We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Welcome Author Caris Roane



Where do you hail from?
            This is the first time I’ve been asked that question so I thought I’d let everyone know a little bit about me.  Our family moved A LOT when I was young, and we weren’t in any branch of the military; my parents just had itchy feet!  So basically I lived in various parts of California at various times; a small logging town called Annapolis in northern California, later the capitol, Sacramento, then the city of Ontario.  I was actually born in Pomona, and finally our family landed in the cities of Orange and Villa Park in four different houses, which meant five different schools over a period of eight years.  Of course, experiences like these, outside the norm, always influence life direction and interests. There is a certain isolation that occurs for kids when they move a lot, but that same isolation spawned a love of books…so there ya go!

What do you do for fun?
            One of my absolute favorite fun things to do is to have dinner with friends and family, especially dining out.  I mean, really, who likes to do all those dishes!  Seriously, though, breaking bread with people I love is sooo much fun for me.  Next to that, and many of you will totally get this, I adore shopping at Michael’s!

Tell us about your latest release… 
I am so excited because today, July 12th,  my novella, BRINK OF ETERNITY, releases as a $.99 e-read.  This novella is based on my series, GUARDIANS OF ASCENSION, and is actually rather long for a novella at 170 pages, or 40,000 words.  But what I wanted for my readers was a full-blown romance and because my vampire world of ascending dimensions is a complex world, well, I took my time and told a complete story.  Though I should warn your readers that it’s pretty sexy, has a fair share of violence, and my warriors talk the way war-hardened men, and women, talk. 
The story tracks vampire Militia Warrior Gideon, who is on the brink of becoming an elite Warrior of the Blood.  The Militia Warriors strive to keep the peace on Second Earth while battling death vampires whenever they can.  BRINK OF ETERNITY gives us a glimpse into the Militia Warrior world as Gideon breaks all the rules to protect his ex-girlfriend, Elise, during her rite of ascension, a process that puts her directly in the path of the enemy.  The process of ascension to Second Earth transforms her life and throws her back into Gideon’s arms and opens up a shared love with Gideon that had never before seemed possible.


Is there anything that you find particularly challenging about writing?
            How long is this blog?  *laughing*  From where I sit, writing is a huge challenge from beginning to end; from creating characters you hope readers will fall in love with, to expanding plot ideas that move from the mundane to the extraordinary, to working techniques like metaphor and simile into the story with the hope that you’ll give the reader a bigger experience, to somehow finding, miraculously and mysteriously, a way to tell the story that engages the reader.  Writing a good story is one big fat freaking challenge…but for me it’s made a reality the enjoyment of having the best job in the world!

What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
            Here are a bunch of thoughts right off the top of my head.  Learn how to build a platform: website, book videos, Twitter, Facebook, blogs and blogging, Goodreads and Shelfari and connect everything to what’s important to you.  Learn to write and keep reminding yourself that the craft is learned over time, not in a week or two.  Take online classes and/or read books on writing, then read, read, read, and write, write, write.  Join RWA or other national writers groups that have local chapters and get involved.  But perhaps most importantly, write the book you want to write, the one that fires your passion more than anything else in the world.  This is ultimately what shows up on the written page!
            And one last thought:  be generous with other writers, be kind, be generous, be open-hearted!

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?  If so, what do you do about it?
            I think writer’s block comes in many forms.  The really bad kind--as in you can’t stand the thought of sitting at a computer or even writing something out long-hand--requires a mini-vacation.  My favorite mini-vacations usually involve a trip to the movies, browsing through a bookstore, taking a drive to look at something other than pictures of hunky men on Gena Showalter’s website, enjoying a good meal out, and of course, some shopping never hurts.  Oh, and a stop at Starbucks!
            Lighter kinds of writer’s block, like not knowing what the next scene needs to be, might require a phone call to a friend for a little brainstorming.
            The lightest kind of writer’s block, like being in the middle of a scene and hitting a wall, can often be solved by a quick game of solitaire, the kind with one card at a time, not three!
           

Which is the favorite of the books you have written?
            That’s a great and very easy question to answer!  My favorite book is always the one I’m working on!  Always!  And that’s because I just really get into my books when I’m writing, from what’s bugging each character, to the BIG scenes that end up in what I call ‘spectacle’, to of course the love scenes!  *fans face* 
When I’m writing a book, I’m totally engaged and I often feel joyful and at times euphoric during the process.  When I’m in this state, this world is so alive to me, each character so real, that I can’t imagine being anywhere else or savoring or enjoying anything more than telling that tale!


You write about warriors in your books.  How did you choose this path when creating your paranormal world?
            I fell in love with Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter heroes first.  After that it was Lara Adrian, Gena Showalter, JR Ward, and they all included the same fabulous element of super hunky but life-and-war ravaged warriors.  By the time I’d read the first five books of Sherrilyn’s series, I had to write my own series, with my own group of men.  There are nine in all and yes this is definitely a brotherhood series, a sub-sub genre I absolutely adore.  It’s also been an absolute blast to bring each woman on the stage, and to have her expanding powers be the element that brings her to her warrior.  How’s that for a metaphor?  ‘Expand your powers and attract the man of your dreams.’  Maybe I’ll write a self-help book someday and that will be the title.  *more laughing* 

Where can we find out more about your books?
            You can always find me and my books at my website, carisroane.com or on Facebook.  I also try to Tweet once a day just to let my fans know what’s going on with me and what I’m working on.  Also, I enjoy hearing from fans directly at carisroane@gmail.com

            Today, I’ll be giving away three, yes I said 3, advance reading copies of the third novel in the series, WINGS OF FIRE, which will be released on August 30th.  OR, if any of the winners prefer, they can choose a signed copy of either ASCENSION or BURNING SKIES, which are books one and two of the series respectively.

            Looking forward to a great blog and great comments!  As a jumping off point, tell me what kind of paranormal being you think you would enjoy being the most:  a vampire, a faery, a shifter, or a valkyrie?
  
Caris Roane has published over fifty Regency romance novels and novellas under the pen name, Valerie King.  In 2005, Romantic Times gave her a Career Achievement award in Regency Romance.  Having had a long-time love affair with vampires, Caris tackled the paranormal genre, building a unique vampire world based on ascending dimensional earths.  The first novel of the series, Ascension, was released December 28, 2010.  Burning Skies, the second book in the series, hit the shelves in May.  And the third novel, Wings of Fire, is a September release.  Her novella based on the series, Brink of Eternity, releases July 12th as a $.99 e-read!
Caris lives in Buckeye, Arizona with her two cats, Sebastien and Gizzy.

39 comments:

romance addict said...

Good morning Caris I so love these books I am counting the days for the next book to come out. Thank you for creating such awesome characters.
Autum Arellano

Caris said...

Good morning, everyone! Well, here we go! Just to be clear, yes, we're giving away THREE books today to THREE different commenters. So, good luck, especially to those of you who can't wait to get your hands on WINGS OF FIRE!

I am super-excited that my novella, BRINK OF ETERNITY, releases as a $.99 e-read today. We're hoping that we'll be able to introduce GUARDIANS OF ASCENSION to an entirely new group of readers! Yay!

But I'm looking forward to being with all of you throughout the course of the day. I'll answer every comment until I can't keep my eyes open later tonight. As always, I love to talk about the series, so if you have questions...fire away! I'm writing Thorne's book, which is book #5, OBSIDIAN FLAME, and it's soooo much fun because he's 'the man', as the leader of the Warriors of the Blood.

Blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Autum,
Can you tell how much I LOVE my characters?!? I do, I do! And as the series progresses, each becomes more precious to me. I've reached that point where I expect to see Kerrick and Alison blur past me, maybe having a squabble as he calls out, 'Aw, babe, don't be that way..." Of course, you know that will always end in a great kiss. *fans face*

So glad to know you're enjoying the series!

Heaps of blessings,
Caris

Dara said...

Hi Caris! Just got Brink of Eternity and I can't wait to read it. Have fun blogging!

Caris said...

Dara,
Have FUN reading! When the novella first posted on the website, Heroes and Heartbreakers as a free read, one reader said that she'd just spent a solid hour 'blushing'. Just sayin'!

A ton of blessings,
Caris

Crystal said...

Hi Caris,
I am super excited about Brink of Eternity. I can't wait for more of your books! Thanks for writing for us!

Ren said...

Hi Caris. So great to meet you! ^_^
I enjoy your book, Ascension, but I love Burning Skies (see the difference here ;) ). And I'm dying when read the last part of this book! You tortured me, I want to read the next book, Wings of Fire. Can't wait to know about Antony's story.

Answer your question, I love all paranormal story and being. But who I enjoy the most is about shifter, then vampire :). For shifter, I love their animal characteristic and their protectiveness to their mate, and for vampire, I love them dark and sensual.

Caris said...

Crystal,
I DO write for you! We're a team! And I'm always looking to the future where the series is concerned. I have ten books planned for this first part of the series so that I have every hope that we get to keep exploring some of the 'upper dimensions' in this mult-dimensional world. Just a hint: there's a good chance, if I mention a fringe character, you'll get to see that character on Third Earth... I have so many surprises in store for you!

An ocean of blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Hi, Ren!
It's great to know that you LOVED BURNING SKIES! For me, the last 8 chapters of the book were soooo emotional and yes, I left you with a BIG cliffhanger to lead you to WINGS OF FIRE! That was the plan...

Blessings and more blessings,
Caris

VanessaD said...

Hi Caris!

I love your series! As soon as I started Ascension I knew I had to read the second one and of course now that I have read it I can not wait for the third!

To answer your question.. hmmm I think I'd enjoy being a shifter.

Sheba said...

hello, enjoying your series. I found your fist book last month and went to the book store for the second one. Read your brink of enternity online but had to buy it today for my on copy. looking forward to the rest of the series and turning the tide in the war to the good guys

loverofreading said...

Hello Caris,

I can't wait to read Thorne's book. I completely love your series and as I was taking to a friend this weekend, who is now completely addicted (I may never see my books again), I came to the conclusion that I can't wait to read Luken and Zach books. Luken seems like one of those big ole teddy bears who has the sweetess love. We don't hear much from Zach so he is a big mystery and I can't wait to figure him out. I can't wait for book 10 but then I can because I don't want the series to end. God I love the Warrios.

Blessing,

Sara

Author Brynna Curry said...

Welcome, Caris!

*waves a big hello to all our visitors today!*

Can't resist your question... I'd be a shifter. Maybe a panther or a dragon shifter. Can't decide, but both would be awesome.

Caris said...

Vanessa,
I'm so glad you're enjoying the series! As I've said when Tweeting about my GUARDIANS OF ASCENSION, when I write one of my warriors, I carry that man around in my heart so I have this lovely weighted sense of presence and romantic feeling. It's awesome! Which makes me hope that when you read my books, that's what you're experiencing as well.

What kind of shifter would you like to be or would it matter or would you like to be able to shift into anything you liked? I enjoy reading how various authors handle the shifting process: both Laurell K. Hamilton and Patricia Briggs give a completely different 'shifting' experience...which is what makes writing soooo much fun.

Tell everyone how much you enjoy the series!

Mountains of blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Sheba,
I'm so glad you discovered the series! Yay! It's been a huge challenge to direct the course of the war over 10 books. I'm at book #5, the mid-point, a very appropriate place for Thorne's story to be told since he carries the load! But it's amazing how this warrior then must grow and grow if the tide of war is to be turned. But I advance too far here, since the next book you'll read is Antony's book. But let me tell you there's a huge surprise in WINGS OF FIRE that also impacts the war! Can't wait for you to read what happens!

Share your enthusiasm for the series with everyone you know!

A ton of blessings in every area of your life,
Caris

Caris said...

Sara,
Isn't it great to have friends to share things with? My sister and I talk about the series all the time as well, but of course we talk 'forward', as in what would be some great things to have happen in the course of the series.

I know what you mean about the series ending. I can hardly bear the thought myself...and I'm writing it! But that's why I built such a huge world with six ascending dimensions so that we can go to Third Earth and maybe some of these characters will go with us...who knows! But I'll give you a hint...there is at least one character that I've already written about who is waiting for us on Third Earth and who plays a huge role! (I know, I'm such a tease...) I hope this helps, because I don't want you feeling sad about the series ending...in my mind, it goes on forever...

Luken's book is book #7, so that comes up pretty fast. I'll be bringing both Santiago and Zach forward very soon, so that you'll start getting a better sense of who these hunky warriors are. It's always a challenge to keep the word count of a novel down and still build so many great characters!

Thanks for sharing your love of the series with your friend!

An entire forest of blessings,
Caris

seaellare said...

Hi Caris -

Love your work, and have enjoyed all of your Ascension world!!!

I don't know what kind of paranormal being I'd rather be. My fave paranormal stories have all had vamps, but the thought of drinking blood is gross. Faeries can be quite ugly and mean underneath their glamour lol. Shifters - that seems like it'd hurt. Valkyries - maybe. I don't know much about them to say lol.

Have a wonderful day, and thanks for doing this!!!

Caris said...

Brynna,
Ooooo, a dragon shifter. See, you could fly. There's something about flight that's soooo appealing, which is why my vampires have wings! I just had to get my characters in the air!

Thanks for having me on your blogsite today! Don't we have great commenters!?!

A monumental portion of blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Seaellare,
I got such a kick out of your comments because you have just defined the situation exactly! Once you really take a hard look at all the implications of being one of these paranormal creatures, honestly, we'd all run for the hills! Some of the authors who describe 'shifting' usually add an awful lot of pain or even incapacity after the shift! Who would want that? LOL!

So glad you're enjoying my World of Ascension!

A vast boatload of blessings,
Caris

Lisa D said...

Hello Caris, I just wanted to stop by and say that I accidently stumbled on your series and I could not put them down!!! I just love the spice of Endelle. I am anxiously awaiting Wings of Fire and future books. I have a son in the military and took up reading to pass by the time and worrying until he gets home and fell in love with PNR. I do love a good pnr series that is more adult geared. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us.!!!

Caris said...

Hi, Lisa,
My thoughts are with you and your son and our military. Many prayers and every blessing upon your house, including his safe return.

Nothing makes me happier than to know that my books are helping to ease this time for you. PNR is great, isn't it? I especially love series that feature warrior-types, which of course is why I wrote my GUARDIANS OF ASCENSION series. Some authors that I've really enjoyed are: Sherrilyn Kenyon, JR Ward, Lara Adrian, Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter, and Christine Feehan. Do you read these fine women? If not, check 'em out!

Here's to accidentally stumbling on things that lighten the load!

All blessings imaginable,
Caris

romance addict said...

Ok there is something I wanted to ask will the Warriors find out the truth about Leto? will he get his mate? Just curious:o)
As for your question it is hard for me its Vampires(dark, sensual dudes) then shifters (i love how they get all alpha on their women) and I also like some demons the series Carolyn Jewel writes is great. Now if I had to pick which I would be it would be a witch i think it would be cool to have power to help stop the bad guys.

pickymeartist.com said...

Great interview! Luv Caris! and the series rocks! Oh and she has some very pretty covers * big Grin* :)

Carla said...

Hi Caris,

Sorry for the late post but I was stuck at work all day. :-( I LOVE your Guardians Of Ascension series and would love to get mey hands on an ARC of Wings of Fire. Looking forward to reading it!!
Carla Gallway
Book Monster Reviews
cjgallway21@aol.com

Tish said...

Hi Caris ~ Let's see... vampire, fae, shifter or valkyrie? Vampire if I get to ascend to Second Earth and snag me one of those hunky warriors of yours, but if not, then valkyrie! I have studied Norse mythology and find the valkyries to be amazing beings.

You know the rest; love you, love your books and can't wait for Wings of Fire! :p

Your friend,
~ Tish

Caris said...

Hey, Romance Addict!
Oooooh,Leto! The first time he showed up on my computer was before the arena battle in the locker room, shirtless and oiled up...OMG! So, that should be your first clue as to whether the warriors find out the truth about him. The other clue is that he gets his own book, which is book #6. Since I'm writing book #5 even as we speak, there's lots of Leto in it. Yay! Of course, it's very tricky because of what he's been doing for the past hundred years, but I'll work it out! I absolutely love who his woman turned out to be...but I can't tell you who it is because that would be too much of a spoiler.

And, yes, witchdom with lots of powers to do away with the bad guys would be AWESOME!

Gobs of blessings!
Caris

Caris said...

Hey,PickyMe!
Oh, yes, I have some of the best covers EVER! Especially, book #4, BORN OF ASHES, which I use for my avatar whenever I can! It's also my screensaver and I'm really thinking about having it made up into a poster! Now I wonder who did the work on that one?!? Your work ROCKS!

A gazillion blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Hi, Carla,
Work...do I hear a big, fat UGH?!? Writing is the best job ever! I'm looking forward to the live chat in October...whoo-hoo! WINGS OF FIRE will be out by then, so hopefully we'll have lots of readers anxious to talk about the series. Personally, I can't get enough! I have readers tell me their addicted...BUT so am I...that's called teamwork! LOL!

Tons of blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Tish,
I have looked into the future with Seer powers...you will receive a package in 7 to 10 days! LOL! (You know...back issues!)

Thanks for the post! Of course you would ascend to Second Earth...and I'd imagine the perfect warrior just for you! But first I'd imagine one for myself! They'd both be hotter than ****!!!

Kresley Cole does some terrific Valkyrie...have you read them?!?

A whole dimension of blessings,
Caris

Dr. NRG - Robert P. Ranger said...

Hi Caris. Congrats on your wonderful writing! It's really fun reading all these terrific comments from friends. This is such an exciting series. Is it possible to get a signed copy?

Charlene in Glendale

Dr. NRG - Robert P. Ranger said...

I didn't realize this would post under Dr. NRG. Please forgive.

I'm so excited about your success.

Charlene

Alexis Walker said...

I already have Ascension and Burning Fires, so put me in the running for Wings of Fire. LOVE these books!

Christine said...

Gosh I would LOVE to win a signed copy of this series from you Caris!.I work 3rd shift so I am ALWAYS late getting a comment on here..but here is my try..Thanks again for this awesome world of Warriors:

Caris said...

Charlene,
Great to have you on the blog! As for signed copies of my books, you can reach me at carisroane@gmail.com and we can discuss an arrangement. Since we all live in different parts of the world, postage becomes an issue! But I'm always open to working out the details.

Hope you enjoy the series!

A ton of blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Alexis,
I'm so glad you're enjoying the series! It's been such an amazing experience to write it and to live in this dimensional world. With each book, the characters grow and change, and so do the various powers. That's been a big surprise to me, especially in books #4, BORN OF ASHES, and book #5, OBSIDIAN FLAME! But you'll have to wait until January to see the direction the series takes and I'm NOT going to give anything away, but it's AWESOME!

Hope you enjoy WINGS OF FIRE!

A sandy beach of blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Christine,
Sorry you work the third shift but that shouldn't affect your chances here at all!!! And I'm so glad you're enjoying my warrior world! Isn't it a blast?!? I've been living with Thorne now for months, as I did with Kerrick, Marcus, and Gideon, and it's so wonderful to find readers who take the same delight that I experienced while writing these novels.

Hope you get your heart's desire!

A starry sky full of blessings,
Caris

Caris said...

Brynna,
I want to thank you so much for having me on your blog! Don't I have the best fans?!? I wish you every success in your writing career and with your blogsite!

A thousand blessings of the muse,
Caris

minhchieu said...

i love the ascension series! and the paranormal i want to be is a vampire!

Author Brynna Curry said...

Announcing the winners of Ms. Roane's Wings of Fire ARC.

Christine
loverofreading
LisaD

If your name is listened and you haven't heard from Caris, please contact me at brynna.curry (at) yahoo (dot) com to claim your prize.

Thanks and Congrats to the winners.

Blessings,
Brynna