We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, June 24, 2011

Welcome Author Scarlett Scott

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career?
From the time I was in Kindergarten, I wanted to be an author. Of course, back in those days, I didn’t envision writing erotica and romance! But I think that early determination is what led to becoming a published author. The dream never let go of me, and I just kept writing and trying until one day it finally happened.

What do you do for fun?
I’m a gardening nut. Give me a shovel and some plants, and I’m a happy girl. I also love researching, reading, writing, and spending time with my hubby.

How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?
I grew up on a farm, which meant I spent lots of time outside. When you aren’t as dialed into the outside world, it’s easier to be creative because you have to be.

Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
My latest release, Captain Grey’s Lady, is an erotic historical romance that’s part of theEllora’s Cave pirate-themed Ahoy! line. It’s about a sexy 18th century pirate and his long lost love. I also have a contemporary romance, Reprieve, forthcoming 7/7 and am working on a fun contemporary erotic romance as well.

How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?
Some titles, like A Mad Passion, have been inspired by quotes. Others emerge from the characters’ dialogue.

Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
I have not used any specific headlines or events, but particularly in my historical writing, I like to borrow from real life characters. For example, the pirate hero inCaptain Grey’s Lady was inspired by Blackbeard.

How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?
My work is all fantasy. I love jumping headfirst into my characters’ lives and seeing what happens.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
The most challenging thing about writing for me is finding the time to do it. Between managing a household and working another full time job, it’s difficult to find solid quality time to devote to writing. I always have a massive guilt trip riding around on my shoulders, telling me I haven’t been writing enough.

What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Know your strengths and weaknesses and always work on your weaknesses. Never stop trying to writing a novel that’s better than the last one you wrote. And never give up. It took me years to get published, but those were all years of great experience under my belt, years that made me the writer I am now.

Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
I don’t suffer from writer’s block because I always have multiple stories going at one time. That way, if I’m not in the mood to write a scene in one book, I’ll pick up the other and work on that so I’m always being productive.

Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
I don’t have a favorite author because I love too many. I’ve been influenced by everyone from Chaucer to Kat Martin. The first romance I ever read was Martin’sSweet Vengeance, and it changed my world.

How did you deal with rejection letters?
I threw them away with great relish.

What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
My iPad revolutionized the way I do research. For me, it is a must-have. And some trusty writing guide books. Obviously, you need a computer. I hate the stereotypical writer that has somehow always appeared in movies, happily plunking away on a typewriter.

Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
I draw the line at what my preferences are. If I think something is gross, you’ll never find it in one of my books. But I’m all for a writer deciding for herself what she’s comfortable with writing.

Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?
Absolutely. King Arthur has been a huge inspiration for me, and so has a fascinating group of late 19th century aristocrats known as The Souls.

Which is your favorite of the books you have written?
A Mad Passion. It is absolutely my masterpiece. I spent more time researching, writing, and revising that book than any other I’ve ever written, and I’m super proud of the result.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
I hate to say it, but my research is fairly tame. Researching historical sex has been interesting, however.

Where can we find you on the net? http://scarscoromance.blogspot.com

Where can we find out more about your books? You can find out more here:http://www.jasminejade.com/m-695-scarlett-scott.aspx or at any bookseller website, like Amazon or B&N.

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

Thanks again for allowing me to drop by! :)