We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, January 27, 2012

Blog Tour - Cassandra Carr

·         Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?

I am a proud Buffalonian. I truly love it here for so many reasons. First of all, let’s dispel the myth that it’s like Siberia. It’s totally not. Soooo many places get more snow than Buffalo, but for some reason they get all the attention. The summers here are GORGEOUS, too. But more than that, the people are so great. They help each other out and they’re very nice for the most part.

·         Tell us about your latest book.  Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?

Well, *taking deep breath*, I’ve got more than one “latest book”. In November 2011 Siren Bookstrand released book 1 of the Buffalo Intimidators series, Head Games. It’s a ménage story with hockey and foodie themes. In December Loose Id released my holiday novella. That one has a heavy BDSM slant. Yes, I managed to work BDSM into a holiday-themed story! Woo-hoo!
As far as stuff in the works, there’s tons, but nothing I can talk about yet. Yes, I know I’m a tease. Watch Twitter, Facebook, and my website for news!

·         Have you ever used contemporary events or stories “ripped from the headlines” in your work?

Not really, but hockey fans who read Head Games may recognize one of the situations in it is an altered version of something that actually happened to the Sabres. *intrigue*

·         What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

Write, write, write. You’ll probably be long-winded, so be prepared to cut your precious words. Have someone who knows what they’re doing – a published author, a reviewer, a passionate reader – beta read your stuff and don’t be afraid to get honest opinions. Don’t expect your first work to be brilliant – you get better at writing the more you practice. One other thing – writing is a subjective business, and yes, it is a BUSINESS. It can be a hobby, but to many of us, it’s a business. Treat it as such.
·         Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?
Sure, every writer does. For the most part I write through it. And you know what? Oftentimes what I write during that period ends up being okay and makes it into the final book.

·         Who is your favorite author and why? What books have most influenced your life?

I’m not sure I have one “favorite author”. I have many authors that I really enjoy. I think the books that really influenced me were the ones that made me a reader, not a writer. When I was growing up I read the Trixie Belden books, Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, etc (totally dating myself here). My favorite book growing up one that I’ve held onto through probably a dozen moves? The Westing Game, by Sue Raskin. If you’ve got a kid between the ages of about ten and twenty, give it to them. Do it now.

·         How did you deal with rejection letters?

Oh, sigh. Yes, we all get them. And what I’m about to tell you will make you want to slap me. Rejection hurts. It sucks. But I lived through cancer (I really did!), so when I get a rejection letter, it bums me out for a little while and then I move on. Sometimes I make somebody tell me I’m awesome. That helps too.

The thing about rejections is – as I said above, this is a subjective business. What one person hates, another may love. Don’t put too much heed into form rejections, but pay attention to personalized ones, especially if more than place sends one for the same book and they both say the same thing. In that case, make that change, because they’re probably right. ;-)

Also, rejection doesn’t mean you’re a bad writer. There are a million reasons manuscripts get rejected, and only about 20% of them is because someone is a bad writer.

·         What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?

A laptop, Word, and Twitter. Hear me out on this Twitter thing. If you’re a writer, you spend most of your day inside your own head. Talking to people on Twitter, as long as it’s not cutting into your writing productivity, will help keep you sane. Plus it’s a great networking and promotion tool!

·         Where do you as an author draw the line on gory descriptions and/or erotic content?

I don’t do gore at all. For erotic stuff, I won’t use the “C-word” for a woman’s bits. It’s one of the only words I find offensive. I also won’t include anything I think is dangerous, like breath play (or autoerotic asphyxiation, if you prefer the technical term). Other than that, I don’t have many content restrictions.
·         What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in the name of research?

Oh man, where do I start? I contacted a professional bull rider to get the skinny on the sport (and asked him to read my book!), I’ve contacted both Doms and subs to get the inside scoop on BDSM…there’s tons more, but I don’t want to bore you.

·         Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AuthorCassandraCarr

2 comments:

Cassandra Carr said...

Thanks for having me here today!

Cara Bristol said...

At first I wouldn't use the C word either. But then I found out many woman prefer the C word to the P word and after a while, I got used to it. Now I use them interchangeably.