We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Welcome Author Donna Wierzbowski

Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown? I grew up in Silicon Valley, California and in east Texas. I love Silicon Valley because of the profusion of jobs (it's the high tech capital of the USA) and its wonderful climate. 
  1. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career? As a child, I wanted to be an author and book illustrator. I've accomplished my first dream, anyway. After teaching high school English for many years, I've come back to my childhood dream--thank God!
  2. What do you do for fun?  For fun, I golf, ski and spend time with family. My husband and I love to travel, too.
  3. How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?  Since I'm half Hispanic, I was able to use my Hispanic culture in my first two novels, OPERATION FAMILIA (award winner) and HASTA LA VISTA, BABY.
  4. Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?  BORN TO SING is the first of a series about professional singers and their careers and love lives. I'm excited about this series. And because I know a lot of professional performers, it's fun to research and write.

  5. How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?  Some people with the gift of a great voice feel like they were born with this gift for a special reason--to entertain and inspire others.  Thus, BORN TO SING.
  6. Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?  Not yet.
  7. How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?  My work is always based on real people, real incidents and situations. I mainly embellish the raw product. That's what makes research so much fun. I apply my imagination to something real and make it more exciting.
  8. Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?  Promoting my work after it sells. This is the hard part. The creative part is so much more rewarding and fun.
  9. What advice would you give to writers just starting out?  If you're not as tenacious as a mule, don't even start.
  10. Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?  I've never had writer's block. When I get tired of writing, I do other things: Go to movies, go to church, go out with friends, read a good book, travel.
  11. Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?  I have so many favorite authors but in the thriller category, I'd have to name Brad Thor and Vince Flynn. Also, Michael Connelly is a terrific crime/legal thriller writer. Growing up, I read a lot of F.Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, JOhn Steinbeck, Pearl S. Buck, Edna Ferber. Most Americans have never heard of these wonderful American authors. What a shame!
  12. How did you deal with rejection letters?  At first, I was crushed and wouldn't write for weeks. Now, I just shrug and say, "Your loss, fool!"
  13. What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?  A clear head and the skin of a rhino.
  14. Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?  I only write what I personally like to read. For me, too much gore turns me off and gratuitous sex is boring.
  15. Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?  All the time. I loved the story line of Noel Coward's play, PRIVATE LIVES. I might use it in one of my series books.
  16. Which is your favorite of the books you have written?  OPERATION FAMILIA came straight from the heart and reflects a lot of the bicultural values I grew up with.
  17. What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?  To research an important climactic scene for OPERATION FAMILIA, my sister and I ventured down into Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, one of the bordertowns rife with drug cartel violence. We saw a  pickup truck with cartel commandos in the back, riding around with assault rifles. Needless to say, we got the hell out of there pretty quickly!  A month later, the mayor was killed by the cartel's Zitas, cartel assassins, and the town became one of the most dangerous bordertowns for both Americans and Mexicans. I don't plan on going back.
  18. Where can we find you on the net?  www.donnadeloro.com
  19. Where can we find out more about your books? My web page, www.devinedestinies.com, www.floricantopress.com, www.amazon.com.

No comments: