We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, December 16, 2011

Welcome Author Melinda Leigh

I want to thank You Gotta Readfor hosting a stop on my blog tour to celebrate the recent release of my debut novel, SHE CAN RUN.  It’s so exciting to share this experience with other book lovers.
1.    How did you come up with the title for your book(s)?
The title “SHE CAN RUN” is obviously a play on “you can run but you can’t hide.”  I wanted to convey Beth’s feeling of desperation from the very first page. No matter how long or how far she runs, Richard will eventually find her. The confrontation between them ispreordained.
2.      Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
Yes!  I get a lot of ideas reading news headlines, but I try not to read the story. Once I get over my initial what-a-terrible-thing-to-happen reaction, my brain starts with, “what if..?”
3.      How much of your work is real? How much is fantasy?
We all know there are more serial killers on TV and in fiction than in the real world (let’s hope so, anyway). I didn’t allow my killer an excuse of a terrible upbringing. I wanted him to be truly wicked because evil is fascinating, hence the popularity of crime shows on TV.
Beth’s situation is entirely too real.  Domestic abuse is more common than most people would imagine, and a woman can’t just walk away from that type of relationship. Nearly a third of female homicide victims are killed by their intimate partners. I teach women’s self-defense, so this reality is always fresh in the back of my mind.
4.  Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
I don’t know any writer who doesn’t occasionally suffer from the what-comes-next dilemma.  Sometimes I can write my way through it, perhaps jumping to another scene that I know is going to occur later in the book.  Other times, I need to step away and just think about the situation. I review my storyboard.  I use notecards to keep track of plot lines and character arcs.  How can I make these things intersect for maximum conflict?  When all else fails, a phone call to a critique partner usually gets me back on track. I’ve worked with the same few people for several years.  They know how my mind operates.
5.  How did you deal with rejection letters?
You never really get used to your work being rejected, but rejection is a big part of the business. Initially, constructive rejections were useful in pin-pointing why the book wasn’t selling. Did it need more work? More suspense? More romance? Did the sex need to be hotter for today’s market?  SHE CAN RUN went through multiple rewrites, and some of those changes were based on comments in rejection letters. 
6.  What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
Notecards.Lots of notecards. I place the plot cards on a magnetic whiteboard. I used to write directly on the board but found that being able to shuffle the cards around is more flexible. 
7.  Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?
I love horror, so occasionally I have to dial back on the gore during revisions.  But if my character is in a situation that needs to evoke terror, a certain level of description is needed to bring the reader along with her. 
Ironically, I often need to increase the heat in a love scene in the revision process. Sex was very difficult to learn to write. I have certain words I refuse to use. For me, crude language often kills the mood.  There must always be emotion and intimacy in the love scene.
8.  Where can we find out more about your books?
My website, MelindaLeighAuthor.com, has all the information on my books and author events.  Readers can also find me on my website, on Facebook&Twitter.   
Thanks for joining me today!

Melinda Leigh web site:
http://melindaleighauthor.com
Melinda Leigh Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/melindaleighauthorpage
Melinda Leigh Twitter:
http://twitter.com//MelindaLeigh1

Tribute Books Blog Tours Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tribute-Books-Blog-Tours/242431245775186


She Can Run blog tour site:
http://shecanrunblogtour.blogspot.com

She Can Run Book Summary
Elizabeth was a young widow with two small children when she met Congressman Richard Baker. Handsome and wealthy, with a sparkling public image, Richard seemed like the perfect man to provide the security that Beth and her kids were craving. But when she uncovers a dangerous secret about her new husband, Beth realizes he will go to any lengths—even murder—to keep it. After barely escaping with her life, she and her children flee. They eventually make their way to a secluded estate in the Pennsylvania countryside, where Beth dares to hope she has found a safe place at last…

Forced into retirement by an unexpected injury, Philadelphia homicide detective Jack O’Malley is mourning the loss of his career when his uncle abruptly dies, leaving Jack to dispose of his crumbling country house. Unbeknownst to him, his uncle engaged a caretaker just before his death, a mysterious woman with two children and a beautiful face that haunts his dreams. Determined to know her, Jack begins an investigation into Beth’s past. When he uncovers the shocking truth, and a local woman is viciously murdered, Jack puts his own life on the line to keep Beth and her children safe.

She Can Run is a sexy, satisfying debut from award-winning author Melinda Leigh, packed with enough suspense and romance to get even the tamest heart racing!

Melinda Leigh's Bio:
More than a decade ago, Melinda Leigh left a career in banking to raise her children and never looked back. She started writing when her youngest child entered first grade as a way to preserve her sanity. Her paranormal romance and romantic suspense fiction has won writing awards across the country, including The Gateway to the Best Contest, The Marlene Award, Where the Magic Begins, Put Your Heart in a Book, and The Golden Gateway 1st Round Grand Prize.

Melinda is also an avid martial artist. She holds a 2nd degree belt in Kenpo Karate, studies Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and teaches women’s self-defense. She lives in a messy house in the suburbs with her husband, two teenagers, a couple of dogs and one neurotic cat with an inexplicable fear of ceiling fans. With such a pleasant life, she has no explanation for the sometimes dark and disturbing nature of her imagination.

Paperback
Price: $13.95
ISBN: 9781612181516
Pages: 326
Release: November 28, 2011

Amazon buy link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1612181511/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tributebooks-20

Barnes&Noble.com buy link
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/she-can-run-melinda-leigh/1106603768?ean=9781612181516&itm=1&usri=she%2bcan%2brun%2bmelinda%2bleigh
 
eBook
Price: $7.99

Kindle buy link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053TIB6I/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tributebooks-20

Publisher's Weekly Review:
“In her debut romantic suspense, Leigh carefully weaves the subplot of a serial killer with the main plot of an abused wife on the run and successfully ties the threads in a thrilling conclusion… Leigh’s tight, consistent plotting marks her as an author to watch.”

2 comments:

Tribute Books said...

Brynna, thanks for sharing Melinda's thoughts with your blog readers. We appreciate your support of her debut novel.

Melinda, I really like how you said you didn't give your killer the excuse of having a bad upbringing. I think that's a common trap and you slipped out of it brilliantly.

Melinda Leigh said...

For this book, I wanted a no-excuses evil for my villain. He is truly wicked.

Brynna, thanks for the opportunity to share my excitement and my book with your readers!