We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Welcome Author Katherine Grey

1.)    Tell us about your books.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
“Impetuous” is my debut novel and was released from The Wild Rose Press on August 26th. It takes place in 1820’s London. An impoverished Spanish Count comes to London searching for a family heirloom and thirsting for revenge, but finds himself captivated by the daughter of the man he has sworn to destroy.

I recently signed a contract for a novella entitled “The Muse.” It’s the story of Blaine Hobson, a secondary character in “Impetuous,” who is a noted poet of the day but longs to join his beloved in the grave.

2.)    Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
My current WIP has a character that suffers from PTSD and I’ve used quite a few news stories as reference and for kernels of ideas here and there.

Though I mainly write historical romance, I do have a contemporary story I’d like to write soon so I have a folder of notes that does have a few newspaper articles in it pertaining to that particular story idea. 

3.)    Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
I have a hard time with the first revision of a manuscript.  I’ve learned that I need to do it in steps.  First I read it through and look for holes in the plot, dangling subplots that start and go nowhere or characters I’ve mentioned but never mentioned again and for characters acting out of character.  Then I go through it looking at the dialog, tags, “ing” words etc.  I consider this my first revision.  Most times during that first revision, I worry I’ve revised scenes too much leaving them lifeless so I usually let it set a few days and then go back and reread the manuscript and make any additional changes if necessary.

Of course, I find writing a synopsis unbelievably difficult.

4.)    What advice would you give writers just starting out?
Learn as much as you can.  Read in the genre you’d like to write.  Read “How to” books to learn how to handle point of view, description, back story, narrative vs. dialog, etc.  Find a critique partner that you can trust to give you honest, constructive criticism.  And most of all, write whenever you can. 

5.)    Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?  If so, what do you do about it?
I do on occasion but I make myself write anyway.  I usually will try to rewrite a scene that’s giving me trouble from another character’s point of view to see if that will get things flowing again.  If that doesn’t work, I just write anything that comes to mind regarding the scene no matter how outlandish.  Sometimes I get nothing but drivel, but other times I get something great.



6.)    Who is your favorite author and why?  What books have most influenced your life?
This is a hard question to answer.  I have so many favorite authors to pick one is hard.  I guess it’s a tie between Lisa Kleypas and Janet Evanovich.  As for books that have most influenced me, the first one that comes to mind is “Dreaming Of You” by Lisa Kleypas.  That book just spoke to me and it’s what made me realize that I wanted to write stories that touched people, that it was time to stop wasting time and to start writing the stories of my heart. As I child, I was very influenced by both Dr. Suess and Shel Silverstein.  I loved their nonsensical rhymes that also told stories.  I still have copies of both authors’ works on my bookshelves.

7.)    How did you deal with rejection letters?
If it was a form rejection, I just filed it in the folder I’d set up for that manuscript, updated my spreadsheet that I’d received a rejection letter and moved on.  If it was an actual rejection letter with advice or reasons why the agent didn’t like it, I gave myself a couple of days to think about what was said, then made revisions or not, depending on the comments made.  After that, I’d file it, update the spreadsheet, and move on.  I’ve always held the belief that a rejection letter is only one person’s opinion on any given day. 

8.)    What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever done in the name of research?
I shimmied out our 2nd floor bathroom window that was just wide enough for me to fit through if I went out head or feet first onto the 3 foot wide roof over our back porch, slipped over the edge and hung by my hands until I gathered the courage to let go and drop to the ground.  And it did take me a few minutes to do that.  While I was hanging there I started to have second thoughts about the whole idea and how I would explain it to emergency personnel if I was hurt but it was a little late to think about that stuff by then.  Thankfully, I landed well.  I wanted to know if it could be done without injury.  I guess it’s a good thing it can be.  :o)


You can learn more about Katherine at her blog and on Facebook.

Blurb:
Impetuous by Katherine Grey
Mateo de Montayas, an impoverished Spanish count, comes to England to recover a stolen family heirloom and to satisfy his hunger for revenge against the man who destroyed his family. Arriving in London, he learns his hated enemy died three years before but has left behind a daughter. What better way to retrieve the heirloom and exact revenge than to use her to his advantage?
Teresa Darlington will do anything to keep scandal away from her frail mother and prove her father wasn't a thief, even risk her reputation in a race to find the missing heirloom before the Count does. But she didn't count on falling in love with the man determined to ruin her family. Can she find the heirloom before he does and protect her family, or will her heart lead her in a different direction?

You can purchase a copy at any of the following links:



She shrugged out of his jacket and held it out to
him. “Thank you.” She hesitated for a moment. “I
fear I don’t know how to address a count.”

“Address?” he asked, puzzlement showing in his
gaze.

“Yes, should I call you My Lord, or Sir, or
Count?”

He took the frock coat, his fingers lingering over
hers. “In my country, I would be called Senor
Conde.”

“Very well...Senor Conde.

He gazed at her for a long moment. “May I visit
you in a few days? I’m afraid my time is not my own
until then.”

Teresa glanced away. In all the time she and
Mama had resided at Perth House, she’d had no
male callers. Of course her friend, Blaine Hobson,
visited her on occasion. But while being a man, he
roused no feelings other than sisterly affection. She
took a deep breath and responded. “I will look
forward to it.”

“And so shall I. Good evening, mi poco paloma,”
he whispered, brushing his lips across the back of
her hand.

Mateo tried to gauge her reaction. Had she
recognized him from their previous encounter?
Surely not. He had taken such pains to lighten his
skin, wipe away any trace of his accent, and of
course, to wear that dratted cloth tied about his
head masking his features.

Without another word, he turned and strode
toward the terrace. Now he would put his plan into
place. Robert Darlington may have escaped his fall
from grace by succumbing to an early death, but his
family would still suffer. Suffer as the Montayas
family had suffered.

Mateo looked back at the beautiful young
woman standing at the edge of the garden. An
unexpected pang of guilt assailed him. He would
give her fair warning of what he intended. It was
more than her father had done.







1 comment:

Katherine said...

Thank you, Brynna for the wonderful interview.