We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, April 4, 2011

Welcome Author H.C. Brown

1.     Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?
H.C.  I'm English born but I lived in Australia for a very long time. I have had the joy of living in the bush with all that comes with it—the droughts that last for five years at a time, summers of over 106F, bushfires and floods.   I've had so many experiences for my Muse to create interesting storylines.  Now I live on the coast, with long expanses of white sand and sunsets to die for. This place is an inspiration too.
2.     As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career?
H.C. I won a scholarship to a great school for young ladies, at the age of eleven for outstanding English Language and Literature. They put me in Jane Austen House so they must have seen something in me at an early age. I've always wanted to write but ended up teaching Physics and Chemistry at a local High School.
3.     What do you do for fun?
H.C. To be perfectly honest I love to write. I do it every day. I enjoy walking on the beach and try to do this every day. I swim and I read three novels a fortnight.
4.     How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?
H.C. My grandmother was a gypsy, tracing her lines back to the Bunni tribe in England. A true psychic, she foretold my life at the age of ten. Everything has come true so far including the man I would marry and nationality. She had nine children all with amazing abilities. So yes, they have influenced my writing. Readers often comment that my gay books carry a message and in truth, I hope they do. I had the wonderful fortune to have a gay uncle. Only nine years my senior he was more like a brother to me. He explained to me that the awful way people treated him was due to their lack of understanding. I know his great compassion, love and understanding have molded me to appreciate that love is love. I hope this reflects in my books and I wish he were still alive to see my stories published.
5.     Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
H.C. Hawke's Purr-fect Mate- Pride Brothers Series is my latest release from Noble romance Publishing.
A Paranormal Erotic Romance with ménage and M/M.
Deliciously handsome, insatiable alpha male, Hawke of Knight Watch, has a reputation, for a voracious and varied sex life. However, his ability to attract streams of men and women to his bed comes into question when he meets the mysterious, Ice Princess, Lydia.
Lydia born of both Fae and Pride has a secret. Unable to chance the man of her dreams discovering the truth about her, she publically refuses the handsome Prince Hawke.
 Disillusioned and heart sore, Hawke must join Nox ,King of the Faerie, to fight the battle of his life against the dogs invading his realm, and for the love of his true mate.

.
I am writing a gay, BDSM historical circa. 1772. A new era for me. Set in the time when England sat on the edge of the American Revolution, the Anti-sodomite Movement and the Hellfire Clubs. The name of the story is Lord Byron's Secret Obsession.
Another story from the BDSM club Floggers I have called  Hurt Me Good  is in the next pile of submissions. Here I bring in Nash Mage's cousin, Synn Mage and tell his badass Dom story.
6.     How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?
H.C. To be honest the title comes first then the story J

7.     Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
H.C. Burn, came about after reading about bush fires sweeping the state. The images filled my head. I've lived through many bushfires and watched the firemen risk their lives hundreds of times. The story wrote itself.
8.     How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?
H.C. This is  a hard question. I'm a listener. I listen to people's problems, their experiences. I was chatting to a gay stripper (male) the other day and it has triggered a story.
9.     Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
H.C. I need to slow down. I write very fast often having four or more stories  in my head at one time. I have to make myself slow it down and make every sentence, every description better than the one before.
10.  What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
H.C. Learn your craft. Join organizations that have published authors there to help you.  Find the publisher/agent who is looking for your genre, so make sure you research before submitting. Read, read, read new published books- Jane Austen's writing style won't help you in 2011. Create your own voice. Never give up,
11.  Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
H.C.  If I get stuck, I read the manuscript through and it usually triggers the story line. Or, I start a new story. If you are bored with the story, the reader will be bored too. I actually believe writers block is due to outside problems not the story. Being worried over a submission, a rejection or whatever usually causes self- doubt. This I think is writers block.  So get yourself up, brush yourself off and start all over again.
12.  Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
H.C. Diana Gabaldon. I love historical and they way she switches from first person to third is amazing, I wish she could write more Lord John stories . . . well more anything. I also like Nora Roberts, I think I have every one of her books. My biggest influence was Carol Berg. She writes with the most exquisite detail and ambience. I think she was the first author to make me cry, the intensity of her stories are truly amazing. I hang out for her new releases.
13.  How did you deal with rejection letters?
H.C. This depends. I think the rejections that have constructive criticism are quite valuable. I think anyone can learn from these rejections. The form letter rejections have, I'm sure, destroyed many writers dreams. I have had rejections, admittedly not many, but they usually hurt more than I can say. The last one gave me pause to continue writing. The thought to quit soon crushed by three subsequent contracts but the hurtful words are still ringing in the back of my mind.
14.  What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
H.C. Imagination, the ability to show not tell, infinite patience and a VERY thick skin (which is my failing. People often hurt my feelings and I know I shouldn't care BUT I do.).
15.  Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
H.C. I think some gory descriptions during battles, for example, are necessary to create the ambience of a scene. Although, I keep mine short. Erotic content where it moves the story along is fine between consenting adults but I would never write about, rape, pedophilia, incest or bestiality.
16.  Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?
H.C. I have researched actual court cases for Lord Byron's Secret Obsession. As well, as reams of historical documents for that time period.
17.  Which is your favorite of the books you have written?
Shifters & Demons, Dominate Me in Flogger's Holiday Sale and Lord Byron's Secret Obsession. Purr-fect Seduction is also a favorite. I love all my books to be honest . . . . I'm not biased at all. LOL
18.  What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
H.C. Go to a BDSM club with a gay Dom.
19.  Where can we find you on the net?


20.  Where can we find out more about your books?
http://www.jasminejade.com/m-709-hc-brown.aspx

1 comment:

H.C. Brown said...

Thank you for having me today :-)