We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Welcome Author Heather Kruel

Where do you hail from? What do you love most about your hometown?

HK: I was born near the Great Lakes, but I’ve spent most of my life around Charleston, SC.  I love the rich history surrounding Charleston.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your current career?

HK: When I was little I wanted to be a whale trainer for Sea World. Since then the dream has changed, but my love for animals has always stayed the same.


What do you do for fun?

HK: I’ve been stuck on this question for fifteen minutes. How sad! I really don’t have much free time, and when I’m not writing or caring for my son I’m either reading or watching a movie to relax.


How has your environment/ upbringing colored your writing?

HK: I guess living in Charleston has inspired my writing, since many of my paranormal books are set in the area. It’s hard not to be inspired by things that you see everyday.


Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?

HK: I have two titles being released this month; Dream Lover and Epiphany.

Epiphany blurb: Everlena doesn't usually go out to clubs, but one night she decides to, on a whim. She meets Mika, a man who is as mysterious as he is delectable. Everlena doesn't know that Mika has plans for her, or that dark forces are out to get her. Mika is the Fey-King of the Unseelie Court. He's trying to find the princess of the Seelie Court, and is shocked to find her living life as a human. Even more shocking is that this human has no clue Mika’s world even exists. Mika must get Everlena to safety while convincing her that a union between her light court and his dark court is the only way to end the violence. With danger around every turn, will Everlena be able to leave her human life behind and take her place as a princess of the Seelie Court? Or will the feelings blossoming between Everlena and Mika get in the way?

More information about Epiphany can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/heatherkuehl/epiphany

Dream Lover blurb: Denna Rainerd has dreamed about Warren Connelly for the past ten years, their relationship in the dream world hot and passionate. Pity he isn't real...or is he? Warren wishes that Denna was in his real world, but a human in his world would be a liability. He's a Hunter shapeshifter; sworn to protect his world from the darkest of creatures while he's focused on revenge for the death of his brother. Their worlds collide when Warren saves Denna's life, setting up a chain of events that will change their lives forever. Will Denna be able to accept Warren's supernatural secrets?

More about Dream Lover can be found at http://eternalpress.biz/people.php?author=273


I also have two books due to come out:

At All Costs – MuseItUp Publishing December 2011
Blurb: Samantha lives in a post-apocalyptic world where she is the mortal enemy of technology that has turned on humanity. Sam’s a  technopath, a person with the ability to control all technology. She can use her powers to obliterate the tech-threat one at a time, but General Lieverman knows that Sam’s power can work both ways; not only can she kill but she can create as well. Wanting her to create a monster for their soldiers to use against the tech-threat, Lieberman hopes it will end the war. There is just one problem; the level of power Sam will have to use to create the monster for the soldiers may cost her own life. Will Sam sacrifice herself to save the world?

White Wolf – MuseItUp Publishing (Short N’ Spicy) April 2012.
Blurb: Kalia Seffmoyer is a rarity among werewolves. She's albino, a trait that is coveted by Clans worldwide. She is sent from Clan to Clan, bedding every eligible male she comes across hoping to find her Mate. Kalia doesn't expect to find love, but the second she looks into Sophia's eyes she's done for. Never has Kalia had feelings like those she has for Sophia, and a night of passion quickly leads to dire consequences. For in the supernatural world, it seems that humans aren't the only ones who discriminate.


How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?

HK: Just reading Dream Lover’s blurb will give away the inspiration for the title. As for Epiphany, the title represents Everlena’s discovery as to who she really is.


Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?

HK: Of course. I get my inspiration from headlines as well as music and people I meet.


How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?

HK: The paranormal parts are fiction, of course, but the emotions behind all of the character actions are real. The romance, the fear, the anger, all that is all real.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?

HK: Finding the time is the hardest for me. With a toddler underfoot who doesn’t understand why mommy can’t play, I have to wait until he’s asleep to get any writing done.


What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

HK: Never give up! It’s a long hard road to get published, but it’ll all be worth it in the end.


Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

HK: To me, writer’s block is when I have done something that the character doesn’t agree with. What I do is I backtrack and figure out what I’ve done wrong and I try my best to fix it. Sometimes it’s an easy fix and other times it involves rewriting the entire manuscript.


Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
HK: I am a huge fan of fantasy and paranormal fiction. My favorite books are Pearls of Lutra by Brian Jacques and Moreta Dragonlady of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. Because these are my favorites, I guess in some way they’ve influenced me. It’s hard for me to pick just one favorite author. I enjoy reading books by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Kim Harrison because I love the world that they’ve created and the kick ass characters they write about.

How did you deal with rejection letters?

HK: I sign, throw it away or delete it out of my inbox, and resubmit my story to another market. If the rejection was personal and they offered advice about the story, I consider they’re advice. After all, they’re editors for a reason and they’ve taken the time to let me know their thoughts.


What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?

HK: Something to write with, whether that is a pen and paper or a computer and printer.


Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?

HK: I think it has to do with my personal comfort level. If I’m not comfy writing it, then I don’t.


Do you ever research real events, legends, or myths to get ideas?

HK: I don’t go looking for myths and legends, but if I hear about something that interests me then I look it up and do the research.


Which is your favorite of the books you have written?

HK: My favorite book ever is Dream Lover. I love Denna and Warren and I love their story.


What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

HK: Nothing weird yet. Just the usual trips to the shooting range. Give me a year or two though. I’m sure the weirdness is right around the corner.


Where can we find you on the net?

HK: I can be found at http://www.heatherkuehl.com and http://heatherkuehl.blogspot.com. I’m also on Twitter (@heatherkuehl) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Author.Heather.Kuehl)


Where can we find out more about your books?

HK: My website has all the information about my books, but readers can also check out my author page on Eternal Press’s site and on MuseItUp’s website.

No comments: