We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Welcome Author Liz Crowe


    Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?  I am Southern Gal by grace of God, born in Nashville, Tennessee, raised in Southern Alabama but spent the bulk of my growing up years on South Eastern Kentucky.   We moved around a lot, so “hometown” is a relative term.  I think I consider Louisville, Ky my hometown as it is where I went to college, met my spouse, and where we return annually for Derby, homecoming and other fun events.  I love both Louisville and Nashville though for their “Southern college city” vibes, complete with vibrant music, food, beer scenes.
   
    Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?   The Tap Room is a unique book.  It’s a “choose your romance” novella where the reader will get a certain point in the story and choose one of three paths for the heroine.  Erin Brady has a complicated life as brewery owner.  Her husband has left, she’s half in love with one of her business partners, more than half in lust with her brewer, and nurtures a romantic fantasy about a far away brewery consultant.    Each of these men want her.  Which will she choose?  I couldn’t decide.  So the reader gets to!  It’s due out from Breathless Press on September 30.
    Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
NO but I use real life settings and industries, be they brewing, resort hotels, gourmet restaurants, and the like.  No fantasy lands for me.  Although I do enjoy a well-constructed one to read.
    Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?  Finding time to do it.  Or at times, dragging myself away from it to do my day job, and pay attention to the people who bear an eerie resemblance to me that are standing around me wanting things like “food” and “rides” and “clean clothes.”
    What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Get a decent editor RIGHT AWAY.  You can pay one, or find one on facebook sometimes if you are in the right circles.  But get one.  Get critiqued EARLY AND OFTEN and do not kid yourself.  You may have a great story to tell, but you will need assistance to make it perfect enough to submit.
    Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?  I have to say, not yet.  But I have a strange methodology.  I will get the kernel of an idea, and head write for about a week on it.  Then, I’ll propose it to either one of my publishers or to one of my valued CP’s and get their input.  It’s an “outline” if you will.  Then I will sit and write the damn thing until it’s done.  If it’s a short, I will crank it out in about a week.  A novel/novella, a month.  If I get stuck on a scene I simply get up and walk awa from it and come back. 
    How did you deal with rejection letters?  I cry a little, feel sorry for myself about thirty minutes, then hit the delete button on the email (I know not of this charming and old fashioned “letter” of which you speak.)   I put that MS away for a bit, work on something else, then come back to later, polish, and re-submit somewhere else.  I am lucky.  I don’t have that many rejections yet but the ones I have from the Big Boys.  I am high for rejection.

    What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?In this order:
Craft Beer while creating.
Decent Italian Red wine for editing.
Expensive Kentucky Bourbon for galleys and promotion (and reviews)
Plus a really good editor (see “advice” above)
    Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.


Get a head start on The Tap Room Brewing Passion Series with The Rookie, Jockey Box, XXXMas Ale