We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Interview with Kari Gregg

*Admin Note - Riptide Publishing along with the author is generously offering a copy of any title from Kari Gregg's backlist to one lucky commentor. To be entered into the drawing, you must leave an email address with your comment.


Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?
I was born a Yankee in Ohio, but moved to rural, isolated West Virginia when I was still fairly young. We moved from house to house every year or two. The PC folks nowadays call that transient poor, LOL. So I don't have any one hometown. I have a home county. What I love about it? Nobody there knows or cares that I'm respectable where I live now. My last name is still Gregg and Greggs do all kinds of wonderful crazy things -- stunts I'd never get away with where I live now.
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?
I wanted to be a band teacher first. I played clarinet and trumpet, but didn't make the transition to piano and strings well. Then, I went heavy on the sciences and maths so I could go into forensics (back when profiling was in its infancy -- I wanted to go into blood spatter, FWIW), but physics was a big hell no. Has it affected my writing? No, not at all. LOL
Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
I actually have two titles releasing this fall. I, Omega is a M/M BDSM paranormal (shifter) novel that released in September at Loose Id and Collared is a M/M D/s Dystopian AU that will release with Riptide November 28th. BDSM is such a fun, kinky-ful playland. While I, Omega focuses on the animal nature of shifters, Collared provides a unique story world in which genetically engineered crops have mutated and propagated in the wild. That's causing a biological shift that affects the center of aggression, stimulating most, but Connor Witt is an anomaly. Everyone else is getting bigger and badder, but Connor's aggressive and dominant traits have been repressed. When security consultant Emmett corners him, Connor's boss, David, collars him to warn Emmett away. Emmett won't let Connor go, though, and even with David acting as his reluctant guardian, Connor can't stop the yearning. One man offers safety; the other is the safer bet. Who will Connor choose? And with Congress in special session to legislate the legal status of anomalies, does he have the right to choose anymore?
Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
The idea for Collared struck when I met an old high school buddy who really should've stopped hitting the bong a decade ago, minimum. Used to be a brilliant guy, but these days, he swears that the government is controlling us sheeple through genetically altered crops and hormones in our meat. Sure, buddy, whatever you sa--wait! Turned out to be a fabulous idea for a book so thank you, Jack, you know who you are and you know I love you best. ;-p
Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
TIME. I work a part-time day job, but I'm pretty active in outreaches in our community too. Worse, I tend to work on a couple-few books at once. So, like this fall (and last fall too, for that matter), I'll go epochs between releases and then you get a 2-3 at once. It's feast or famine with me.
What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Don't quit. Keep writing. Keep learning and growing in your craft.
Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
Writers block? Uh...no. Writer-distracted-by-the-shiny? Oh yes. But blocked, no. That's a benefit of working on manuscripts in tandem, though. If I start lagging in one book, I just swap it out with the other and bam, I'm back in the game.
Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
Josh Lanyon is, hand's down, my favorite m/m writer. It's his voice. Josh can give you just a few stingy details that paint the picture (setting, character, action) with an economy of words. How he draws his worlds -- and his readers into those worlds -- Wow. Magic.
As trite as it sounds, the book that most influenced my life is the Bible. In fiction...Stephen King's The Stand. I re-read it every cold and flu season. ;D A masterful apocalypse story. I've been dreaming up apocalypses ever since, LMAO.
How did you deal with rejection letters?
I filed them and submitted to the next agent/editor on my list. Rejection letters never really bothered me. Oh, I had one for Spoils of War that strongly recommended I seek therapy, LOL, so yeah that one did give me pause and a bit of a snort. But otherwise, no, I was never one to linger and bemoan.
What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
A laptop, a reliable internet connection, common sense and a great deal of stubborn.
Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
I'm supposed to draw a line?
LOLOL
This winter, I'll work on a M/M post-Zombie-apocalypse book so the gore question is appropos. Where to draw the line? If what I write makes my reader's stomach heave? Not good. As for erotic content, there is no such thing as going too far. I get inside my POV character's head and you feel what he feels, from the heat of the sheets pressing into his spine to the wonderful spinning in his head when his lover touches him...I write kink. If the characters and the world call for it, I write elements of extreme kink. If I cross lines, I have excellent editors who are more than ready to yank me back (and don't think they haven't, lol).
What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
Hm. Weird? Well, I went to the gun range with a friend to learn how to shoot, clean and load an assortment of guns for my slightly nutty gun enthusiast and forensic accountant for In the Red. Turns out I'm not a bad shot with a 10/22 tactical rifle. LOL

Here's the blurb for Collared, as well as the buy link:
Trans-Global IT director Connor Witt is a rare and prized anomaly: the aggression centers in his brain have been suppressed rather than stimulated by the mutated crops that so recently took over the world’s food supply. Bewildered by his physical changes and terrified of a world growing more and more predatory, Connor risks harassment and worse until Trans-Global CEO David Martin collars Connor to protect him against men like security consultant Emmett Drake. Men who stalk Connor as sweet, sexy prey. Men to whom the newly submissive Connor feels irresistibly drawn.
But David can’t be Connor’s master; David’s straight. He promises to find a worthy man, though. One willing to court and appreciate Connor as more than just some rich man’s toy.
While the world adapts to the biological disaster and new laws strip away Connor’s rights, David’s resolve to protect his boy slowly grows into something more. But can his new desires keep pace with Emmett’s determination to claim Connor?
One man offers safety; the other is a safer bet. Problem is, Connor’s never sure which is which. The one thing he does know? He wants them both.
Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.
If you would like to catch up with Kari, caffeinate yourself and head on over to http://www.KariGregg.com
Friend Kari on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Kari.M.Gregg
Follow Kari on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/karigregg
Find Kari at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4366316.Kari_Gregg


10 comments:

emmettmke said...

Oh! Can't wait for the zombies! :)

emmettmke@yahoo.com

jayhjay said...

I am so looking forward to reading this!

Bookishly Awesome said...

Waiting for Collared. I think the zombies will be awesome.

sabrinayala at gmail dot com

booklover0226 said...

I enjoyed the interview; it was a great read.

Collared has been added to my must have list.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Kari said...

Thanks for stopping by, guys! The zombies are going to unbelievable. ;-D

Bookwyrm369 said...

Great interview! Love your attitude on rejection letters and can't wait to read Collared :-)

smaccall AT comcast.net

dfg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-Maria- said...

Great interview.
I'm looking forward to reading Collared.
Zombies scare me :(

joder said...

I LOVE the sound of the latest book and definitely have it on my wishlist. It has lots of elements that are favorites of mine.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Sarah said...

Great interview... Looking forward to collard it piqued my interest... Love the cover

I agree Kari Josh Lanyon is a fantastic author I've read about half his books and glad I still have some left for next year now he's taking a sabbatical

Sarah S

Sarahs7836(at)gmail(dot)com