We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Welcome Author Karyn Gerrard



Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?
I am Canadian, born and raised in the Maritime Provinces on the east coast; it is where I like to set some of my stories. I guess I love living so close to the ocean. I am living in central Canada at the moment, but first chance I get, I am moving back east.
Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
Black Lust is what I like to call a paranormal erotic romance. I love paranormal. What a thrill to be able to create my own mythology and strong secondary characters as well. I have two sequels written already to Black Lust, just have to get them edited and submitted!
Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
Yes, the mechanics of writing, I seem to have a mental block when it comes to mixing my tenses and commas, fortunately the mechanics is fixable. I find it frustrating to struggle with grammar; it is like going back to school all over again. Thankfully, plotting comes easy. *whew*
What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Sit down and write, focus on reaching the end, don't go back and rewrite the same chapter over and over or you will never finish. Save the editing for after you type 'the end'. Never give up. Don't be afraid to submit your manuscript anywhere, you never know what an editor is looking for. It could be your story they have been waiting for. Social network but don't let it overtake your life or squeeze out your writing or other pursuits.
Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?
Is it a bit of a cop out to say I have been influenced by every romance writer I have ever read? I will name a few, I love historicals, so Anna Campbell, Mary Balogh, Elizabeth Hoyt, Lisa Kleypas are a few that stand out in my mind. The deeply felt emotion, the conflicts, tortured heroes and the sizzling romance are what bring me back to these authors again and again. I would say any books by these authors have influenced me. If I can attain even a fraction of the emotion in my own writing that these ladies can, I would be content.
How did you deal with rejection letters?
I have a couple. (So far) I learned from them and moved on. The handwritten letter I got four years ago from a print publisher was polite, they liked the story, but it didn't fit their guidelines and it really didn't. The second one didn't fit the publisher either, so it is important to research just what kind of books the publisher is putting out there and to read the guidelines carefully. I also learned not to take it personally. Thankfully both rejections did not claim I sucked, so that helped me to move ahead and not look back.
Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
Good question! Since I have just written a few paranormals, the gore content is not over the top, not sure I could go full bore gore. As for erotic content, I think of myself as a hot sensual romance author, or erotic romance, not erotica. The lines are very blurry. I know ménage and M/M are popular to name a couple of erotica subgenres; I even touch on it in my two sequels very briefly. However I don't think I can sustain it for a whole story. I like reading them, but it's not what I want to focus on as a romance writer.
Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.
www.karyngerrard.com
FACEBOOK:  https://www.facebook.com/karyn.gerrard
Blurb:  Lucius Black lives a debauched and wild nightlife. Being a ‘Quarter’ (1/4 vampire), blood and sex are what he is. However, his existence wears thin after a century of hedonistic pleasure.

Trevina Patterson lives a quiet, happy life running a hair salon in a village on the east coast of the United Kingdom. It was a perfect life and all she could ask for, until a chance encounter with Lucius Black.
What was it about him that was so unsettling and yet so attractive?

For Lucius, no woman had ever been enough, until Trevina. She awakened in him feelings he had not thought possible. Passions considered by him to be little more than vampiric mythology. She awakened his...black lust.

Bio:  Living in a small town in a corner of Ontario, Canada, I wile away my spare time writing, reviewing and reading romance. As long as I can avoid being hit by a runaway moose here in this wilderness paradise, I assume everything is golden. Originally from the east coast of Canada, I love to set my stories in the Maritime Provinces~
Happily married for a long time to my own hero, a teacher that braves everything that is thrown at him. His encouragement keeps me moving forward.

No comments: