We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Welcome Author Chelle Cordero

AUTHOR BIOChelle has come a long way since first joining the Vanilla Heart Publishing queue of authors three years ago with her first novel, Bartlett’s Rule. Now with eight novels on the market, she has solidified her standing as a Romantic Suspense author (7 romantic suspense & 1 mystery.) She also has short stories in the VHP anthology With Arms Wide Open, Mandimam’s Press anthology Forever Friends, the VHP anthology Nature’s Gifts, VHP anthology Passionate Hearts and Mandimam Press anthology Forever Travels. She is currently working on her next murder mystery.
Bartlett's Rule was named one of Carolyn Howard-Johnson's Top Ten Reads for 2009; Final Sin was a 2009 Pushcart Nominee; and Hostage Heart, Final Sin and A Chaunce of Riches were nominated in the 2009 Preditors’ and Readers’ poll and had top-ten finishes. Chelle Cordero was recently featured as one of the authors in "50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading" published by The Author’s Show in 2010.
Chelle Cordero belongs to the VHP Authors Group and the Arts Alliance of Haverstraw Rockland Author’s Series. Along with fellow VHP authors Charmaine Gordon and Janet Lane Walters, Chelle is part of TLC: Three Local Characters With Stories To Tell, an author book discussion and workshop seminar program. She maintains an author’s blog at http://chellecordero.blogspot.com/, a promotional blog at http://cce613.xanga.com/, blogs frequently at Lindsay’s Romanticshttp://bit.ly/3rGJ7l , and offers a weekly writing workshop for Kindle Blog subscribers at http://bit.ly/pILcG.
Chelle lives in the suburbs of Rockland County, NY with her husband, Mark, of 35-years and family. They have two adult offspring. Jenni (& Jason) and Marc (& Trish); they also have three mischievous and spoiled pussycats, one of whom has taken up permanent residence on Chelle’s desk. Chelle is a full-time freelance journalist for multiple publications, her articles appear regularly throughout North America, and she writes a monthly column on NYS Emergency Medical Services issues (she is also a volunteer EMT and the current President of her local ambulance corps).
BLURB – HYPHEMA
Hyphema: Bleeding in the eye caused by trauma…
Matt Garratti, a paramedic from New York, moves his wife and son to North Carolina to work at his dream job as a flight medic. Pakistani born Sudah, his wife, receives frosty stares and insensitive comments from their new neighbors.
Before long, Matt wonders if he is pursuing his dream or bringing his family into a nightmare from which they may never wake.
EXCERPT –HYPHEMA
Matt was trying to keep himself busy. He laughed to himself at the irony of his job. Everyone wanted flight medics to be the cream of the crop and yet, when all was said and done, they spent the majority of their time on the ground and bored. He and Tony were scheduled to do a non-emergency transport later that day; up north most transports were done by air ambulances, fixed wing aircraft, but down in this area choppers were often used for the short hauls.
“Hey man, can I speak to you?” Frankie stopped Matt as he was sweeping out the hanger.
“What’s up?”
“I heard that Donna gave your wife a hard time about her being a Muslim and all. I wanted to apologize.”
Matt looked confused. “Sudah never said anything.”
“Laurie told Tony that Sudah handled it real well. Look, I just want you to know, I don’t have any problems with your wife.”
Matt could see the sincerity in his eyes. “Good to know.”
“So how did you wind up with a girl from over there anyway?”
Matt let Frankie follow him into the crew room before he answered. “Sudah enrolled in a college program in New York. I sometimes helped out with the paramedic program there. We met one day in the hallway and I knew that I loved her right away.”
“So she’s not a citizen, right?”
“Not yet.” Frankie handed Matt a cup of coffee and they sat at the table. “She’s working on it though, but it takes several years.”
Frankie took a long swallow from his coffee. “It’s just that it’s odd to see foreigners around here…”
“You know we all started out as foreigners somewhere in our families.” Matt bristled a bit.
“Hey, no offense. I just didn’t know if you guys are prepared for some of the shit that can go on down here.”
“We’ve gotten some looks. A few folks have made comments too.” Matt shrugged. “But I’ve also heard some whispers about northerners and New Yorkers, as well.”
“Well you know that all of us here at the station got your back…”
“Whose back do we have?” Tony entered the crew room.
“I was telling Matt what Laurie said.”
“She shouldn’t have gone mouthing off, I’m sure that Donna didn’t mean any harm.”
“Yeah well,” Frankie scoffed, “she shouldn’t have said anything.’
“Let it go. I don’t want it causing any problems between you and your wife.” Matt grabbed three cups and the coffee pot. “Anyone up for some swill?” Matt poured after getting chuckles and nods.
Other crews joined the chatter in the crew room. Ground crews and flight crews intermingled. The chief called a few in to his office to exchange tablets, electronic patient care report computers, which they carried on their runs. A ground crew was dispatched to a woman in labor, another to a child who fell on a playground.
That night Matt tried to get Sudah to talk about meeting his coworker’s wives, but she didn’t say anything negative. He hoped that she would feel comfortable making new friends.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:
What three words do you think describe you as a human being?   Imaginative, caring, determined
