We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Welcome Author Viki Lyn

Thank you so much for having me as your guest blogger. For those readers who are not familiar with my work – my name is Viki Lyn and I write m/m romance. My tag line is – sexy men, conflicting desires, tender moments. I write hot but tender, wanting my heroes to have their happily ever after.

In the last three months, I’ve had three paranormal m/m romances published – two vampire and one shape shifter. Writing fantasy paranormal stories is a wonderful challenge. I love to research ancient history, myths, rituals, spiritual beliefs to create my para-fantasy worlds. For my book – Fighting Chance – I used Slavic mythology to create the Kresnik society (vampire slayers) and ritual island where Corbin had his final initiation. Currently, I’m writing a book featuring angels and I’m using Latin terms and Catholic angelology to create my settings and society.

Occasionally I will write a contemporary romance that doesn’t have strange creatures that go bump in the night! My favorite books to read are ‘straight’ m/m romances – especially best friends fall in love and murder mysteries that have strong romantic elements. For me, it’s all about the relationship when I read a book. I can forgive even bad writing if I fall in love with the characters.
So onto the questions!
1.      Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
Interesting question!  I write fight scenes and my heroes get hurt (a lot!) but I don’t focus on anything involving torture or rape. If my hero is recovering from either of these issues, it would be implied. I don’t DO gory or deep, deep suffering – it’s just not really my thing. Erotic… I hope the sex in my books are hot, but the sex scenes have to fit into the storyline. I believe first in writing a good, solid love story. As far as outlandish sex play, I tend to be more vanilla – but I’m trying to branch out!
2.      Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it? Yes I do! Quite a lot, actually. I’m not a very prolific writer – I’m lucky to publish three books a year. And these are short noves around 50K words. Usually I suffer writer’s block after I complete the final editing of a story. When I get into a writing funk I play video games on my PS3 or read A LOT. Anything to engage my mind elsewhere. I call it rejuvenation of the mind…*grin*
3.      How do you deal with rejection letters? I still get them…and I still get depressed BUT I get over it a lot quicker than when I first started writing. One thing I keep in mind is that writing is a subjective subject. One person’s best seller is another person’s most hated book! As a writer, you can’t please everyone. You’ll get the one star review along with the five stars. Even with my books that have been very well received I will get a person that rates it a one star. It hurts, like a pin prick, but I just answer it by writing another story!
4.       What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers? Laptop! Internet! Imagination! I like writing because you don’t need a lot of tools. Before I wrote, I was a mixed media artist – and you should see the art supplies I have stored in my closet. Talk about needing tools – a never ending need for supplies.
5.      As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career? My mom made me play outside a lot. When I grew up, I wanted to be a mermaid or an explorer with a time machine. I always had a vivid imagination and lived many lives in my head. Writing allows me to act on my imagination or at least write it down on paper.
6.      What’s in store for you in 2012? Besides the end of the Mayan Calendar? J I’m writing a short story for a GLBT Valentine’s anthology that should come out sometime in late January. For The Bite Of It is a m/m vampire book I co-authored with Vina Grey. This is the first book in what we hope is a three books series. We have sketched out the second plot and will begin writing the story the first of the year. I’m not sure what 2012 will bring so it’s exciting to have an open slate with unlimited possibilities!

Thanks again for having me today. I can be contacted on Facebook, Twitter and email. The best way to get all my addys is to visit my website: http://www.vikilyn.com.




1 comment:

Viki Lyn said...

Thanks for having me today. It was great fun answering your questions :) Viki