We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Welcome author JM Powers

    Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?  
    As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career? I wanted to be a princess, but since there is not any royal blood in my family, I had to settle for just being boss of my younger siblings.  Then I wanted to be a singer/actress/ballerina. Problem was I never took voice, acting, or dance classes.
    Tell us about your latest book.  it? My latest release, Basket of Hope, is about Kara, a scullery maid who’s in love Machias. Problem is, Machias is of royal blood and she’s ... well nothing.
Encroaching evil shall have its way if a marriage filled with true love and pure magic does not take place. Machias must choose a witch, something Kara never hopes to be.
Machias’ father will do anything to ensure his son chooses wisely—lies, beatings and even an attempt to soil Kara’s innocence is not past the man.
Machias’ marriage announcement promises to burn Kara’s hope to cinders...unless something magical happens at the All Hallows Eve ball.


Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about?

My next release, Jewel of Ramstone, will be out later this year. (Updates on release date on my blog)  It’s a full-length historical romance in my favorite time period. Oh yeah, I even had dreams (more like nightmares) about medieval times as a child.

Jewel of Ramstone is about a maiden without a past, and a very shaky future. Though she has no memory, she certainly does not let that stop her from starting a new life... until her past slams into her when she least expects it.
    
    Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing? 

I think the most challenging thing about writing is stopping. I can’t seem to do that. More often than not, I begin writing after the kids go to bed and still be at it when they get up in the morning.

    What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

 Learn everything you can about the craft. Join writers groups, critique groups, and grow a thick skin. Critiques are opportunity to see your work from another view.  Just remember that and it won’t hurt so much. It gets easier, I promise. These days, I crave critiques.

    Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

 I hope I don’t jinx myself by saying this, but I’ve never experienced writer’s block. If anything, it’s the opposite. I have way too many characters begging for release onto the paper. They always escape, sometimes they don’t get along and I have to write two books at once. Hey, what are those men in white coats doing here?

   
How did you deal with rejection letters? I posted each one by my desk so I would have to look at them every day. They actually inspired me. I know. I’m not normal. 

    What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers? Time, inspiration, critique partners, and knowledge of the craft.

    Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?

 Okay, I confess. I have this movie theater in my head. What I write is what I see in my mind’s eye. Yeah, I actually close my eyes and type when I’m describing a love scene, or gory medieval battles. A little research doesn’t hurt either.  *grin* You can take that however you want.

    What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research? 

I was caught swinging my broom with both hands to see how a body would move if holding a medieval long sword. I didn’t even try to explain what I was doing.

    Don't forget to give us links to your website etc. 
Basket of hope book trailer: http://www.blazingtrailers.com/show/1671/

No comments: