We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Blog Tour - Heaven Liegh Eldeen

Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?
I have traveled most of my life, from state to state, city to city, but Sacramento is as close to a hometown as it gets. I always seem to come back to it. It’s the only place I’ve been, that has an open, fully running, Drive-in movie theater! I love it.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?
As a child, I wanted to join the Marine Corps for a college education, move to Russia and become a history teacher. I’m obsessed with all things Russian, even track pants! I never dreamed in a million years, I would become a writer. Life didn’t happen how I planned, but I did marry a former Marine, became a mother and housewife. Writing didn’t cross my mind until two years ago, when I was challenged by a family member, to write something different from the barrage of vampire taleswe had been reading.

Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
The Demon Side centers on Rahovart, a Demon banished to Earth over five hundred years ago. For centuries, he spends his free time feeding himself on the fear he creates by scaring Quantico, Virginia locals. A master of his craft, Rahovart doesn’t think twice when a new family, the Divad’s, move into the Victorian home he dwells in.

With a workaholic father, an alcoholic step-mother and a schizophrenic eighteen year old girl, the dysfunctional family unknowingly offers the perfect arsenal for Rahovart to plan his tricks. That is until he learns their daughter; Etta can not only see and hear Demons, but is already being tormented by Alastor, an incubus. What starts as a turf war between him, Alastor and the Arch Angels, soon becomes a battle deep within Rahovart of good versus evil and more importantly love versus hate.

I am currently working on book two of The Demon Side trilogy, The Human Side, as well as another series, Vineyard House Chronicles, and three stand-alone novels.

Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
If I say yes, do I get a cool Dionk-Doink like Law and Order?  I do use some contemporary events for character backgrounds, but for the most part, I pull from my own life and life’s experiences.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
For me, the biggest challenge is punctuation and grammar. I can never seem to remember where the heck a comma or semi-colon goes. I’ve read tons of books and articles on proper grammar and punctuation, but when it comes down to putting my stories on paper, their placement escapes me.

What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Never…ever…never…ever give up! Make thesaurus.com and Google your homepages! And remember, the scales of success can only be measured by what you put in it.

Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
Writer’s block; my arch nemesis! Fortunately, for me, I never go into battle without my IPod on full blast, locking myself in my head and the music.

Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
I have so many! I read mostly true crime novels, but dabble in a few other genres as well. If I narrowed the list down, I would have to say my favorites are, Ann Rule, Harold Schechter, Katie Harper, Benjamin Russell, Tina Folsom, Ciar Cullen, Richelle Mead and Kelley Armstrong. I can go on and on, but I doubt you want me taking up that much time.

How did you deal with rejection letters?
I completely ignore them. There is a ton of reasons publishing houses will reject a body of work and they never tell you exactly why. So why waste your time worrying about it. Move on to the next publishing company on the list and keep going. Every rejection letter is one step closer to an acceptance letter.

What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
The tools I cannot live without is definitely Google and the library. Between those two you are bound to find the answers you need. Heck, I go to the library so much, I’m thinking about having my mail forwarded to it when I go on vacation.

Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
When writing, I ask myself constantly, if I would be okay with a teenager walking by my book, picking it up, and scanning through it. If the answer is no, I revise, revise, revise. Though I don’t write for one audience, such as YA, I sleep better at night knowing, that I haven’t corrupted a spongy mind. I believe there are so many ways to set a scene without necessarily having to dive into all the explicit details. Give your reader enough to set the scene and allow them to add the details in their mind.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
For the final battle scene in The Demon Side, I wrestled my husband to see if the scenes I wrote, worked. Now that doesn’t seem weird until you find out we did it with cardboard shields, paper swords and brooms, duct taped to my back to simulate an Arch Angels wing span. Oh yeah, we got all into it.

Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.
I have so many links. I’m an internet junkie! Wrap the mouse cord around my arm and click for a vein!

Blurb:  Every kid has problems. Every kid has even more problems when they move to a new home. But when a kid with problems moves to a new home that has a Demon living inside it—look out!
Etta’s world is about to spin out of control when she encounters her new roommate—and Rahovart, that ancient trickster, is in for a few surprises too. So don’t mind all the crashing and rumbling; that’s just the normal noise Angels and Demons make when they’re fighting an epic war in the attic.
One thing’s for sure: Etta and Rahovart will have to go through Hell to Heaven and back again before that old Victorian home in Quantico Town finally quiets down…

Bio:  Heaven started her writing career two years ago after being challenged by a relative to write something different than the barrage of vampire novels on the market. With her ‘Oh, Yes I can!’ attitude, determination and support from her family, she completed her first novel The Demon Side, releasing this October. When she’s not kissing owies, climbing Mount Dishmore, or obsessing over her Facebook book page, you can find her at the computer revising or editing one of her five works in progress.  Having lived in many states, she has now settled down in California with her husband, her son and a beta fish named Barry.


4 comments:

MDOBSON said...

Thank you for hosting Heaven Liegh Eldeen today. I hope everyone enjoys her post.

Katie Harper said...

Oh my goodness! Can you video the the fight scenes and send them to me? That has to be LMAO funny.

GREAT INTERVIEW!!

Heaven Liegh said...

Thank you so much for having me on today! It was a blast and a pleasure! Hope to be back soon!

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi. New follower here. My buddy, Heaven Liegh, told me to come by. Very cool post.
She promised that she had done some odd things in the name of research, and she didn't disappoint.
Thanks for sharing.

-Jimmy