We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Welcome Author Stephanie Rowe

* Admin note - Ms. Rowe has generously offered to one commentor a copy of any book from her Soul Fire series, winner's choice.  To enter the giveaway, please leave your email address with your comment. The contest is is open to U.S. and Canadian residents only, except where prohibited by law. Contest ends January 4, 2012. 


 Without her passions, she has no magic…

It's unfortunate for Natalie that Nigel Aquarian is so compelling. With his inner demons, his unbridled heat, and his "I will conquer you" looks, he calls to her in exactly the way that nearly killed her.

But losing control means losing her life…
That he's an immortal warrior and that her powers rise from intense passions would seem to make them a match made in heaven, but unless they embrace their greatest fears, they'll play out their final match in hell.
Coming January 1, 2012


·         As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?
    • Hmm… as a child I had a lot of visions about what I wanted to be! I wanted to a professional horseback rider. I wanted to train dogs. Interestingly, in my high school year book, I picked psychiatrist as what I would be in ten years. The reason I selected that career was because I wanted to help people feel better. Although I never followed that career path specifically, I do still very compelled by a need to help bring relief into other people's lives. That's one of the reasons I write romance—because it has a happy ending and gives the message that even when times seems so bleak and so tough, that there always hope. I recently published a book called THE FEEL GOOD LIFE which is a collection of essays that I wrote when I was struggling through time times. The essays were my attempts to redirect my life and to feel better, and I compiled them into a book in hopes that other people would read them and find relief as well. I belief that we all deserve to feel good, and my hope is that through my writing, whether it's my romances or my non-fiction, that I can bring that into people's lives, even if it's only a brief respite from whatever it is that they are facing.

·         Tell us about your books.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
    • My next release is the third book in my funny & sexy Soulfire paranormal series. It's called HOLD ME IF YOU CAN, and it's coming next week! I'm also re-releasing my Alaskan romantic suspense series as eBooks in January with the books ICE and CHILL. And, I'm really excited about a new dark paranormal series I have called The Order of the Blade, which is coming out in 2012. The first three books are a trilogy, and the first one will be released in February, with the next two coming shortly thereafter. So, lots of action coming soon!

·         Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?
    • I am always paying attention to everything that I see, hear, notice or experience, and tucking it away for inclusion in a book. You just never know when something will come up! My Alaska series was born one night while I was grocery shopping. I started chatting to the gal at the bakery, who told me how she had been living in Alaska training to be a bush pilot, but had to come home to take care of her ailing father. We started discussing Alaskan bush pilots (primarily a male occupation), and I became so interested in the kind of man who would risk his life every day to take care of others that my Alaskan bush pilot series soon came to life. You just never know where the ideas will come from!

·         Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
    • Oh, it's all tough! It can be really difficult to pull a complex idea together so it works well. I usually spend about the same amount of time brainstorming a book and outlining it, as I do actually writing it. If I do my prep-work well, then often the book will be written in even less time than it took to prepare it. The other thing I think is challenging with writing is the emotional aspect. It can be really daunting to write a book, to field rejections and criticism, and to critique your own work without feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to give yourself freedom to do the best you can and then let it be. Perfection is not a goal. The best you can do in that moment is all you can ask for, and it's always enough.

