We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Welcome Author Victoria Cannon



Moderator note* This article and interview contain content of an explicit adult nature which should not be viewed by those under the age of 18 or the age of majority in your native country. 



_________________________________________________________________
            How to Write an Erotic Story
By: Victoria Cannon
This article is for readers age 18 and up!
Before the juices start dripping and the creamy cum starts flowing, there are some basic story writing elements that should be covered first… no need for condoms here, though.
The most important thing to creating a good erotic story is the story itself!  Every good story begins with a detailed setting, describes complex characters, has a tantalizing problem, shows a well developed plot with a great climax, and concludes with a satisfying ending.  The story should stand on its own, and any good writing, erotic or not, includes all of the above story elements.
Many writers find it helpful to outline the actual story before writing it.  By creating a backbone out of the story elements, the outline will help keep the writer’s thoughts focused, so the overall story flows much smoother.  Some writers even choose to write out an entire biography of all of their characters that details each character’s personality traits and background information.  Even if all the details in the biography will not be used in the actual story, it helps the author develop more realistic characters because the biography guides the writer by showing how a particular character would react to a given situation.
Once the outline is complete, the writer may then focus on bringing it to life by fleshing out the story.  Again, going back to basic writing concepts, authors should look to bring all the senses alive.  What should the reader be seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, or smelling?  Good stories don’t tell.  Good stories show.  By vividly describing what is happening using the five senses, authors are better able to successfully tackle the task of showing their story.
So what is the key difference in erotic stories versus other types of fiction?  The difference is the  purpose.  Humor makes readers laugh.  Horror makes readers cringe.  Suspense puts readers on the edge of their seats!  The purpose of an erotic story, however, is to sexually arouse the reader.  Sex scenes are not only graphically described throughout the writing, but the scenes are critical to the actual story elements as well.  Most erotic stories have happy endings too, so love lives on without any tragic deaths.  (Hey, we all cried enough for a lifetime with the Titanic or My Girl.)
Believe it or not, a thesaurus can be an author’s best tool for writing erotic stories.  One challenge authors might face (or maybe it’s just me) is that they may feel that there are only so many ways to say “His strong hands caressed the side of her face…  Her tongue slid down his smooth chest before it traced the outline of his rippled stomach…  He ran his fingers over her sopping wet pussy, spread open those pink lips and teased her engorged clit until she begged him to slam his rock hard cock deep inside her…”  A thesaurus, however, can give authors the power to bring new life into describing their story’s scenes that can stimulate almost any reader.
Writers may begin by listing any word that comes to mind that relates to romance or love.  For example, using the sentences above, that list could include the following words: strong, slid, wet, tease, beg, hard, deep…  After looking up these words in a thesaurus, writers may make a new list.  The new list might include alternative words, such as powerful, firm, glide, smoothly, soaked, tantalize, plead…  Using words from the new list, authors have opened up a new door to their erotic story telling painting enticing tales that have their readers craving more by giving themselves a larger vocabulary to explore.
Although the characters are fictional, it doesn’t hurt to treat them as real.  While writing the story, authors should think about real life issues involving sex.  Is there a romantic relationship between two people?  Is it a one-night stand or a casual encounter?  Who brought the condom?  (I once overlooked this detail and an editor added one into my story.)  Is it a sensual, incredible experience or is the first time around a little awkward…only to get better and better in time?  What is the character looking for in someone else?  What makes someone else so intriguing?  Writers should not be afraid to keep it real.  However, publishers (and readers) generally do not want to see rape, incest, bodily fluids, pedophilia, etc.           
It still takes more than a good sex scene to write a good erotic story.  Authors need to remember the same rules apply to writing erotic stories as to writing regular fiction.  Erotic stories, nevertheless, take the reader one step further by awakening their sexual desires, curiosities, and guilty pleasures.

Author Bio:  Victoria doesn’t bite, but if you “like” her she might become so excited that she won’t stop showering you with affection and may immortalize your love spell into her next story.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Victoria-Cannon/107975685955053  Her first erotic release, Child of the Fallen Angels, is available at http://darkroastpress.com/vcannon.php.  In the story, Diana struggles to find her place in life.  After discovering a new world of witchcraft through a former lover, she tries to take control of the life she feels she worked so hard to build.  Diana finds her spells working, but not quite as she planned.  She ends up using every bit of her strength to withstand adversaries which she herself has inadvertently nourished.


 AUTHOR VICTORIA CANNON


  1. Where do you hail from? I'm from N'awlins, dawlin'!!! When I first moved toBaltimore, everyone said I talked funny, y'all!  Then, when I went back home, I was told the same thing.  So, I'm guessing I have a really screwed up accent now.  What do you love most about your hometown?  I started to appreciate the history a lot more as I got older, but while I was there it was simple things I missed like running on the levees atLake Pontchartrain, the jogging track at Lafreniere Park, C C's Coffee, Danny and Clyde's po-boys, and Cafe Du Monde.   These things are always on the to-do list when I go back home.  Baltimore's crap cakes can't compete with New Orleans seafood and gumbo.  Oh, my stomach just growled! 
  2. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? I said I would be anything but a teacher.  Then, I had twins and became a teacher because it was the only career that would accommodate my daycare challenges.  How has that childhood dream affected your current career?  I'm miserable.  I guess that's why a lot of people die in my stories... 
  3. What do you do for fun?  I love to walk and exercise!  Baltimore has a lot of state parks, and I can spend all day on the trails walking through the woods by all the water.  I see a lot more deer and foxes up here.  We even found a turtle in our backyard once, but he ran away.  (Oxymoron?)  Oh!  And we just got a motorcycle!  We're having way too much fun with that!
  4. How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?  This might not be quite answering the question you are asking, but...I remember being real small and writing.  I was really frustrated in pre-k because I felt like I would never be able to tell the difference between the letters c and the k.  My mom would have to spell a lot of words for me with my initial stories and letters.  I was always writing letters... everyone who knows me has gotten an old fashioned snail mail letter from me at some point.  I wrote my first song at age eight.  There's a video somewhere..., but the point being my earliest memories involve writing somehow some way.  It was just always easier for me to express myself through a pen and paper than with verbal conversation.  Everyone in my environment will describe me as a writer, and they have always believed in it.  So, my environment has colored my writing in the sense that I have always been blessed with a lot of support from people who have always thought it was cool.    
  5. Tell us about your latest book.  It was fun to write the twists to all the wishes.  Every wish seems to be obvious, but the way each wish manifests itself takes the main character (and my hope the reader) by surprise.
    In the story Diana struggles to find her place in life.  Career opportunity knocks over and over again, love taunts her on a daily basis, but Diana cannot grasp what she really wants no matter how hard she tries.
    After discovering a new world of witchcraft through a former lover, she tries to take control of the life she feels she worked so hard to build.  Diana finds her spells working, but not quite as she planned.  The energy blesses her with what she wants, but not without balancing those great blessings with great sacrifices.  She ends up using every bit of her strength to withstand adversaries which she herself has inadvertently nourished.
  6. Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?  Dark Roast will also be releasing Tania in the near future.  It's a shorter story about a love triangle involving two brothers, but I think the story is far from over...  
  7. How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?  It is usually some word or phrase that sticks out in my mind from the story.
  8. Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work? No, I rip it from my own life.  Settings and conflicts are all inspired from what I've experienced, but with fiction writing you can make everything funnier, sexier, crazier, and the ending so much sweeter.
  9. How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?  99% fantasy, but there has to be something real about it to make the story believable.  Although once I had an editor tell me a particular character lacked emotion and soul and seemed real one dimensional.  I was quite offended as it was the one character I modeled after myself.  See what Baltimore can do to a person?  Or maybe it's the teaching career that has rendered me lifeless.      
  10. Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?  Making a story go over a ten thousand word count.  I like to write short and sweet, but most novel lengths are 40,000 - 80,000 words.  Every man I've ever dated or every employer I've ever had will tell you I have commitment issues.  Don't even ask me how I made it through graduate school.  I attended five colleges, changed undergraduate majors three times, and changed graduate programs twice.  Commitment is hard.    
  11. What advice would you give to writers just starting out?  Find your own voice.  The best writers have their own voice.  It's what makes them stand out.
  12. Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?  Nope, I suffer from writer's overload.  Thoughts are always rapidly running through my head.  I have a lot of trouble sleeping.
  13. Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?  Ordinary People by Judith Guest and "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson are the two stories that have always stuck with me despite the hundreds of books I have read over my life.  The Secret by Rhonda Bryne is something I have been practicing.  If you hear more about me in the future, it's working. I JUST FELL IN LOVE WITH JUDY MAYS!  SHE IS AWESOME!
  14. How did you deal with rejection letters?  My mind is wired different.  Rejection only fuels me to prove myself even more.  The more I'm rejected - the more I try.  I do, however, find something new to learn to improve my writing with every rejection, and it seems to be happening a lot less lately. 
  15. What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?  An overactive imagination.
  16. Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?  I'm a fan of Chelsea Lately, so if there is a line - it's really thin.
  17. Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?  All the time, but I like to take the research one step further.  If I read about a place or event, I have to visit it as well.  The most recent place I researched was the abandoned city of Centralia, PA.  We drove up there not long ago to look for some coal.
  18. Which is your favorite of the books you have written?  Child of theFallen Angels has that element of surprise.  The wishes seem so obvious and then BAM! Something happens that no one saw coming... hehe...  Sneaky, I know.  
  19. What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?  When I first moved to Baltimore, I didn't know much about the area.  A few people told me not to go jogging through a certain neighborhood because it was really bad.  I don't recommend anyone do this, but I thought people were hyping up things that weren't necessarily true... so I decided to "research" or check the neighborhood out for myself.  The first sign should have been when a guy saw me jogging down the side of the street and yelled, "What's wrong, girl?  Who you running from?"  I'm thinking to myself "Haven't you seen someone jog before?"  Then I got a fast food bag thrown at me from a second story window, a cup beamed at me from a passing car, and three girls threatened to hit me with a glass bottle.  Apparently, it was really a bad neighborhood.  Everyone always asked me, "What did you do?"  I just turned around, went back home, and got my German Shepperd.  I was able to walk through the neighborhood without problems after that, but I also decided it was in my best interest to move.
  20. Where can we find you on the net?  I'm starved for affection, so come like me!  www.facebook.com/pages/Victoria-Cannon/107975685955053  
  21. Where can we find out more about your books? http://www.darkroastpress.com/vcannon.php

2 comments:

Liz said...

Great post! I do find myself bogged down in the "rock hard shaft vs. cock" and truly do you SAY "Dick" I don't! I've been asked in interviews "how do you start one of your stories" and to be completely honest, I start with One Hot Scene every time! Whether those characters end up being the main one (typically) or the scene at the beginning, middle or end (I've done it all 3 ways) that's how all erotic fiction begins for me. When I get stuck, I sometimes find new writers to check out although frankly, some of the stuff out there now wouldn't have even made the pages of Penthouse twenty years ago! I want my fictional hot sex to have a story. Thanks again!
Liz
www.brewinpassion.com

Victoria said...

Definitely - grab their attention! Mixing things up is always good too... ~ Victoria :p