We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, November 4, 2011

Interview with Brita Addams


Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?
Brita: Well, I come from a small town in Upstate New York called New Lebanon. It's claim to fame is that it's the birthplace of failed presidential candidate, Samuel J. Tilden (the guy who lost the election against Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876.)
I live in the south, in a small town with a main street, a town square and the nicest people I know. In many ways, the two places are quite similar, yet worlds apart.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?
Brita: I wanted to be a flight attendant or a stewardess as they were called then. Before that I wanted to be a nurse, and sadly, didn't have to courage to pursue either one. To be a writer has reinforced in me the feeling that you can work hard and be what you want to be, though I've got a long way to go to become the author I really want to be. The skill set is always evolving and I love that almost as much as the writing itself.
Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
My latest works are really a series of erotica vignettes or shorts for Riptide, all taking place at the fictional Romeo Club. The first is called Romeo Club 1: Surprises and in it, Don goes to a dating service and when he leaves, he knows more about himself and his needs than he ever thought possible. It's an erotic tale full of, well, surprises.
I also have two novellas, An Evening at the Starlight and A Minute After Midnight, both for the Timeless Desire Blog Tour for Noble.
Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
Brita: No, I never have. I write mostly historicals, though I have ventured into contemporary of late. I'm not a publically political person, so I'd never include my personal leanings in my work and there are enough fictional things floating around in my head to keep me busy for a very long time.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
Brita: It's all a challenge. It isn't simply putting words down – there's a craft to it that can be frustrating to be sure. I rather enjoy books with lots of description and narration and that has gone out of fashion, so I have to constantly be aware of showing and not telling. I've conquered the head hopping issues pretty well, but there's always something else to think about. Keeps a writer thinking all the time.
What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Brita: Study and read. Do whatever you do well or don't do it at all. Listen to those who've gone before you and always strive for the best. That will insure you get something that's pretty darn good.
Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
Brita: No, I don't suffer from writer's block and never have. I suffer more from not having enough hours in the day to do what I want to do.
Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
Brita: I'm saying this just because he owns Riptide, but Aleks Voinov is hands down my favorite author. He writes real people in a way that no one else does. The characters stay with you and live in your soul. It's a rare quality that Aleks has to bring a character to life the way he does, but that is his genius.
To influence someone's life, I think, for me, that influence has to be something other than a fiction. Influence is a pretty profound thing. People have had tremendous impacts on my life, but I can't say a book has become that much a part of me. That takes a lot.
How did you deal with rejection letters?
Brita: I always look at rejection as being one step closer to acceptance. It's a part of life.
What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
Brita: For me – quiet, my laptop and my puppy Fiona. I have time, a luxury for most and a husband who cooks and grocery shops and encourages the long hours I spend at the computer. He is my number one must.
Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
Brita: I don't write gore nor do I read it. I really have a phobia about knives, can't deal. Erotic – there is no line. If it fits, it's all fine with me. If it's gratuitous, it shows right away, but as a writer, I write what I feel is called for. As a reader, if it gets to be too much for the situation, I skip over it.
What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
Brita: Umm, well, let's just say I fried a computer while researching certain acts of sex. I needed some logistical facts and well, yeah, that's how I got my new laptop.
Don't forget to give us links to your website etc. –
Website/blog: http://www.britaaddams.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BritaAddams
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com

7 comments:

Bookishly Awesome said...

Lol. That's how you got your new laptop? Awesome.
Loved your advice for writers.

sabrinayala at gmail dot com

Sarah said...

That's one way to get a new laptop... I dropped a vase on mine

Sarah S

Sarahs7836(at)gmail(dot)com

booklover0226 said...

I enjoyed the interview; it was a great read.

Now, pardon me will I go fry a computer!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

joder said...

Great interview! I too thought it would be cool to be a stewardess. Getting to travel all over and meet all sorts of exciting people sounds amazing and just think of all the research you'd get.

Thanks for being here.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Bookwyrm369 said...

Great post! I'm looking forward to reading Surprises :-)

smaccall AT comcast.net

Adara said...

LOL on frying the laptop. =)

adara adaraohare com

-Maria- said...

Great interview. I love Romeo Club.

mariaml254 at yahoo dot com