We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, April 29, 2011

Welcome Author Robin Badillo

  1. Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?
I’m from a small town north of Houston, Texas. I love the country life, but if I feel the need for a night out in the city, Houston is only half an hour away. Small town living is great; quiet evenings lounging on the patio and seeing familiar faces every time we go to the grocery store is a nice aspect I cherish. My kids think I know everyone!!
  1. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career?
I wanted to be a teacher when I was a kid. Then after growing up, I realized I lacked the patience for kids other than my own. It’s probably best for all concerned that I didn’t follow that career choice. ;-)
My oldest son, however, is in college now, preparing to go where his mother didn’t have the nerve to go. He plans to teach history. I’ve heard a rumor that my 16yr old daughter wants to teach English…bless her little heart.
  1. What do you do for fun?
Fun? Such a thing exists? I love spending time with my kids. I have four of the little monsters, though they’re far from little, now (notice the monster part remained).  My youngest is 13 and my oldest is about to be 19 this summer. Life is always full of excitement and sometimes insanity.
  1. How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?
Growing up in a family full of down to earth, country folk has given me the best of both worlds. Although most of my characters are city born and contemporary, I always manage a character or two that some would say remind them of people I’m related to, especially the hard headed men.
I think my background helps me to create believable characters with flaws, egos, attitudes and of course, big hearts.
  1. Tell us about your latest book.  
May 1st, “Whiskey Road”, my first contemporary short story will release exclusively at Trapezium eBooks. This is not only my first short, but my first non-vampire/paranormal story. I’m excited to see how readers receive a little taste of another genre. It’s very exciting to step out of my comfort zone and have fun with something new.
This story is about a woman on the brink of divorce who finds a chance to start anew when an unexpected traveler gets turned around and finds his way into her east Texas saloon.
  1. Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
May 15th will mark the release of book 2 in my Blood Hunter Trilogy, “The Betrayal”. This installment will bring new characters tied to the storyline in book one, “The Beginning.” The hero in “The Betrayal”, Jason Craft is my favorite of all my heroes and I can’t wait for the world to meet the handsome devil. 
  1. How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?
When writing a series, I try to go along with the theme or message of that particular installment. In the Blood Hunter Trilogy, I kept it simple by showing the three stages of the entire story that spans the three books, The Beginning, The Betrayal and lastly, The Return.
For Whiskey Road, the title represents the name of the saloon and the country road where the entire story takes place. The Whiskey Road Saloon sort of takes on a role as a supporting character in the story as well. It fit nicely.
  1. What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Ah, great question. My first piece of advice would be to toughen up the skin. The publishing world can be an unforgiving place and if someone wants to survive with their ego intact, it helps to possess the ability to accept criticism and find a way to learn and grow from it. No one can please everyone all the time, but if you listen, learn and apply the things you’re told, you will be a much better writer because if it.
Oh, and don’t go into this career with the hopes of getting rich quick. Lightning doesn’t strike everyone and even when it does it can fade just as swiftly as it hit.
  1. Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
The last few weeks I’ve been plagued with writer’s block. I’m not sure if it’s been the stress of so many irons in the fire at once or the frustration of tying up a series and desperately wanting to get it right.
Lately, my usual remedies haven’t fared so well, but just this week, my muse returned and the story is coming together nicely. I think if I try too hard, I only prolong the pain. Sometimes it’s just best to stop looking, walk away and let the words find you.
  1. Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
As a mother of two teenage girls, I tend to write with them in mind. With my first trilogy,Journey of the Damned, I was very careful with love scenes. Violence hasn’t been an issue considering vampires feed on blood, so sex was my only concern.
My current trilogy and short story are considerablyhotter and I’m a bit more comfortable taking the sex to new heat levels. If my 16yr old asks to read anything, I warn her and judging by the scowl, “grossed out” shudder and a disgusted roll of her eyes,I’m certain she skips over the naughty parts.
Mama must be doing something right.
  1. Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?
Oh my, yes. Research takes up a great deal of time. It’s a necessary evil if you want accuracy, believability and just pain ol’ good story telling. I’ve researched everything from herbs, real and mythical animals and beasts, historical and modern places, cars, motorcycles and even medical terminology and how a body decomposes. It may be yucky, but it’s relevant to certain story elements.
I’ve found myself spending as much as two hours researching something for the sake of one paragraph. Every moment spent assures me that I’m getting it right.
  1. Out of the books you have written, do you have a favorite?
Blood Hunter ~ The Betrayal is my favorite. Jason Craft has had my undivided attention for months now and in a few more chapters of writing, I will tie up the last book of this trilogy and be forced to whisper a sad goodbye. Sigh… the tears will definitely fall on that dark day.
  1. Where can we find out more about your books?
My first trilogy, “Journey of the Damned” and the current “Blood Hunter” trilogyare available through Devine Destinies. Blurbs and excerpts can be found there as well as my website.
“Whiskey Road” will be available May1st exclusively from Trapezium eBooks.
Here are a few of my links:
Robin’s Website: www.robinbadillo.com
Robin’s Blog, “Sealed with a Kiss”: www.robinbadillo.blogspot.com
Devine Destinies: www.devinedestinies.com
Trapezium eBooks:www.trapeziumebooks.com

Whiskey Road
By: Robin Badillo
 Blurb:

Joanna Sutton owned one of the last remaining genuine saloons left in East Texas. The Whiskey Road Saloon was a legend that stood alone against the fancy nightclubs that ruled the surrounding counties with their overpriced, watered down liquor and flashy star studded themes.
She held her own, though, and the backwoods icon withstood the test of time. Now if she could have only said the same about her love life, specifically her crumbling marriage.
While she put her heart and soul into seeing to it that her late father-in-law’s dream remained true to his vision, her husband’s ambition and climb to the top of the food chain as Assistant District Attorney, left her alone more often than not.
One man, one woman, one night and only one shot to finally get it right!

11 comments:

staceyapurcell said...

I enjoyed the blog! I love to see how other writers manage all the different parts of their life and writing. It is a tricky balance we must constantly juggle. My hat is off to you- you have done extremely well since you published a short time ago! Your drive and ambition to branch out is an inspiration to us all.

Cynthia Arsuaga said...

Robin,
Nice interview. Enjoyed getting to know you a little more. You're well grounded and an inspiration. Congrats on all your releases and much success. You go girl!

Robin_Badillo said...

Thank you, Stacey! That means a lot coming from you. I so admire all that you do!
Swags, you're a doll and you and Mike are a pair of inspirations yourselves... rub his tummy for me...oh, sorry that was for your Yorkey, not Mike...LOL!
Hugs!

Avril Ashton said...

Great interview, Rob!

TessStJohn said...

Great Interview!!! And yes, life is a juggling act! Gotta keep those balls in the air!

Robin_Badillo said...

Thank you, Avril and Tess! Big hugs!!

Hales said...

Yummy look at that cover. I can't wait to ger Whisky Road! What a great interview Robin!

Robin_Badillo said...

Thanks, Hales! Just got word that it's been upgraded to an erotic...who knew? LOL!

seholden said...

Great interview, Robin. Good luck with the new short.
Scott

seholden said...

Great interview, Robin. Good luck with the new short.
Scott

Robin_Badillo said...

Thank you so much, Scott!! :-)