We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, September 16, 2011

Blog Tour: Rebecca Royce

 Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?

I grew up in a small town about fifteen minutes from New York City in New Jersey. After moving all over the United States (and meeting my husband in New Orleans, Louisiana) we now live in my hometown again. 
The things I love about this place are exactly the same things I hated about it as a child. Its small. It’s safe. And very little happens or changes. As a teenager, I craved the bigger, badder world.  But now as a grown-up parent? Oh no.  Give me safe and boring.

·         As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?

What did I want to be when I grew up? That’s a hard question because I had a really, really active fantasy life.  So what I wanted to be change with the minute.  That’s actually helped my career because I can still use that imagination but now to tell those stories to others!

·         Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?

Eye Contact is the first in a series called The Conditioned. It’s a story that takes place ‘now’ but in a ‘now’ that is somewhat different than our ‘now.’ 

Thirty years ago, after the breakdown of an oil negotiation, the President of the United States decided that all people born with unusual abilities, which he would now refer to as “the condition”, would be locked away from the general public where they couldn't harm others. Parents and loved ones of these people, most of whom were children, were forced to turn them in upon penalty of death. Formed to keep the institutions secure, the Committee for the Protection of a Free Society now rules these institutions with an iron fist.



The granddaughter of one the Committee members, Addison Wade has lived her life wary of the institutions and all they represent. A woman of secrets, she is forced to turn to Safe Dawn, one of the facilities designed to hold conditioned people, when her nephew is kidnapped and, despite her best efforts, cannot be recovered. She knows the last thing anyone in 'Safe Dawn' will want to do is to help a Wade with any problems, but she is desperate and out of options.



Spencer Lewis is famous for being the premier conditioned ‘locator.’ There's no one he can't find and he has a soft spot for missing children. But, Spencer has been through a trauma and locating Jeremy Wade may be dangerous both to himself and to those around him. In addition, he takes one look at ice cold Addison Wade and wants nothing more than to knock her down a peg. Never having turned down an opportunity to help a child, he reluctantly agrees to help recover Jeremy.



In a world where nothing is as it seems and every person they encounter has his own agenda, Addison and Spencer will find that the only people they can trust are each other. But how can anyone fall in love living in a world that wants you dead just for being born?


I’ve also written the next book in the series, Embraced, although I don’t have a release date for it yet.

·         Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
I think if you take a look at this book you are going to see a lot of modern, contemporary issues embedded within this other ‘now.’ The idea of prejudice, of terrorism, of the government deciding who is good and bad. Families keeping secrets.  It’s all in there.

·         Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
For me, and I don’t know if this is true for all authors or just me, it depends on the book. I recently wrote a book where the love scenes all but destroyed me.  But, that isn’t true for all books. Sometimes the love scenes are very easy for me to write. Sometimes it’s the fight scenes or the emotional havoc.  I think, in the way that all books are different, the problems I have writing them vary as well.

·         What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
You need to write every day. I know life is busy. I have 3 kids and a million things to handle.  But if you don’t write at least a little bit every day, you aren’t going to really get a sense of what it means to be a writer, what it means to devote yourself to the book. It has to be as much of a priority as anything else.
·         Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
If I hit writers block, I do one of two things. I either stop what I’m writing and write something else. (My stories First Dimension and Return to the Sea where born of this) or I stop what I’m writing and I read a book. When I’ve done either of those things the writing comes back.

·         Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
My favorite author is Nalini Singh.  Reading her makes me want to be a better writer.  I think it was when I read Dark Prince by Christine Feehan that I knew I really had to write down the stories in my head.  I think that changed my life in a major way.

·         How did you deal with rejection letters?
That’s hard. There is nothing to do about it but to feel the burn, take a few minutes to feel it completely, and then get back to writing. 

·         What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
A really good critique partner or critique group. Do not settle for someone who seems to be either competitive with you or who begrudges you success.  Make sure your critique person or group does not have their own agenda when it comes to your writing.

·         Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
I don’t.  If the story calls for a lot of gore or erotic content, that is what it gets. I think it depends on the story’s needs. Having said that, I do watch it when I write my Young Adult series.  In there, I watch the gore and the sex in terms of my target audience’s needs.

·         What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
I know a TON about fishing policies in Upstate New York and about turn of the century architecture in the Upper West Side of New York City. I guess those were the strangest things I’ve done in terms of research.

·         Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.

7 comments:

Liz said...

great to more about you! Eye Contact sounds like a great read!
congrats!
Liz

Rebecca Royce said...

Thanks so much for having me here today!

Maureen said...

I like how you define what you wanted to be when you grew up via your fantasies and how they change. I prefer to think I'm never gonna grow up... Congrats on the book, sounds nice and politicaly...a good thing!

Jessica Subject said...

I was a child much like you growing up. I wanted to live in a bigger city and had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up, there were just too many choices. All the best!

MDOBSON said...

Thank you for hosting Rebecca today. I loved the interview.
Marissa
www.sizzlingpr.com

Carol A. Strickland said...

Hah, fishing policies! Don't I know it. Ask me about the pre-Renaissance history of wine-making. (And I don't even like wine.)

Good luck with this series! It sounds like it goes far beyond X-Men territory.

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.