We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Welcome Author Sultry Summers

Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?

Actually I was born in Welch West Virginia but my parents moved when I was three years old to Florida and my real hometown would be Safety Harbor Florida, that’s where I grew up.  I went to school, except High School which was in a nearby town called Dunedin, Fla. Our High School had a Scottish Highlander ‘theme’ and as a Scott on my mother’s side I was very much at home there.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career?

I was very heavy into science. I wrote constantly in secret and put down a number of stories that no one read. However my main drive was in science and I wanted very much to either be an astronaut or an oceanographer. I became a water treatment plant operator a/k/a environmental engineer.  I was injured on the job and because of that I now am able to write full time. I would guess that’s the silver lining. I guess my childhood gave me my imagination.

What do you do for fun?

I like to hike, garden, ride my bicycle, sew and snorkel (that’s been on the back burner since moving north) But I love to write – that’s my escape.

How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?

Writing has always been my “out” my imagination is my escape – within IT I can do anything and go anywhere, or be any person. – My parents were highly protective and a bit restrictive. As an only child I wasn’t allowed to ‘take’ many chances – however I did.  Especially after 18 when they no longer could control me. NO, I did run off join a rock ‘n roll band or go crazy, sometimes wish I had. I did get married at 18 to a sailor and he and I spent the next 16 years doing all sorts of things from scuba diving and motorcycle riding to traveling all over the U.S. Drove my parents nuts, but they got use to it. Then they started doing wild things too like motorcycle riding and long travels.

Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?  

So glad too! My latest works out is a new Series, my first! Heir Of The Dragon’s Eye – Book One is Star TyGer and Book Two is Revenge – Immortal. Star TyGer is a Prince out to stop Myng the Cruel from not only taking over his world but from getting his horrible hands on the one woman in the galaxy who has the power to stop him. Sapphire is a Chinese astronomer in the year 2125 who has Sapphire blue eyes and incredible powers. She see the space battle between Star TyGer and Myng – her powers unleash themselves in the form of powerful, glowing orbs that flow through the viewer of the space orbiting telescope and at light speed impacts Myng’s ship doing a goodly amount of damage.

 After the initial attack Sapphire becomes a hunted woman both by Myng who wants to control her powers and her body and Star TyGer who falls in love with her.  The rest of Star TyGer is the battle against Myng and the love story between Sapphire and TyGer and a sub- love story between Myng’s Chief Commander and TyGer’s sister (rather a lust story) his sister is in love with TyGer’s best friend and this makes for an interesting side romance. Revenge – Immortal – Book Two is the continuation of the story between the adults in Star TyGer and the love affairs of their children and their powers they use finally defeat Myng and the mystery of who becomes the heir of the Dragon’s Eye.

I have one book in submissions titled Submissions IN Time – Obviously a time travel about a woman CEO who has lost controlling interests of her family’s business to a company that busy other companies in trouble – Problem is, the buyout company is owned by a wealthy, handsome CEO who wants to control her and takes her back in time to do so.

How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?

Star TyGer, Book One is from a short story which was in an anthology a couple of years back with Midnight Showcase, now with Melange Books.  Most books seem to announce their names before they are finished, sometimes it almost seems psychic.

Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?

Not exactly. I do write about UFO’s in some stories. I love to write about space which is always in the news in one way or the other. I have two contemporaries out, Mistress Says Faster and two shorts in a Torrid anthology about motorcycles and their riders but neither are from headlines.

How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?

Most is fantasy or science fiction – however in the science fiction has a good dose of science in it. I read non-fiction science and help my daughter in her space studies, edit some of her papers, so I absorb those facts – and use them. After all without science fiction writers we wouldn’t have a lot of the actual ‘science’ we have. Many people don’t realize how much influence H.G.Wells had on the atomic bomb program.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?

Everything! The lives of the character, making them real and interesting, the plot , making it work. But most of all – writing the darned synopsis, writing a book is so enjoyable but that synopsis, OH!

What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

Patience, perseverance, dedication and drive then after you’ve finally gotten published – PROMOTION.

Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

We all do. I try to get out of the house and into nature – down south that wasn’t a problem – up here, in the mountains it is wonderful, except when there is two feet or more of snow on the ground but I love it here, so I deal.

Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?

I have several favorite authors, romance will always be an old author Kathleen Woodiwiss, she is kind of a base line and I was so saddened when she left us. H.G. Wells always. Michio Kaku for non-fiction. Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler for adventures and the list just grows. As for more modern romance Isabella Jordan, Kayelle Allen, Marrisa St. James is a good writer for a sweet romance, she comes up with good plots without all the heavy sex. Needless to say – I have a really eclectic spectrum of reading.

How did you deal with rejection letters?

Probably like all authors, down at first, then figure out what I didn’t do right and fix it. Or, if I feel the piece just wasn’t right for the publisher – reread it and resubmit it elsewhere after making sure there aren’t any serious plot or grammar errors in it. Try to get another author to go through it.
What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?

A good Dictionary, a good Thesaurus, several good grammar books and a good since of humor.

Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?

I really don’t like gore, it’s taken me a long time to write a murder scene. Erotic content – that’s up to the author, me, I have nothing against M/M erotic but I just can’t seem to write it. I don’t have the perspective for it. Other than that, the standards’ most publisher set are about the point I’d draw the line. I can’t see anything erotic about rape. I do sometimes think a little ‘gentle’ persuasion when the other party is really interested but ‘shy’ can be erotic.  I do write occasional BD/SM.

Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?

Most definitely! I love the old myths and get great ideas from them. We NEED new myths or new ways of seeing the old ones. I get the biggest kick out of watching the shows on the History channel about how Lucas wrote Star Wars and wove all the old classical myths into his saga. I really wonder if he intentionally did that or if, from his studies, those old classics worked their way out on their own.

Which is your favorite of the books you have written?

My favorite was only published briefly because the publisher crashed. I’m working on getting it trimmed down – it’s so long. It is a wonderful story and I hope to get it with a publisher – Atlantis Vortex. Well over 130K it is quite a story, one any publisher would love – just getting it a home isn’t easy because of the length and too, I haven’t gotten that synopsis work out – yet.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

Scuba dove on the cut stone off of West Palm Beach that were once part of Atlantis and gone to Lake Okeechobee in search of clues. Really not too strange.

Where can we find out more about your books?

MY web site at www.sqpens.com   or my blog http://wwwescapeintoromance-dareimagination.blogspot.com (please note there is no ‘.’ After the three www before escape)

2 comments:

Teresa K. said...

Thank you Sultry for sharing your life and time with us today. I really enjoyed getting to know more about your books.

You mentioned your in the mountains now. Have you moved away from Florida now?

Wishing you much success with the book. And if you need a publisher for your 130k plus words. Shoot me an email and I will give you a name. I can't read your sy fi book.

Teresa K.
tcwgrlup41(at)yahoodotcom

Nora Weston said...

Wonderful interview! :)
I must agree writing a synopsis is tricky. Star TyGer sounds great, and so does Atlantis Vortex.