We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Welcome Author Jennifer Malone Wright


A little post about the holidays.
Thank you for having me here today! I hope everyone is well. I am really getting into the fall season the last several days. Fall is my favorite season, I love the crisp air, I love the colors, and I love burning my pumpkin spice! But, alas…fall also means that the holidays are near.
Starting with Halloween, the holiday season begins. Now, I hope none of you think less of me after this post, but as I’ve grown older, I have begun to detest Halloween. When I was little I used to love Halloween. You know, back when we made our costumes and didn’t have to go pay 20 (or more) bucks for a costume.
Now that I’m a grown up, I have five kids and Halloween just means money spent and jacked up kids till January. Don’t worry, I’m not going to spend the whole blog post complaining about the holidays. I just think it sucks that as adults it’s not as magical and fun.
So, you wanna hear what I’m doing this Christmas? I’m doing something that will probably make my kids hate me.
We aren’t doing Christmas…well, we will be doing Christmas we just won’t be doing presents this year. No Santa! What we will be doing is celebrating the spirit of Christmas and the season. My children aren’t grateful for what they have. They aren’t spoiled, by any means, but they don’t take care of their things. I once took away three garbage bags full of toys and they didn’t even care.
Last year, on Christmas morning, my kids got their Santa presents and my son curled up his lip and said “I didn’t want this.” That is when I knew something had to be done.
I told the family that they can do for the kids if they want, but that we as a family are not exchanging gifts. On Christmas day we are going to go to one of the churches that do a meal for people who need it or are alone on the holiday. We will also get a bunch of gifts to take with us when we go there.
I think this is something every family should do at least once.
Knowing that you are helping someone has a way of warming the heart. My kids like that idea, but I don’t think the whole concept of not getting any presents has kicked in yet. This year we are going to concentrate on more important things than presents, and who knows, if they are good about it, maybe Santa will see that and come after Christmas with a real nice family gift.
I’m excited to see how this goes, and I feel good about the decision. Some people have looked at me like I was just doing it to be cheap or something, but I’m trying not to let it bother me. I know it’s the right thing to do.
When we lived on post, we used to open our home to any soliders who couldn’t go home or would be alone on both Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. I really miss doing something for others on the holidays and I’m hoping to teach my children to do the same.
Well, I hope that this has been interesting for you. I wanted to do a post for the holiday season and this is what has been on my mind the most.
Whatever you do for the holidays, I hope you have a wonderful time!
Thank you for having me!

2 comments:

MDOBSON said...

Great guest blog. Thank you for hosting Jennifer today.

Jennifer Wright said...

Thank you for hosting a spot on The Birth of Jaiden Tour! :)