We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Welcome Author Violet Summers

1.     Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown? Sierra- From the small town of Wayne Michigan 20 east of Detroit. VJ – just a couple miles up the road from Sierra.
2.     As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? Sierra- I wanted to be in a band and travel the world selling millions of records. VJ – I wanted to be Superstar Barbie. No. Really. Stop laughing, Sierra! How has that childhood dream affected your current career? Being creative has always been in my blood. I went from writing song lyrics to books. VJ -  I’m now writing out the stories my Barbie’s used to act out. Seriously, Sierra. Cut it out.
3.     What do you do for fun?  Sierra-Music is still a large part of my life and I see has many concerts as I can. VJ – I go to concerts with Sierra – we saw Shinedown last summer and it was AMAZING! I also read as much as I can get my hands on.
4.     How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing? Sierra- 99% of what we write takes place in Michigan it’s what I know and is as beautiful and interesting a place as anywhere else. VJ – ditto that! Writing has allowed me to travel Michigan and hit all the awesome touristy places without guilt because it’s “research”.
5.     Tell us about your latest book. Sierra- Our newest book in another Scenes from Velvet Ice. VJ – And Forever Rowan, the second Night Creature just came out with Liquid Silver. We just sent in Merab book “5 ½” to our editor… We’re just about done with the latest Velvet Ice novel, like Sierra said. It’s a male/male involving Wax Play.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it? Sierra- We have so many on our plates it’s hard to keep track. The next one up is for our Queens of Merab Series _ Nuriel’s Cat. VJ - And, of course, Sierra just finished her second Alexander Wolves book, and signed a novella with Liquid Silver… The woman’s a writing machine! Lol Our BIG news, though, is that the Worthington Group books, Carrie’s Answer, Meredith’s Awakening and Daniel’s Surrender, are temporarily going out of print – Carrie already is out of print – and we just signed a contract to revise Carrie for Ellora’s Cave! The book that was published had a significant plot change from the way we originally wrote it, and now we’re getting the chance to go back and restore the original story, so it’s definitely a re-visioning of the book!
6.     How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?  VJ – ack! Which one??? Usually the titles evolve fairly organically. A lot of times something regarding the plot or one of the characters will spark a title. We do seem to have a fondness for putting character names in the title, though…
7.     Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work? Sierra- Sure read the beginning of Something to Talk About and you’ll recognize a familiar song that inspired it.
8.     How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy? Sierra- for me there is always a small part of reality tucked away within the story. A personality trait of someone I know, a conversation I’ve heard.  VJ -I once heard an author say, “you don’t think James Patterson goes around serial-killing, right?” and that’s true for me to a great extent. That said, there’s definitely an element of me in most of our characters.
9.     Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing? Sierra- If you lose your way it’s tough to get back on track that and I have so many ideas running around in my head I can’t type fast enough. VJ – besides the fact that I could never hope to write as fast as Sierra? LOL Actually, fitting in the time. I have a soul-and-time sucking day job, and sometimes it seems like an insurmountable obstacle to find time to work, write and sleep, too. Oddly, finding time to eat is never a problem…
10.  What advice would you give to writers just starting out? Sierra- read the genre you’re interested and then write, write , write. VJ – make a plan (we make timelines). I know some great authors who are “pants-ers” (they write and fly by the seat of their pants) but, especially when you’re starting out, it really helps to know what your beginning, middle and end are going to be. They might change, but having some sort of blueprint can really help power you through the rough patches.
11.  Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it? Sierra- Everyone does at one time or another you have to find a way to power through it. VJ – Oh, Lord! From September to the end of January was one giant writer’s block for me!  And it wasn’t the writing that was jamming me up; it was the drama in the rest of my life. For me, it’s only when I find some sense of peace in myself (even if it’s just a tiny bit of peace!) that I can create anything.
12.  Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life? Sierra- I have too many to name but the book that affected me the most was Swan Song by Robert MCcamon. VJ -  The book that influenced me the most as a writer – to start writing – was Taming the Beast by Lora Leigh. I’d never, EVER read sex like that, and the anal sex practically made my eyes cross! Then, when Sierra and I decided to tackle BDSM, it was Joey W. Hill’s Rough Canvas. Actually almost any of her Nature of Desire series. She helped me to see the emotional motivation behind BDSM – after reading Rough Canvas (which is m/m, though the rest are not) I said “Ah-ha! NOW I get it!” As for life in general, I don’t recall the exact title, but it was something along the lines of “I Was an Auto-Didact” by Kendall Hailey. She’s the daughter of author Elizabeth Forsyth Hailey, and it’s the story of how she decided to skip college and educate herself. I can only imagine having that much self-motivation!
13.  How did you deal with rejection letters? Sierra- I get ticked for about a day  then  move on. Letting it stew never helps further your career. VJ – once I’ve put away the sackcloth and ashes? J I really look at what the letter said. If it’s not just a form letter, there might just be a gem of validity in the editor’s opinion. Of course, sometimes they’re just full of doo-doo. lol
14.  What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers? Sierra- My imagination! VJ – a computer with a decent sized monitor and a full sized key-board. I’m currently working on a notebook, and it’s making me nuts!
15.  Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content? Sierra-We write BDSM and there are things on the darker rdge of BDSM play that give me pause but I haven’t reached the point of not being able to include anything yet. VJ – I read a BDSM story by a popular author in which the heroine was left in a cage, and she made herself vomit, and soiled herself to get her master’s attention. That crosses both an “ick” line and an “emotional abuse” line for me. I’m not a fan of humiliation.
16.  Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas? Sierra-Absolutely and that’s all I can reveal…lol  VJ – What she said!
17.  Which is your favorite of the books you have written? Sierra- Longfellow Seduced- Magnus is based on the lead singer of one of my favorite bands , I love everything about him. VJ – Daniel’s Surrender. It was the first book we completed together, and everything about writing it was a joy. And I think Daniel is one of our most complex and nicely evolved characters, if you follow him from Carrie’s Answer through the entire Worthington Trilogy.
18.  What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research? Sierra- I was had a conversation with a Bi-sexual Dom in Australia who opened my eyes to a lot of things…lol.. VJ – we went to the Sex Show here in Detroit last year. That was… interesting. lol
19.  Where can we find you on the net? www.VioletSummers.com  We also love to hear from readers violetsummers@yahoo.com
20.  Where can we find out more about your books? VioletSummers.com – Amazon - ARe- BarnesandNoble.com as well as fictionwise. And, of course, our amazing publishers: Liquid Silver, Changeling Press and Ellora’s Cave.


No comments: