We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Welcome Author Dianne Hartsock


Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?

I grew up in Mar Vista, CA. It’s part of Los Angeles so I wouldn’t consider it a ‘town’, though we lived in a friendly, safe neighborhood. My favorite part was when a group of us kids pooled our money and walked to the delicatessen several blocks from home. We had to pass the haunted house, which made every excursion an adventure!

    As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career?
I’ve wanted to be a writer since first grade, when the teacher hung a story of mine on the bulletin board for everyone to read. I loved that! I’ve been writing ever since. Currently I’m working as a floral designer. It’s another way I can express myself and actually bring home a paycheck!
  
    Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
My latest book ‘Shelton’s Promise’ is the sequel to ‘Shelton in Love’.  Though Shelton and Nevil have been together for six months, Shelton still has his moments of self-doubt and jealousy. It doesn’t help that Nevil is a flirt.
I’ve just submitted the third book of the series, ‘Shelton’s Goodbye’ to Breathless Press and am waiting to hear back from them. Keep you fingers crossed! In this story, Shelton and Nevil have been together for a year when Shelton is faced with a hard choice. That is, until Nevil takes the decision out of his hands.

    Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
I wouldn’t say that, but my stories are ‘contemporary’ so I often use the news as research.  My paranormal/suspense novel ALEX deals with a serial killer, so I was constantly researching crime scenes and how past cases were handled. Scary stuff.

    Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
Transitional scenes. I have the hardest time moving characters from point A to point B without being excruciatingly boring. My heart’s just not in it. I usually end up throwing in dialogue or some action by the characters I hadn’t planned on at first. Sometimes it changes the whole dynamic of the story, which can be a challenge in itself.
 
    How did you deal with rejection letters?
I have a pile of them in a drawer of my desk. When a letter would arrive, I despaired at how thin the envelope was. I always figured that they’d send more than one page back if the MS had been accepted. I’d open the envelope. Yep, another rejection. I’d usually be depressed for the rest of the afternoon, but by evening I’d sit at the computer and start searching for another publisher/agent. It was hard, but I never considered giving up. What else would I do with all the stories piling up?

    What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
Patience, belief in yourself and a good internet provider.

    Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
I don’t see the point of gore. Sometimes a little is more. Same for erotica. I love a love scene as well as the next reader, but there has to be passion and tenderness between the characters or the scene does nothing for me. I like to show the sensual side of love along with the interplay.
    Which is your favorite of the books you have written?
My favorite is still ‘Shelton in Love’ when we first meet our characters. I suffer along with Shelton and rejoice in his happiness at the end.
    Where can we find you on the net?

     Where can we find out more about your books?
Shelton in Love
Breathless Press, May 13, 2011 http://www.breathlesspress.org/Book/291
Shelton is falling hard for his best friend and roommate, finding Nevil’s dark good looks and moments of gentleness almost impossible to resist. But Nevil is more interested in affairs of the body than the heart. As Shelton’s desire for the man grows, he wonders if he can change Nevil’s mind. But does he even want to? Nevil might not stay, once he learns Shelton’s secret, and then his loneliness would be complete.

Shelton’s Promise
Breathless Press, July 8, 2011 http://www.breathlesspress.org/Book/345
Shelton has a gift he’s eager to give to Nevil. At a party, Nevil flirts with one man after another, keeping Shelton on his toes. Then Percy, an ex, shows up to complicate things. Despite his best efforts, Shelton can’t find the right moment to give Nevil his gift. Will Nevil ever let Shelton get close to him, or will Shelton have to keep the gift in his pocket all evening?
ALEX
Alex is twenty and confused. He always is. The world presses on him with its horrors and pain, with scintillating auras that pierce his eyes and drive the migraines deeper. He hears the cries of children, the screaming women. He sees the brutal images of the tortured victims. He feels out of control and his mind slips... Severely abused as a child, he is left with horrible scars on his body and even worse scars within his mind. Even though it puts him in danger, he’s compelled to help those who call to him. He’s driven, motivated by his visions to rescue them and uncover the killer. When he can, he helps the police; yet some detectives suspect he’s the cause of the problem, not the solution. Often, Alex finds himself alone and afraid in a world he doesn’t always comprehend.





Shelton’s Promise: Shelton has a gift he’s eager to give to Nevil. At a party, Nevil flirts with one man after another, keeping Shelton on his toes. Then Percy, an ex, shows up to complicate things. Despite his best efforts, Shelton can’t find the right moment to give Nevil his gift. Will Nevil ever let Shelton get close to him, or will Shelton have to keep the gift in his pocket all evening?

Shelton in Love: Shelton is falling hard for his best friend and roommate, finding Nevil’s dark good looks and moments of gentleness almost impossible to resist. But Nevil is more interested in affairs of the body than the heart. As Shelton’s desire for the man grows, he wonders if he can change Nevil’s mind. But does he even want to? Nevil might not stay, once he learns Shelton’s secret, and then his loneliness would be complete.

1 comment:

diannehartsock said...

Thanks for having me as your guest today! I love reading your interviews. :)