How do you think others would describe you?    Crazy, impetuous, and a terrible singer who can't tell a good joke.
Do you have any pets? If so, introduce us to them.  I have three cats, Tigger, Mario and Luigi. Tigger is really Tiger with 2 g's if you know what I mean, I call Mario "Super (sized) Mario" and Luigi goes between thinking he is a parrot who likes to sit on the shoulder or a baby who like to be cradled.
If you weren't a writer, what would you be doing with your life?  I don't know, maybe brain surgery?
What are your future goals for your writing?    To keep writing, forever. I would like to keep stretching my writing and tackling different genres.
Why do you write?   I write because I breath and it just seems to be a natural progression.
In one sentence—what do you want people to say about your writing in fifty years?   I would really like them to ask when my next book is coming out...
Can you tell us where to find more information on you? Website? Blog?   My website is http://ChelleCordero.com and my blog ishttp://ChelleCordero.blogspot.com
Is there a place where readers can reach you?   My email isChelleCordero@gmail.com and I'm on Facebook athttp://www.facebook.com/chelle.cordero
Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career?   In high school I had the opportunity to study creative writing with author and poet Daisy Alden. She was extremely encouraging and really helped her students feel confident in themselves. Later while I was in college I volunteered with the NYC Auxiliary Police where I met Henry Spallone (then Det with the NYPD, later the mayor of Yonkers). "Hank" was the community affairs officer and took me under his wing as an assistant; I learned a lot about public speaking and information gathering from him. Hank also arranged for me to cover a story about a murder victim on the subway for a local newspaper - that was the first time I ever saw my byline in print.
What is the hardest part of writing your books?     Saying good bye to my characters when I end the story.
Where do you research for your books?    Anywhere I can find my information. For Hyphema I cornered friends who were able to give me bits and pieces of research. I questioned a friend who served as a flight medic (fixed wing) while he was in the service; another friend shared info about his family background and faith (Pakistan and Islam); I relied on my kids for details about EMS calls (daughter is a paramedic and son is an EMT); and I did lots of research online and even some random people I came across.
Who are your books published with?   My novels are all with Vanilla Heart Publishing. I also have short stories in five anthologies with VHP and Mandimam Press.
How do you describe your writing style?   Basically I create my characters and work on bringing their personalities out, they I throw them into a few situations and let them work their way through them - I let my characters write their own stories.
Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?  I am frequently asked how much of the heroine is based on my own personality and story. They are also curious who I base my heroes on.
Tell us about your family.  I am amazed by my family, especially by my kids. My son and daughter are both adults, she has a husband and he has a long term girlfriend. Both of them have careers in Emergency Medical Services which I personally feel is vital to our home based national security (the ability to survive and recover from disaster is crucial to our homeland strength) and are both excellent in what they do. They both volunteer as first responders as well, my son is currently Captain of our local volunteer ambulance corps and my daughter also vollies as a fire fighter. I am not the only one who is impressed with them, they have both been honored multiple times by various county level departments. My husband is no slouch either, he has always found a way to volunteer for the betterment of our community. Is it any wonder I believe in heroes?
Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?   I don't consider my writing name to be a pen name, I use my maiden surname and a "nickname" of my birth name. I am married and proud to wear my husband's name as "Mrs. Mark E" I ran into a problem with Homeland Security (for real!). Since I go by the name of Chelle Cordero in my professional capacity, it seems that the powers that be got confused what my real name was. Imagine my surprise when I received a government letter saying I was being investigated for using an alias! Long story short, I now have my social security card, passport, driver's license and bank account in the name of Chelle Cordero hyphenated hubby's surname (I've been married since long before they allowed so many choices on the marriage license). Hey at least I can cash my checks.
If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?   I would love to write a full series of murder mysteries involving emergency service personnel. Maybe I am starting on this with Final Sin and now Hyphema.
Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?  Always write, never give up.
Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?   So long as morning doesn't start before 10:30-11am, I manage... and I can't seem to get to bed before 2-3am. I guess that means I am a night person.
What would we find under your bed?   I don't think I want to know.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?   Thank you for allowing me to take you on a journey with my stories.

1 comment:

Chelle Cordero said...

Thanks so much for this opportunity to be here today.

~Chelle
http://ChelleCordero.com