty of his spirit had moved on. I let my eyes gaze around the
colorless room; the water glass half empty now, straw bent for easy access. His toothbrush
 leaned in a container, toothpaste smeared down its side. The scuffed leather slippers under the
bed and striped terry cloth robe—a Christmas gift from the kids, draped over a nearby chair.
Homey and homely. And the saddest sight I’ve ever seen.
            When my fingers touched his wedding ring, I slipped it off and held it in my fist. The
 gold band was warm. I clung to him. “Come back to me, dearest.”
            I knew from past experience, loved ones always return.

You’ve all hear about sleep-walkers. I’m a sleep writer. An idea comes in the night and in the morning, I write.
My next book recently published by Vanilla Heart is RECONSTRUCTING CHARLIE, Contemporary Romance/Suspense.
Blurb:

Reconstructing Charlie

Charlie Costigan has a secret. Home life gone from bad to the worst when she protects her mother from another vicious attack by her drunken father. Midnight. Clothes thrown into an old suitcase, she races for the bus with a letter to an unknown aunt and uncle. “This is my daughter. Embrace her as if she were your own.”

Determined, Charlie begins again. Alone with her secret.
Reconstructing Charlie  by Charmaine Gordon

Thank you for inviting me to yougottareadreviews. It’s been a pleasure and honor being with you today.
Charmaine Gordon



18 comments:

lastnerve said...

Both of these books look like amazing reads. I will certainly be adding them to my TBR list. Great post today and Ms. Gordon, it was so nice to get to know you!

Val

charmainegordon author said...

Hey Val,

Back atcha. Thanks for dropping by. Keep in touch, please. Sometimes a free anthology of short stories becomes available as a download. Readers special.

Charmaine
cgordon3@verizon.net

charmainegordon author said...

As a side comment, RECONSTRUCTING CHARLIE has no sex scenes. Charlie chooses to remain a virgin until she's at the altar. Or maybe. . .

Deanna Jewel said...

Charmaine - Love your interviews where we learn yet another piece of your life story! Reconstructing Charlie starts off with a hook and keeps the reader turning pages. Congrats on this new book but I know you have more coming soon! Thank you for taking us on adventures with you and your characters!

*hugs* Best wishes for skyrocketing sales!

lastnerve said...

Thanks for commenting back. I am subscribed to your blog now and if anyone would like to do the same, here is the link http://authorcharmainegordon.com/Meet_The_Author.html

I have Reconstructing Charlie on the list for my daughter!

Val

Chelle Cordero said...

Great interview Charmaine! I adore your writing (but then you know that).

Everyone, I highly recommend putting Ms. Gordon's books on your TBR list.

~Chelle
http://ChelleCordero.com

Mary Ricksen said...

I have to tell you, that was one of the best excerpts I have ever, ever, read. I can't wait to read it. You are so lyrical in your writing and it's a must read for me. What a talented person you are and I wonder if your acting experience didn't help your writing. Good stuff!

Hywela Lyn said...

Great interview Charmaine, and congratulations on pursuing your dreams - even if later than you would have liked. It's so easy to be driven to do what people want or expect you to do, instead of living the life YOU want! Kudos to you, and your books sound wonderful. (I agree about the gratuitous sex etc. too, sometimes a little is required but it is so overdone sometimes.)

Wishing you continued success!

charmainegordon author said...

Thanks, kids-and I use the term loosely with affection. This is an exciting time for a high mileage woman.
Yes, acting, reacting and listening makes a big difference when you write. You must open your veins and not be afraid of emotions. I cried my way through many scenes and laughed. Don't forget humor. It's what carries all of us through bad times.
Love to all.
Charmaine

Sun Singer said...

You know, I never thought about how being an actor or an actress could help a writer develop an ear for dialogue. Well, duh, Malcolm. (Too far outside my experience.)

You do write good dialogue.

Malcolm

charmainegordon author said...

Malcolm, I'll need a bigger hat with the compliment. Thanks for taking the time to drop by.

She said, "We've got to stop meeting like this. Now the whole neighborhood will know."

Sun Singer said...

Oops, you mean these comments are public. OMG.

charmainegordon author said...

Hi Val,
You might want to check out RECONSTRUCTING CHARLIE before handing it to your teen. It's not written for YA although I realized at a book signing the other day, Charlie is fifteen-page one-and has reasons for her stand on moral issues.

Best,
Charmaine

lastnerve said...

Thanks for letting me know Charmaine, She's rather mature for intellectually for her age so I'm sure that I won't have a problem with her reading it.

charmainegordon author said...

Here's a free gift anthology from Vanilla Heart to all of you leaving comments. Short stories-puzzles-games-recipes with an Earth day motif.

http://store.payloadz.com/go?id=936030

One of my short stories is included.

lastnerve said...

Awwww, thank you so much Charmain

Sharon Donovan said...

Hi Charmaine, I can only ditto what all have proclaimed. You are indeed a woman of many talents and wear your many hats well. Must read your books now that you've drawn me in. Mega sales, m'dear.

charmainegordon author said...

Sharon, our paths have crossed before. Thanks so much for stopping by. Your comment warms my heart.

Success and good health.
Charmaine