·         What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
    • My usual advice is to write a lot, start new books instead of revising old ones to death, join RWA and go to conferences to learn about writing. And, of course, continuing to read. But with the advent of self-publishing, I would add a caveat of DON'T SELF PUBLISH TOO SOON. I wrote 18 books before I sold my first book. Had self-publishing been an option back then, I'm sure I would have put up lots of those books, and it would have been a mistake. Why? Because the books weren't good enough. Recently, I decided to self-publish some of those old books, but when I went back to look at them, I realized that I would have had to completely rewrite them from scratch because they weren't high enough quality to put up. The truth is that we often think we are ready to be published when we aren't.  Enter contests. Query agents. Write another book. And another. Eventually, when you start doing well in contests, and when you start getting good responses from agents, that will be a sign that you're writing well enough that maybe it's time for you to self-publish successfully. Until you can do well in those contests and get good responses from submissions, don't put your book up on Amazon. Putting up books that aren't ready will hurt you more than waiting a year will. Be patient. The opportunities aren't going away. They are simply getting better.
Author Bio: Four-time RITA® Award nominee and Golden Heart® Award winner Stephanie Rowe is the nationally bestselling author of more than twenty published books with major New York publishers, including HarperCollins, Grand Center and Harlequin. Stephanie has received starred reviews from Booklist and high praise from Publisher's Weekly. Stephanie writes romance (paranormal, contemporary and suspense), teen fiction, middle grade fiction and inspirational non-fiction. A former attorney, Stephanie lives in Boston where she is actively working on her next project, a dark paranormal series called The Order of the Blade, which will be launching in February. For more information on Stephanie, visit www.stephanierowe.com. She can also be found at http://twitter.com/stephanierowe2, https://www.facebook.com/StephanieRoweAuthor, and http://wickedauthors.blogspot.com/.


15 comments:

raven said...

I enjoyed your interview! I hope you have had a great holiday season!
raven7932@gmail.com
Melody

Collins said...

Great advice to new writers. Thanks for stopping by to talk to us today.
4lisacollins [at] gmail.com

bookbunny68 said...

Love the Alaska setting. You don't see many books about that area.

Keep up the good work!

Tamara Hoffa said...

Love the cover on Hold Me If You Can.
I can't wait to read this series

sugerlady@aol.com

Ashley said...

Love the Series!
ashcuesta@gmail.com

Liesa Manis said...

Love the Covers!! Thank you for the interview!!


liesa008@comcast.net

alainala said...

i have to confess.. i dont think ive read this series!! i would love the chance.. i have read and loved the immortally sexy series though!!

alainala AT hotmail DOT ca

mindy said...

would love to read this series. Looks HoT!

engie79@hotmail.com

jacobyfan288 said...

Love this series and the attention to the womanly arts that make the characters stronger. All of the characters are engaging and hysterically funny! Just love all of the interactions. By the end of each book I am in tears of joy and sadness. Joy for the outcome and sadness that I have to wait for the next installment! Each book so far has been great so no fav yet. Can't wait to read Nigel's story.

Stephanie Rowe said...

Hi Raven, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed the interviews

Hi Collins. Thanks! I'm glad my advice was helpful.

Hi Bookbunny68. Thanks! I had tons of fun writing the Alaska series. I read a bunch of books to do research, and it was super cool. Btw, did you know you were the winner over at Three Crazy Chicks on December 15? Email me with your snail mail so we can get the prize out to you!

Thanks, Tammie! I love that cover too. Sourcebooks did an amazing job with all the covers for this series!

Thanks, Ashley. Big hugs!

Hi Liesa! Thanks so much. I love the covers, too!

HI Alainala. Thanks for stopping by! I'm so glad you enjoyed the Immortally Sexy series. I loved that series so much. Hopefully I will be able to get it going again soon. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, Mindy! Hot is good! 

Hi Jacobyfan288. You are so sweet! Thank you for all the nice words. You just made my day! Christian's story will be out this summer, so stay tuned for that one, too! 

Cindy McCune said...

When I see you have a new book coming out, it's a MUST buy for me! LOVED the interview :)

Stephanie Rowe said...

Wow, Cindy, thanks! That is so cool!

Katrina W said...

Great interview and your cover is Swoon material !! ooh harrr !!!!

Love it !! ololl.

kat

kittee_cat@bigpond.com

Melissa P said...

Great interview.
I will be keeping an eye out for your new books. I have lived in Alaska for almost 20 years and to think about all the times I have flown in a bush plane...it has been all men pilots. I dont remember one female. It is kinda funny thinking about that now. I never really paid much attention to it until now. It was a good laugh.

Stephanie Rowe said...

Hi Katrina! Thanks so much!!! LOL on the cover. What a hunk-o-burnin-love, eh?

Hi Melissa! Thanks for stopping by! That's so cool that you're from Alaska and have real life bush pilot experience!