We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Interview with Bryl Tyne

Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown? I grew up in a small town halfway between Devil's Tower and The Black Hills. I think what I like best about my hometown is that everybody knows everybody. Unfortunately, that's what I hate most about it also. Sad.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career? I never did know what I wanted to be as a child… Of course, I had dreams, aspirations, such as "superhero" or "G.I. Joe," but nothing remotely serious until I decided to return to school 28 years after dropping out. Three quarters through my final semester toward my degree, and I have a *Shazam!* moment and realize I'm a writer. Always had been, just never applied myself. I think if nothing else, my childhood fantasies have aided my writing.

Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it? I have a paranormal story out with Noble Romance called IMMORTAL, which will also be published in print in the Timeless Desire Collection. My latest book with Riptide is a paranormal funny short called DIVINITY, where Martin, a vampire/night security guard struggles with his recent addictions to both orange lollipops, and the new janitor, Dylan, who's got him hooked. I'm currently working on a psychological horror collection for Riptide called ANGUISH. The first story is underway. It's titled DEVOUR, and there are two others planned.

Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work? Yes. I have used police reports and crime stories to form backgrounds for some of my lesser characters or antagonists' backstory.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing? Yes. Third person POV. It's aggravating to know I can write so in depth in First person that I get emails proclaiming how amazing my writing is because I touched them so deeply with this character or that one, and yet I cannot take those same instances, for example, and transform them to third person and get that same depth. Maddening.

What advice would you give to writers just starting out? Don't worry about being published. It changes nothing other than you have to work harder and learn how to do it faster. Worry about perfecting your craft, finding the audience you're comfortable writing for, and then writing and writing and more writing.

How did you deal with rejection letters? I've been through this so many times, I've got the pattern of my reaction memorized. It goes something like this: 1. I stare at the rejection letter in disbelief, for how could anyone possibly not accept one of my stories; 2. I curse in at least three different languages while I search for my submission to see for myself just WTF was wrong with my story. And 3. I read my submission and realize before I get finished with page one …. "This story really sucks! What the hell was I thinking by submitting such tripe?" and immediately I start dwelling/researching on how to make it better.

What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers? 1. Patience; 2. Brains (always a good thing); 3. A dictionary and thesaurus, but mostly a dictionary; and 4. The spirit of the Dragon Warrior, Po, from Kung Fu Panda. Without these, you won't make it for the long haul.

Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content? I don't. While I can get queasy at too much gore, I write for the story. If the gore fits, then it goes in. Erotic content? I'm not sure I'd censure much except the typical taboos of most publishers.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research? Caught grasshoppers, skewered them on a coat hanger, and roasted them. (Yes, they taste like chicken. Doesn't everything?)

Here is the blurb and buy link for my latest release, Divinity at Riptide Publishing:
Martin Hayes has found the perfect job for a 200-year-old vampire. As the late-shift security guard for Spire, he works and hunts by night and sleeps by day, hidden away in the unused cellar. Life is all so easy—nights bleeding away, weeks and months passing . . . until a new janitor disturbs the peace. Martin finds himself obsessed with memories (or are they?) of red hair, freckled skin, and men on their knees.
Dylan Mesmer isn’t just a hot, freckled, red-haired janitor. He’s altogether too composed around Martin and never surprised by Martin’s supernatural abilities. In fact, he seems to have a few of his own. And why does he keep feeding Martin orange lollipops?
A healthy vampire has no use for candy, yet Martin cannot resist the lure. He’s being baited and knows it, but for what end? And what about those visions that assail him whenever he thinks of Dylan? Their story is centuries old, but this time around, Dylan’s playing for nothing less than immortality. Eternal life—and eternal love—is within his reach, but can he convince Martin to change his ways and commit? If not, he’ll remain trapped in time beside his lover, always together but forever apart.
 Feel free to purchase the story at Riptide Publishing: http://www.riptidepublishing.com/titles/divinity

Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.
Website URL: http://bryltyne.com
My Way column at The Pagan and The Pen:













11 comments:

Amara Devonte said...

Hi Bryl. :) Great interview.

Um...I'm sorry but no, not everything tastes like chicken. I'll take your word on the grasshoppers thou, I'm not into testing the theory. *shudders*

jayhjay said...

I'm looking forward to reading divinity. Great interview!

booklover0226 said...

I enjoyed the interview; it was great, though I'll pass on the grasshoppers! LOL

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

joder said...

Great interview. I too grew up in a small town in Nebraska and totally agree with you on both counts about best and worst things. Looking forward to the new book.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Bookwyrm369 said...

Great interview! Had to laugh at channeling Po :-) And yeah, not sure you could pay me enough to eat grasshoppers!

smaccall AT comcast.net

Loveless3173 said...

Divinity sounds like a fun read. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Great Interview and congrats on your new release!
oh! I'm looking forward to your future works too! Can hardly wait~

Judi
arella3173_loveless@yahoo.com

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by. Glad you find my interview entertaining. Grasshoppers aren't really all that bad, really! But you'd have to have a kettle full to be satisfied. And, Bookwyrm, yes, channeling "belief" in oneself is extremely important in this field--hence, Po is my hero!

Sarah said...

Shudders grasshoppers Ekkk your braver than me I couldn't have done it

Sarah S

Sarahs7836(at)gmail(dot)com

Adara said...

Sorry I'm a day late. (Blame work - I was on the road.) I'm really curious to know what languages you know how to curse in. ;)

adara adaraohare com

Bryl R. Tyne said...

@Sarah Not bravery, dear, Tequilla.


@Adara English (of course, my 4-letter word vocab is top notch), Spanish (thank you, Rosalia), and some German (I owe that one to my mother).

-Maria- said...

Many days later ^_^UU I haven't enought time to do all I want.