We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Monday, November 7, 2011

Welcome Author Nina Croft

*Admin note - The author has generously offered a copy of The Calling to one person who comments and leaves their email address between 11/9 and 11/16. Winner will be announced in the comments section of the post.
Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?

I come from a small town in the north of England called Kendal. Kendal is also known as ‘the gateway to the lakes’, as it is in the lake district, a spectacularly beautiful area of lakes and mountains. But it rains. A lot. So I now live in the mountains of southern Spain where it’s still spectacularly beautiful, but it doesn’t rain quite so much!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?

It changed depending on what I was reading – a soldier, a spaceman, a pirate, an assassin, even a phase when I wanted to be a talking horse. Somehow, I ended up as an accountant – not sure how that happened.

Tell us about your latest book.

My latest book is, The Calling. It is book two in my Laws of Segregation series, and is a fantasy romance which mostly takes place in a world where witches and warlocks exist. On the world of Arroway, witches have been persecuted for a thousand years, but now they are fighting back.

Blurb:
On the world of Arroway, witches have been persecuted for a thousand years, stripped of their magic at birth and kept as slaves by the Order of Warlocks.

Freya, a pleasure slave, fled from the Order while pregnant. Now she’s been recaptured, and to save her daughter and the world of Arroway, she must work with one of the hated warlocks while fighting her growing attraction for him.

From the first time she knelt before him, Jarrod was drawn to Freya. Twenty years ago, he would have given up everything to be with her, but she had run from him. Now, he has another chance. But can he risk destroying their world for a forbidden love that might never be returned?

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?

I think the hardest part for me, is actually making the decision about what to write at any particular time. There are so many things that I want to write, but there comes a point where I have to pick one of them and that means I can’t write the others, at least not yet. Oh – and drinking cold coffee – I always seem to be drinking cold coffee!

What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

Persevere and don’t give up. I really think that makes the difference for many writers as to whether they succeed or fail. And try different things. There is so much advice out there on how to write, but everybody is different and the only way to find what works for you is to experiment.

Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

I do, but I usually just keep on writing. Sometimes what I write at these times is unusable, but it usually gets me through the writer’s block.

Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?

I have loads of favorite authors including, Laurell K Hamilton, Anne Rice, Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, JR Ward. I love books that take you to other worlds. But I think the books that have influenced me most are The Lord of the Rings, Frank Herbert’s Dune, and probably Rosemary Roger’s Sweet Savage Love, which really started my love of romance.

How did you deal with rejection letters?

Cry. Actually, no I don’t cry. Strangely, I’m getting better at coping with rejection. I think when you start out, you think it will never happen; you’ll never get an acceptance. But once you’ve had a few, you realize that this whole business is very subjective. Not everyone is going to love your work, just as you, as a reader, don’t love all writers, and there’s a big element of luck involved as to whose desk you land on.

Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?

I don’t actually think about it too much – I tend to just go with the flow and do what feels right for the particular characters. I don’t do much gory, but my erotic content can go quite high.

Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.

Website: www.ninacroft.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000273215409
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/@Nina_Croft

1 comment:

booklover0226 said...

Nina Croft is a new author for me; I must be living under a rock!

I enjoyed the interview; it was a great read.

I just checked out her works; now I'm looking for my credit card!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com