We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Welcome Author J.K. Coi - giveaway today


Admin note* Ms. Coi will be giving away a pack of her romance trading cards to one person leaving a comment between now and Saturday September 3, 2011.  Winner will be contacted for prize delivery via email so be sure to leave your email address in your comment. This contest is open worldwide except where prohibited by law.






·         As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?
As a child, I always wanted to be a private investigator. I think it was from reading too many Nancy Drews. Then when I started reading the Flowers in the Attic books I wanted to be a ballerina. You don’t want to know what I wanted to be once I started reading Stephen King. But the key was that I was reading, and books gave me inspiration. They came alive for me and made me want to do great things, and now I want to inspire people in the same way by writing the best stories I can J
·         Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
In FALLING HARD, Gabriel is a hard-living rocker who has been through a lot. He has all of the failings that many celebrities have, including a huge ego, a selfish streak a mile wide, quick temper and a pretty serious potty mouth. But I didn’t want to “soften” him too much because: a) he’s more real that way; and b) the reader had to be able to accept him for who he is, and still believe that he deserves a chance at love and happiness just like the rest of us. Of course, that becomes difficult once it’s discovered that he carries the soul of Lucifer inside him and you realize he’s not just a “bad boy”, he’s THE bad boy!
As to upcoming books, I’ll have a holiday novella out this Christmas from Carina Press called FAR FROM BROKEN. It’s steampunk. It’s awesome. And it’s part of an anthology featuring three other fantastic novellas from authors PG Forte, Jenny Schwartz, and Stacy Gail.
And I’ve finally been able to get to work on the second book in my Warring Angels series. I can’t say too much about it, but it’s going to feature Cass from book 1.
·         Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
Would it be wrong to say that I find everything about writing challenging? I find plotting difficult. It’s one thing to have an idea but quite another to bring that idea to life and make it compelling for up to 350 pages. I find the writing and editing challenging. I find the waiting challenging, and I find the promotion challenging. I’m a pretty introverted personality, so making myself available online is much better than having to do it in person, but it can still make me nervous.  (Yes, I have issues J ) At the same time, I also find everything about writing fascinating. Every day that I continue to put those words on the page is a good day!
·         What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
It’s tough. Like, the toughest thing ever. From that first idea, to finishing the book, to struggling through rejections. If you don’t LOVE doing it, then don’t bother.
BUT…if you do love it, then ignore all that other stuff. Yes, it’s hard, but learning and rejection are part of the process. Keep writing. Keep reading too. Those are the two best things you can do to make your work better.
·         Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
Yes, unfortunately I do suffer from writer’s block. If that happens, I might take a day or so to try to get my mind off of the project. I’ll watch a couple of movies and read a book, but then I have to get right back into the manuscript and force myself to keep writing. I don’t care if the writing is crap and I’ll delete everything later, but I have to write something. That’s the only way to keep my brain turning on the problem. Eventually, I’ll figure out what was hanging me up, and then I’ll crazily go and try to fix everything.
·         What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
I think authors have to have a support system. Whether it’s a group of other authors, a spouse or friend. We need to have people who understand what we’re doing and have our back. These are the people you never have to explain why you’re not answering the phone, or why you can’t go to that party. And hopefully, these are also the people who never tell you your writing sucks, but are there to help you make it better.
I also think that writers should keep reading and take advantage of any opportunity to learn. As with any career, you can never know everything. You should always keep striving to be better. For me, I try to take a course/workshop at least twice a year, even with almost ten published books under my belt. I’m also constantly referring to my resource materials.
·         Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
I don’t draw the line. If I think it’s necessary to the story, then I’ll write it (even if it hurts….especially if it hurts). However, I don’t write gore or sex just for shock value either because that just ends up diminishing the work as a whole.
·         Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.
Thanks so much for having me as a guest today! I’m glad to answer any more questions in the comments, or just chat about books, writing tools, or the lure of bad boy rock stars J

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Growing up books never influenced what I wanted to do as an adult. I was very shy and books were my favorite form of entertainment. I enjoyed the interview and will look for your books.

lillieblue613(at)gmail(dot)com